PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Swap?

Exclamation
01/25/2011, 08:05 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before but my search didn't really come up with the answers I am looking for. I would really like to swap my engine with an LS1 in the future, I know that my transmission would need to be replaced as well. What transmission would be the best to use? and is there a transmission that can handle the power of the LS1 but also keep the 4WD capabilities? Also what other parts need replacing other than the engine and the transmission. A main problem in my case is I have barely any knowledge of how to work on cars so I will need to have a shop do most of the work (more like ALL of the work) Including labor and all im looking for a price estimate by someone who knows about this kinda thing. Im estimating around 10k for the swap but I do not know. Also, are there any other engine/transmission combinations that can make around 300-350hp other than the LS1? Thanks for any input! :grino::grino:

(Also if everything ive asked has been discussed before dont be afraid to tell me im stupid and need to learn how to search better I have tough skin haha)

Exclamation
01/25/2011, 08:07 PM
Oh and has an LS1 swap been done successfully on a VX before?

jdm monkey
01/25/2011, 08:16 PM
Yes it can be done.

Exclamation
01/25/2011, 08:17 PM
By the way I tried to PM you back and it says you dont have any storage left

Triathlete
01/25/2011, 10:01 PM
Anything can be done with enough skill and/or $$$$$.

Do a search for Ascinders build.

A few things that you will probably need to consider replacing alsp also include tcase and axles for something a bit beefier.

Exclamation
01/25/2011, 10:10 PM
Im wondering if I could pretty much just find a shop that I could hand the vcross, an LS1, and 10k to and say do it however you can lol and I have read the thread on Ascinders build already.

jdm monkey
01/25/2011, 10:54 PM
By the way I tried to PM you back and it says you dont have any storage left
Cleared.

ZEUS
01/25/2011, 11:03 PM
Well..... first, what terrains would your VX be traveling upon?
If it is a street queen, the stock axles should hold up fine IMO. You may be able to retain TOD that way, simplifing things. You would have to investigate the spline count for the input shaft of the t-case as well as the bolt pattern of the mount to the trans to discover what options you have.
Don't limit yourself to just an LS1... let's say LSx. So then, if you are serious about the swap and figure out you can keep your t-case, be on the lookout for an engine+trans combo with computers. Otherwise, you need to find also a t-case with a passenger side drop that can bolt up to your new trans. At that point you may or may not have to change out your driveshafts. With a swap like this, modification to the rad support, firewall, trans tunnel, and perhaps floor may have to be performed to allow fitment. LS truck motors are dimensionally the same as the cars but the belt-driven accessories, intakes, and oil pans are different. So be on the lookout for car motors versus the truck motors to simplify fitment. Locations of the A/C compressor vary (low mount, near frame rail, would be problematic) and there are solutions to relocate - some affordable, some around $2000, believe it or not. I got my used complete 2006 aluminum 5.3 LS with 4L60E trans and wiring harness for $2000. Steering shaft, exhaust manifolds/headers, heater box, A/C system, radiator, crossmember, front diff, driveshaft, starter, oil pan, hood, inner fenders, etc... these are all potential clearance issues to address.

..............Good luck............... ;)

Ascinder
01/26/2011, 06:36 AM
Coachreed on this forum got an LS1 into a VX, but never got everything hooked back up. In my opinion it's the little things that everyone usually overlooks that will mess up the swap. Sure physically you can fit it, but what about all the computer interfaces to be dealt with? Nowadays your engine and even transmission need to know how fast your vehicle is going to do their jobs correctly. You would also need a way to pull and possibly adapt the the tachometer signal from the engine to get the gauge to work right. You would need adapters for the fuel lines as well since they use a different connection. You'd probably have to take it to an a/c shop to get everything plumbed together again. The radiator is an issue since it was designed for a V6 not a V8. I think with 10 grand it's very doable, but it really depends on the shop. You aren't going to be able to just run down to Joes oil changes r' us on the corner and have them knock it out. I would really search long and hard an be comfortable with whatever shop I was going to let play mad scientist with my VX.

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 10:01 AM
Alright thanks for all the input everyone!

Zeus: I would primarily be driving on road but maybe occasionally a dirt road here and there. The reason I was sugguesting an LS1 primarily, is because I was planning on just getting the engine from a z28 camaro, they come pretty cheap found a few for around 5k so I might be able to get the engine, tranny, radiator and other parts needed for the swap all for 5k from the maro and after I strip all I need from it I could part the rest out and probably recoup a couple hundred dollars.

Ascinder: I have a friend who's father has a shop and does alot of strange work like engine swaps and aftermarket installations. I might give him a call and see what he might be able to do with it. I also have a shop around the airport here that works on the larger isuzu trucks and they were the place I took my vcross to, to find out what was wrong with the tranny and they seemed very knowledgeable and found out that I had a cracked head while they were looking at the tranny. they probably could do the swap but would probably be more expensive than my friends father haha.

Once again thanks all for the help and input!!! :yeso::yeso::yeso::yeso::yesb::yesb::yesb::yesb:

vt_maverick
01/26/2011, 10:43 AM
I hope your VX isn't your daily driver... seems like lots of downtime will be required.

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 11:58 AM
I have a mazda miata to drive while its being worked on thank god for that cause my vx has been in the shop for over 30 days now getting a new tranny hoping to get it back end of next week

AlaskaVX
01/26/2011, 12:27 PM
^ Don't use that shop LOL ^

dropping old and getting a new tranny should only take a couple hours. 30 days WTF are they doing?

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 01:09 PM
well they apparently had trouble getting the tranny, They sent me a text on monday saying they are expecting the tranny to be delivered late this week dono what too it so long?

Triathlete
01/26/2011, 01:49 PM
Tranny! (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=48238):yesy:

jdm monkey
01/26/2011, 04:02 PM
well they apparently had trouble getting the tranny, They sent me a text on monday saying they are expecting the tranny to be delivered late this week dono what too it so long?
Wow. VX trannies are readily available.

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 04:36 PM
Yea I dont understand it either but oh well I didnt have to pay for a thing and I didnt buy their warranty or anything soo im happy :P

BeeVenom
01/26/2011, 06:37 PM
I know there was member back a year or more ago who was doing that ls1 install and even had PICS posted if i remember correctly. It may have been Coachreed, as Ascinder mentions, just don't remember for sure. He was going to continue updates but i don't know what happened from there. What an awesome combo that would be, though!

Mile High VX
01/26/2011, 06:52 PM
It was Coachreed...his gallery has some pretty cool pics...looks like he was hooked up to use the VX trany and tfer case with the LS1.

johnnyapollo
01/26/2011, 07:01 PM
Couchreed got all the way to the point of wiring things up and then sold his rig to AlaskaVX as I recall. From what I remember most of the mechanicals were worked out (he did have to custom fab some plates and whatnot to get the TOD working) - ultimately it was getting the ECU to work with everything that was the headache.

If you go with a simplified swap (like something with a carb and no fuel injection) you could probably have an easier time with it - of course you still have to deal with the emission problem if you live somewhere that has emission requirements. If you're looking for torque, a diesel swap may be easier to do, especially if you pull a turbo diesel from another Isuzu that uses the same tranny.

-- John

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 07:15 PM
Any turbo diesels that make around 300 hp? But are reliable and easy to fix? i wanted to go with an LS line engine because they are quite common and are easy to fix and quite reliable as compared to the isuzu engines.

Triathlete
01/26/2011, 08:17 PM
Any turbo diesels that make around 300 hp? But are reliable and easy to fix? i wanted to go with an LS line engine because they are quite common and are easy to fix and quite reliable as compared to the isuzu engines.

Isuzu...unreliable? I know of many, many zu's with well over 200,000 on the clock including vx's. I have 140,000 on mine.

Exclamation
01/26/2011, 08:22 PM
Well ive heard of many engine failures with the VX and mine consumes oil I would rather have something that didnt consume any, plus a little more umph behind the pedal wouldnt hurt.

BeeVenom
01/29/2011, 04:33 PM
I think some of the original '99 VX's had oil and front main bearing issues and somehow suffered from oil starvation if they were accelerated hard on a regular basis. I'm just kinda remembering something along that line but Isuzu fixed it in the last two production years? I add the ? 'cuz I'm not 100% sure of all the details, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. :confused:

Ascinder
01/29/2011, 06:36 PM
^ Don't use that shop LOL ^

dropping old and getting a new tranny should only take a couple hours. 30 days WTF are they doing?

ROFLMAO, and how long have you had coachreed's VX with the engine and tranny already installed? J/K, I just thought I'd throw that out there since everyone dogs me on being slow on my build too ;)

Anyways, exclamation, it sounds like your friends dad is the kind of guy I'd go to for sure. It's all too often that I run into "certified" shop or dealer mechanics who only know how to replace an apple with an apple so to speak. For stuff like you're dealing with, a knowledgeable but open minded person will do wonders for actually getting things done. In swaps there are just too many unpredictable snags for the average wrench monkey to wrap their head around. Good luck! If you need any direction or hit any problem areas, drop me a PM.

VX KAT
01/29/2011, 10:31 PM
I think some of the original '99 VX's had oil and front main bearing issues and somehow suffered from oil starvation if they were accelerated hard on a regular basis. I'm just kinda remembering something along that line but Isuzu fixed it in the last two production years? I add the ? 'cuz I'm not 100% sure of all the details, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. :confused:

Think this is the info you're thinking of....
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16157&highlight=built+2000 - see Post #9 particularly.

Exclamation
01/31/2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the help all! :D

AlaskaVX
01/31/2011, 01:30 PM
Coachreed had also installed the 4L60 transmission to handle the extra ooomph but stock transfer case.

ROFLMAO, and how long have you had coachreed's VX with the engine and tranny already installed? J/K, I just thought I'd throw that out there since everyone dogs me on being slow on my build too ;)
Hey quit typing and start building! These people demand to see it done NOW! :bwgy:

Ascinder
01/31/2011, 01:47 PM
Hey quit typing and start building! These people demand to see it done NOW!

I'm afraid I may have to disappoint. Looks like it's pretty likely my VX project will be on hold for about 1 year while I go play over in the sandbox :rollo2:

plr
05/10/2011, 08:30 PM
Just a message for Exclamation. The LS1 just fits in the VX and the best trany to use is the 4L60E. If you want to stay with the TOD, you will have to use a 4L60E from a 4x4 and make a custom adapter plate. The other option is use a long tail 4L60E for a 2WD application which would save you allot of time and money. I dropped in a LS1 (LQ9) in my VX 3-4 years ago with a 4L60E and I love it. I might even drop one in my other VX but we will have to see. Good luck!

Triathlete
05/10/2011, 08:39 PM
Pics...Pics...Pics...Pics!!!:yesy:

FlyingV77
05/10/2011, 08:39 PM
what was the cost of the swap?

Exclamation
05/10/2011, 10:40 PM
Still havent gotten around to it, My money has been going towards other mods to the VX like audio, wheels, and such also ive been putting money away for a track car as well but whenever I get around to the swap I will post pictures prices and everything. With the way things are going, paying for college on top of my expensive hobby it looks like it might be ahwile haha sorry for not having your answer! but after counting everything I was looking at a target price of a ballpark $10,000 Hope this helps!

EDIT: I didnt see plr's post on the previous page! im assuming FlyingV77 you were asking him for a price! I apologize for my misunderstanding (: haha

Also thank you plr for the tips, they will be very helpful! What other parts did you have to change out for the swap other than the transmission?