PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about barefoot driving.

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 05:37 AM
I get so peeved that my daughter tries to drive without shoes or just in sandals. I just don't believe that one can brake properly in an impending bad accident situation. I have been after her for 4 years now "drive with shoes on %$#@!" and she just doesn't get it. She is home from college for the weekend and twice now has tried to drive my VX without shoes. A:mado::mady::mado2::mady2::upsetgray:madb::madb2: ugh!:badhorse:

etlsport
02/18/2011, 06:40 AM
i cant drive in sandals at all, my feet slip around and its just not a good situation..

when im wearing sandals i do drive barefoot, never had any real issues, but anytime i do, i have the air conditioning blasting in the footwell area to prevent sweat etc from making me slip

Exclamation
02/18/2011, 06:43 AM
Well when I took drivers ed years ago I came with my flip flops on and the driving instructor made me drive barefoot instead of using the flip flops because she said they are dangerous because the flip flop can get caught on the pedals. So your daughter driving barefoot might be better then making her put sandals or flip flops on.

That being said though I have never worn anything but flip flops to drive in the summer since then and had no problems so far haha.

JHarris1385
02/18/2011, 06:51 AM
As someone who wears sandals alot....(Rainbows) I have NEVER had one issue with them. And I never take them off to drive with a barefoot on the pedal. I would however believe it has a lot to do with the individual as well.

nocturnalVX
02/18/2011, 06:53 AM
I have driven barefoot many times, and never had any trouble. The pedals are not that comfortable on bare feet (doubt the designers had this in mind), and I'd say that the gas pedal feels much smaller. I wouldn't wear flip flops because the pedals are very close together and might get caught on them.

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 07:02 AM
This is NOT what I want to hear!!!!!! You all need to reaffirm that braking just can't be as aggressive when needed cause your afraid your little footy is going to hurt!!!

vt_maverick
02/18/2011, 07:15 AM
I wouldn't wear flip flops because the pedals are very close together and might get caught on them.

That would be exactly my observation. I've had difficulty driving with flip-flops or soccer slides (JHarris, is that was you meant by rainbows?) because they tend to catch the bottom of the pedal. I do drive with closed-toe sandals on a lot in the summer and have never had a problem with them. I've also drive from time-to-time barefoot, but only when I was wearing flops or just driving the VX down the beach. Barefoot is much more safe than flops IMHO.

circmand
02/18/2011, 07:22 AM
driving barefoot is fine and safe solong as you do not mind risking getting athletes foot or other foot fungus from another driver. This is like using bowling shoes at the bowling alley without them spraying the shoes first. Sandals and othe loose footwear can cause dangerous situations as they are not securely attached to your feet. Sure they are no problem when everythig is fine but if an emergency situation pops up it can cause danger

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 07:26 AM
:madb2::mady::upsetgray:madb::mado::upsetwgra:madg ray::mad::eekgray::rollb2::rolly2::wtfy::wtfo::rig hty::sighgray::sighb::sad1::flame2::flame2::flame2

WormGod
02/18/2011, 07:39 AM
I'm a gimp anyways, thanks to a drunk driver, and my left leg looks like chopped liver from knee to toe. In that case, I almost never even wear sandals. Heck, very rarely even wear shorts since my left calf looks like a pencil next to my right calf. Plus, it tends to hurt walking bare foot for my left foot with the nerve damage I have. Every step feels like 50 tacks being rammed into my heel.

So, nope, "I" don't drive barefoot. I do wear DC track shoes when I autoX though (and almost every day for the hell of it) and they have very little sole, so maybe it's as close to barefoot as I will ever get in a car. As for how I feel about other drivers driving barefoot.... I have no "major" issue with it until they hit me. I do tend to believe it impairs their pedal operation slightly, especially with a clutch, but that's just my opinion.

JHarris1385
02/18/2011, 07:45 AM
Rainbow sandals is the brand...they conform to your foot with a memory type insole. Something to check out if you are into wearing sandals. They have a great warranty...along the lines of a free replacement if anything goes wrong with them if you have have not worn through the sole yet. Maybe I could see this slipping issue if I was to wear a generic foam flip flop say those from Old Navy come to mind, but with the ones I wear there is no issue at all.

I have even driven with my five fingers as well...those are as close as you can get to barefoot. Five fingers is a brand name not literally my fingers. Another shoe that if you do not know about is worth a look. You can get a great workout in them when hiking...etc.

nocturnalVX
02/18/2011, 07:48 AM
Oh, I get it... :bwgy:

Under no circumstances should anyone ANYWHERE EVER drive without proper footwear! Proper footwear meaning fully covered preferably over-the-ankle in case of twisting shoes or boots with adequate cushioning on the insole of the shoe for comfort, and good tread on the soles to prevent shoes from slipping off pedals. :yesb:

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 07:50 AM
WormGod I am sorry to hear this but you arre my friend. :0)

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 07:51 AM
and you too, noctournalVX :)

surf-life
02/18/2011, 09:17 AM
Rainbow's are God's sandals!!!!

VX KAT
02/18/2011, 09:43 AM
I think we should focus on the important point here is...she's a college age person, and likely, has far less driving experience than most here.

I totally agree with Eb, but even so, I think a younger, less experienced driver should utilize the safest practices when driving. Of course they think they're invincible and better than us mere mortals, but we know differently. Of course she thinks we're totally ancient and don't know what we're talking about.

Eb, take her out to a big parking lot and make her slam on the brakes both barefoot and in sandals, at YOUR voice command. (So she doesn't know when it's coming).

After several yrs of driving, we all are better drivers...just through actual experience. She can make her own decisions at that point.

And Dave & I think Keen's are God's sandals! :thumbup: (plus they're enclosed toes with very sturdy soles).

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 10:32 AM
I think we should focus on the important point here is...she's a college age person, and likely, has far less driving experience than most here.

I totally agree with Eb, but even so, I think a younger, less experienced driver should utilize the safest practices when driving. Of course they think they're invincible and better than us mere mortals, but we know differently. Of course she thinks we're totally ancient and don't know what we're talking about.

Eb, take her out to a big parking lot and make her slam on the brakes both barefoot and in sandals, at YOUR voice command. (So she doesn't know when it's coming).

After several yrs of driving, we all are better drivers...just through actual experience. She can make her own decisions at that point.

And Dave & I think Keen's are God's sandals! :thumbup: (plus they're enclosed toes with very sturdy soles).

I thought about making her slam the brakes a few times as quick as possible and hard as possible...a little late. thought of it this morning. but she is 20 now. I can't paddle her anymore.

MSHardeman
02/18/2011, 10:42 AM
I've always driven with closed toe shoes. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it was actually illeagal to drive barefoot. Of course that may have just been hear-say way back in the day down in Louisiana so don't quote me on that. (whoops, guess it isn't illegal: http://web.archive.org/web/20030618105020/http://www.urbanlegends.com/legal/driving.barefoot/driving_barefoot.html ) I know I feel strange when I do move the car around the driveway barefoot; I just don't feel like I have as much control.

Ebenezer, you might not be able to paddle her anymore, but you sure don't have to give her the keys to your VX either.:biggringr If she's such a big girl tell her to get her own car and that the VX is only for people who drive with their shoes on. My car, my rules....of course NO ONE drives my VX but me.

Osteomata
02/18/2011, 10:44 AM
I dunno Eb, I think you are the product/victim of your own biases and perhaps some mythology told to you during your own driving development. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with driving barefoot. Unless your foot is the tender equivalent of the Princess from the Pea fable, or you have lined your pedals with thorn branches, then I doubt there is the slightest risk. People that have to slam their brakes are doing so instinctively, and I don' t think they run through a "Oh my I should brake but don't wish to hurt my foot" algorhythm, but rather a "ZOMFG I HAVE TO STOP NOW SLAM SLAM SLAM" process.

Further, I suspect that driving barefoot is safer than driving with high heels, though I admit my experience in the latter is limited.

I see you have a sense of humor about it, which is good because I just can't validate your view. I think you should pick more important battles. Does she signal? Does she adjust the mirrors and radio BEFORE she drives? Does she check the blind spot before lane change? Does she talk on the phone while driving? There are hundreds of avenues for you to exercise your mandatory parental nagging quota that will result in actual improved safety, your barefoot issue just isnt one of them.

Triathlete
02/18/2011, 11:51 AM
Nothing wrong with bare foot driving...have you ever looked at the shoes racecar drivers wear? Not much sole between the foot and the pedal.

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 11:52 AM
Osteomata you are giving me an ulcer.................................but aside from that you bring up good points about other important things. You are momentarily ulcerogenic because she is driving my VX right now and she has smashed everyones car but mine so far. She backed into her brothers 02 mustang and squashed the drivers side door in 2 years ago.. Then He let her use his Mustang to drive across town one night and left the emergnecy brake on the entire time. 30 plus miles. He had to replace the brakes. She backed a Land Rover into her mom's 05 z71 suburban and took the rear quarter panel out.... I have driven it into her brain NOT to do rolling stops but she's the queen of them. Dear Lord please be near her now as she drives, set your angels around her, Amen.

Hiredgoon
02/18/2011, 11:53 AM
According to Wikipedia, which we all know is true and unbiased...

"Another common myth is that it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while barefoot. Some people speculate that, because you use your feet while driving, there's more room for error and your feet could slip off of the pedals, resulting in an accident. In fact, in all 50 states and territories in the United States, as well as in Canada, and in the United Kingdom, it is perfectly legal to drive barefoot. However, in some jurisdictions, police officers may ticket you for other things if the fact that you were driving barefoot or in flip flops/high heeled shoes hindered your driving and/or resulted in an accident."

Personally I've never been comfortable driving barefoot, but more than that, the practicality of not having shoes on in case of some sort of an accident or emergency seems foolish to me. My favourite is seeing the rocket scientists riding motorcycles in flip-flops.

I think at the end of the day, it's about having respect for the fact that the machine you are driving in coudn't care less if it kills you, and taking basic precautions when operating anything like that is just logical.

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 11:54 AM
I've always driven with closed toe shoes. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that it was actually illeagal to drive barefoot. Of course that may have just been hear-say way back in the day down in Louisiana so don't quote me on that. (whoops, guess it isn't illegal: http://web.archive.org/web/20030618105020/http://www.urbanlegends.com/legal/driving.barefoot/driving_barefoot.html ) I know I feel strange when I do move the car around the driveway barefoot; I just don't feel like I have as much control.

Ebenezer, you might not be able to paddle her anymore, but you sure don't have to give her the keys to your VX either.:biggringr If she's such a big girl tell her to get her own car and that the VX is only for people who drive with their shoes on. My car, my rules....of course NO ONE drives my VX but me.

True...I will give her my wife's keys.

Osteomata
02/18/2011, 12:12 PM
Eb I just don't think her past driving errors are at all unusual. That is what young drivers do. I took my dad's pick up through a barbed wire fence at 17, backed into my friends I-Mark at 18, backed into a parking garage concrete post at 20, slid into a parked car in an icey lot at 21. That's four fender benders all with stationary objects in my first half decade. Since then, like most drivers, I got better and more careful, having caused one wreck but once in more than a decade since then. I suspect your girl gets a bit safer each year as well.

Kona-Vs
02/18/2011, 12:47 PM
Bare feet is definitely the way to go you can feel the pedal grip it with your toes or give it full foot when you need it I have a hard time driving with shoes

stangri
02/18/2011, 12:48 PM
I lived in a very hot climate for about 3 years and would occasionally drive barefoot. :)

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 01:45 PM
OK this threads done. So how's the weather? What's the price of apples today in Arkansas?

circmand
02/18/2011, 02:10 PM
Osteomata you are giving me an ulcer.................................but aside from that you bring up good points about other important things. You are momentarily ulcerogenic because she is driving my VX right now and she has smashed everyones car but mine so far. She backed into her brothers 02 mustang and squashed the drivers side door in 2 years ago.. Then He let her use his Mustang to drive across town one night and left the emergnecy brake on the entire time. 30 plus miles. He had to replace the brakes. She backed a Land Rover into her mom's 05 z71 suburban and took the rear quarter panel out.... I have driven it into her brain NOT to do rolling stops but she's the queen of them. Dear Lord please be near her now as she drives, set your angels around her, Amen.

You dont need to stop her driving barefoot you need to stop her driving PERIOD. Anyone who is 22 with this record either doesnt know how to drive, doesnt pay attention when the drive or has such a total disregard of other peoples property that she shouldnt drive. Tell her she can go barefoot and walk wherever the heck she wants

Triathlete
02/18/2011, 02:19 PM
I drive in shoes, boots, flip flops (a lot), and occasionally barefoot. In my 30+ years of driving I have 1 accident. Obviously, some people just suck as drivers more than others...no matter what is covering your little tootsies.:yesy::winky:

Osteomata
02/18/2011, 02:42 PM
You dont need to stop her driving barefoot you need to stop her driving PERIOD. Anyone who is 22 with this record either doesnt know how to drive, doesnt pay attention when the drive or has such a total disregard of other peoples property that she shouldnt drive. Tell her she can go barefoot and walk wherever the heck she wants

Utter and complete over-reactive nonsense. She had two bumps against non-moving vehicles during the early period of driving, and a mechanical brain fart.

Riff Raff
02/18/2011, 02:44 PM

x2. Normally, I don't agree with CIRCMAND because he is a different breed of cat and needs serious counseling on a variety of issues. However, he's absolutely correct on this matter.

Eb--- I concur with you that decent sturdy shoes should always be worn to promote driving safety whenever operating any kind of motor vehicle (I hold a current Class-A CDL with all endorsements). My best advice is to hide all of your motor vehicle keys whenever your daughter visits and additionally install "The Club" steering wheel lock on all of your vehicles as a further safety precaution (in case your daughter has already made "wax imprints" of your car keys from previous visits).

Whenever your daughter visits, give her some bus fare money and the lastest edition of the local Bus Schedule Guide so she doesn't get lost. Problem solved.

:bgwb:

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 02:47 PM
Well...She just arrived and the VX appears to be in one piece. Time to go home and knock the cat off my chair.

CoastieCosta567
02/18/2011, 02:51 PM
barefoot the best.

Tookie
02/18/2011, 03:21 PM
Hahaha, honestly, I had the hardest time driving with shoes ON.

But then again, I come from Hawaii, and grew up on Kauai, where I would never wear shoes at all, and even when I moved to California for a year I didn't wear shoes even during the winter. Got sick from that, but that didn't stop me. Up until it was required I went barefoot all the time, and then slippers after that.

To me it was always I could feel the pedals way better barefoot, and in the beginning when I drove with shoes I was always scared of pushing both pedals are once.

However, it sounds like your daughter doesn't have tough feet, kinda like what Ose was talking about. If your daughter is worried about hurting her feet, then heck yeah don't let her drive barefoot, but otherwise, barefoot it up ;)

Might be a Hawaii thing as Kona-Vs has said the same thing.

nfpgasmask
02/18/2011, 04:04 PM
You mean you let someone else drive your VX?????

Bart

Ebenezr
02/18/2011, 04:13 PM
You mean you let someone else drive your VX?????

Bart

Ha ha ha. I sold her Land Rover when she went to college in order to buy the VX. ha ha ha ha.:bgwo::grino::)