PDA

View Full Version : Code PO304

RAZ
01/24/2011, 04:13 PM
My Vx was running good today. But then this afternoon I ran out to the store and got a flashing check engine light. And it felt like running on 4 cylinders (No power) and smelled like burning rubber! Got back home to check the code and it said linking error. So unhooked battery for 1/2 hour drove around block till light came on and it was PO300 randon misfire. Reset again, drove around block now PO304. It was running bad after both resets
Help I need this fixed any ideas?
Thanks Steve

tom4bren
01/24/2011, 04:16 PM
Have you tried to look up those codes in the shop manual? It's in the Download Section.

RAZ
01/24/2011, 04:21 PM
PO300 is randon misfire
PO304 is cylinder 4 misfire
Burning smell worries me

SouthJ1
01/24/2011, 04:37 PM
I have had both problems my problem was clogged injectors tho and now it is fixed i just sent all of the injectors off and got them cleaned also throw some fuel injector cleaner in see if that helps a little its like 3.99 at autozone.

Triathlete
01/24/2011, 07:16 PM
Also tap on the fuel rails to help unclog them. Might also check your plugs. Also since there was a "burn" smell check the wiring going to the plugs to make sure they are okay (especially the ones going to cylinder 4).

Dmitrikr
01/24/2011, 07:20 PM
Burning smell - too much unburnt fuel into cat converter - overheating/melting cats may be. Mine was dead coil on cyl#6

RAZ
01/25/2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks
I got new plugs and I am going to swap the coils on cylinders 2 and 4 to see if anything changes while changing the plugs.
Hopefully will not take to long its cold out
Steve

Mile High VX
01/25/2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks
I got new plugs and I am going to swap the coils on cylinders 2 and 4 to see if anything changes while changing the plugs.
Hopefully will not take to long its cold out
Steve

If you've never changed the plugs on the VX before the wells are deep!

I found it helpful to use a piece of vaccum hose about 12" long to get the plugs started. Just put it on the end and lower the plug into the well and twist to get the plug started. Keeps you from dropping them into the well and upsetting the gap. Of course if you have a magnetic plug socket that works great too...:yeso::yesb::yesgray::yesy:

Marlin
01/25/2011, 06:49 AM
Of course if you have a magnetic plug socket that works great too...:yeso::yesb::yesgray::yesy:

I just bought some rare earth magnets at northern tool, put one on each oil plug for the three trucks, and very handy to keep on the ratchet. I just put it anywhere on the socket I am using and it is strong enough to align the domains of the steel and make it a temporary magnet. Would work fine for a spark plug socket.

RAZ
01/25/2011, 09:28 AM
Changed the plugs and switched the coils from cylinders 2 and 4
Still running bad but code went from PO304 to PO302
So I think I have a bad coil. I hope, Dont have job right now and cant be wasting a 100 dollars but still need to go looking for one.
Steve

Mile High VX
01/25/2011, 09:31 AM
Send him a PM...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19265

Or use ebay with free shipping...also $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Ignition-Coil-Ignition-Module-/230526823834?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu%7CModel%3AVehiCROSS&hash=item35ac782d9a

RAZ
01/25/2011, 12:01 PM
Well I got a new coil pac and it runs good again. But as driving got PO137 bank 1 sensor low volts. Reset it and its stayed off so far. But burning smell still there a little. I hope its just left over gas in the cat? from when cylinder was not firing?

tom4bren
01/25/2011, 12:11 PM
Keeping fingers crossed.

Dmitrikr
01/25/2011, 07:03 PM
Well I got a new coil pac and it runs good again. But as driving got PO137 bank 1 sensor low volts. Reset it and its stayed off so far. But burning smell still there a little. I hope its just left over gas in the cat? from when cylinder was not firing?

Take it on highway for an hour - to burn all gas from the catalitic. otherwise short trips not good for gasoline flooded cats- no enough flow will glaze cats inside

deermagnet
01/25/2011, 07:31 PM
When I had a misfire it was caused by a shorted wire causing the injector to be open all the time. That dumped waaaaaay more gas than a no-spark misfire. The gas smell was incredible. They did an engine flush to get all the gas out. On the way home from the shop I got the code for the sensor behind the cat and thought I would need a new cat. I erased the code on the way home and it never came back after the 60 mile trip home with plenty of high speed driving. A couple years later and the cat is still good.

Your cat may have used up one life, but hopefully it will live for many more years.

Mark

RAZ
01/26/2011, 03:37 AM
Drove it for a hour yesterday, Ran good, Smell is alot better and code did not come back. So all is good I hope.

tom4bren
01/26/2011, 04:58 AM
Drove it for a hour yesterday, Ran good, Smell is alot better and code did not come back. So all is good I hope.

WooHoo!

That is great news.