PDA

View Full Version : Upholstry Repair/Replacement

rsteinmetz70112
02/19/2011, 06:14 PM
Looking at a lot of well used VX's one of the most common deficiencies is the upholstery, particularly the drivers seat.

Replacements are not readily available.

What is the the shared experience reupholstering or replacing the original leather?

VX KAT
02/19/2011, 07:06 PM
Looking at a lot of well used VX's one of the most common deficiencies is the upholstery, particularly the drivers seat.

Replacements are not readily available.

What is the the shared experience reupholstering or replacing the original leather?

Last year "Wintermute" got a quote for redoing the leather, and then actually went with a leather re-conditioning type service. They re-dyed each color separately, and did a repair on a split in the upper part. I saw pics, they came out amazing. I believe he told me it was around $700, was so much because it was the two colors. Pricey, but it was amazing. He could probably send you pics.
Shoot him a PM or an email, for info if you want.

MSHardeman
02/21/2011, 08:57 AM
We share our seats with a couple of other cars. The first one that comes to mind is the Saturn Vue Redline (I think). It's the souped up version of the Saturn SUV. There are a couple of others, and there is a thread on them somewhere, but I can't seem to find either right now.
Oh, wait, here you go: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15649&highlight=recaro+seat

Some people have gone with Wet Okole seat covers. http://www.wetokole.com/VEHICROSS.html They are neoprene seat covers that have the option of having the same colors as our stock seats, and they look pretty good from what I've seen. Obviously the leather beneath just gets hidden and not repaired, and the Okole's don't allow our thigh pads to slide out, but it's an option.

vt_maverick
02/21/2011, 09:05 AM
Unless you can find an Aston Martin Vanquish in a yard somewhere nearby, I think I'd either opt for recovering or for the Wet Okole covers. Depending on the severity of the cover damage, either option may end up running you about the same. However, both should be well below the $1300-$1500 asking price for the Recaro's listed inside the first thread.

tjh
02/21/2011, 04:14 PM
I sent Recaro an Email inquiring about the purchase of some leather from them .

Here is the response:> When RECARO makes seats for car manufacturers we are usually given the
> cover material by the car manufacturers source and it usually is different
> from our standard in house materials. You might have better luck trying to
> get service covers from Isuzu since the vehicle was not built in North
> America and we did not supply the seats out of the North American plant.

tjh
02/23/2011, 05:39 PM
Isuzuparts.com
Black & gray Left
List Price : $973.91
Your Price : $779.13

Pricing for the leather on the lower cushion.

etlsport
03/29/2011, 01:24 PM
these should fit our VX seats...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Recaro-Trend-Leather-Seat-Covers-98-99-00-01-02-Saleen-/380281616182?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588a8cf736#ht_2266wt_1167

** i dont know 100% they will fit, but our seats are recaro trend, and the pattern looks right**

rsteinmetz70112
03/29/2011, 02:02 PM
I went to their website to see if they listed VX. They didn't, but they listed a number of other Isuzu models. Not surprising I guess.

etlsport
03/31/2011, 07:35 AM
For optimum performance from your upholstered furniture, vacuum and rotate cushions frequently. Avoid placing in direct sunlight. Clean up spills as they occur. Ask your sales associate for the cleanability code of your fabric.

are you kidding me?

tom4bren
03/31/2011, 08:12 AM
are you kidding me?

ROFL

I wipe down my seats with leather cleaner/protector once a year ... whether they need it or not.

VXjunky
03/31/2011, 08:15 AM
i brush my tooth once a year...weather it needs it or not

Scott Larson
03/31/2011, 04:24 PM
I ask my sales associate for cleanability codes...

RickOKC
03/31/2011, 05:47 PM
i brush my tooth once a year...weather it needs it or not
Coworkers keep leaving deodorant on my desk even though I never use it. People are weird.

wekilled
03/31/2011, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwindaniel View Post
For optimum performance from your upholstered furniture, vacuum and rotate cushions frequently. Avoid placing in direct sunlight. Clean up spills as they occur. Ask your sales associate for the cleanability code of your fabric.

I checked with my sales associate and the codes they supplied were in SAE, not metric based on timezone conflicts, and I need to convert back to magnetic north azimuth. Does anyone have a code translator chart to verify atomic weights of cleaners based on current UV exposure rates in this hemisphere?

VX KAT
03/31/2011, 09:28 PM
I checked with my sales associate and the codes they supplied were in SAE, not metric based on timezone conflicts, and I need to convert back to magnetic north azimuth. Does anyone have a code translator chart to verify atomic weights of cleaners based on current UV exposure rates in this hemisphere?

Are darn, sorry Doug, I just loaned mine out to PK in OZ
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif

Triathlete
03/31/2011, 09:39 PM
I ask my sales associate for cleanability codes...

Make sure to have them check your neumatic fluid while you are there...most people wait til its to late and the result are catostraphic!:yeso:

tom4bren
04/01/2011, 04:56 AM

You can convert on your own without the charts

PV=mRT

etlsport
04/01/2011, 05:24 AM
You can convert on your own without the charts

PV=mRT

mRT? I thought it was nRT

tom4bren
04/01/2011, 07:47 AM
mRT? I thought it was nRT

Well, thermodynamics was 28 years ago for me but IIRC:

P=Pressure
V=Volume
m=molecular weight
R=Raleigh's constant
T=Temperature

Don't make me go & look it up. I only remember that much to remind me that when my Birthday baloons start to sink, it's time to turn up the heat.

:ot:

What does any of this have to do with taking care of your leather Recarro's?

Not a dang thing ... this is just what we do!

etlsport
04/01/2011, 07:59 AM
Well, thermodynamics was 28 years ago for me but IIRC:

P=Pressure
V=Volume
m=molecular weight
R=Raleigh's constant
T=Temperature

Don't make me go & look it up. I only remember that much to remind me that when my Birthday baloons start to sink, it's time to turn up the heat.

:ot:

What does any of this have to do with taking care of your leather Recarro's?

Not a dang thing ... this is just what we do!

yep, we always just used "n" to represent weight in moles... dunno why

rsteinmetz70112
04/01/2011, 08:01 AM
How do you catch enough moles to weigh them and come up with an accurate average?

tom4bren
04/01/2011, 08:10 AM
How do you catch enough moles to weigh them and come up with an accurate average?

SWAG

wekilled
04/01/2011, 12:32 PM
Lots of different VX owners, but I guess there is one thing we all have in common.....smartas* geek humor.