PDA

View Full Version : I HATE touch screen phones!

Bob Barker
02/27/2011, 06:32 AM
So I finally went and bought myself a new toy from Sprint. The HTC EVO 4g. It was really fun for the first 12 hours until I dropped it only once and now the screen looks like spiderman had sex on it!

Can these screens be repaired or am I going to have to buy a new phone, again?

Y33TREKker
02/27/2011, 07:44 AM
I would ask if you purchased the optional insurance available on most cell phone contracts, but the way insurance companies seem to work nowadays, they'd probably look for any reason possible not to warrant a claim. Still work asking regardless though.

You might check some sites like these for a replacement screen.

http://www.cellulardr.com/cell-phone-lcd-screen.html

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/cell-phone-parts.html

Luna X
02/27/2011, 07:48 AM
I hope you have insurance on that phone.... otherwise, I believe you will be s.o.l.

All these new phones are frustrating. I bought a new Droid2 for Xmas for wifey and 2 weeks later I sent it back. It was never dropped, but it still had issues with the screen and receiving calls. Went back to the good'ol trusty Env3

Gussie2000
02/27/2011, 09:25 AM
So I finally went and bought myself a new toy from Sprint. The HTC EVO 4g. It was really fun for the first 12 hours until I dropped it only once and now the screen looks like spiderman had sex on it!

I have the T-mobile HD2 which is very similar to the EVO 4G.
This is my 3rd phone,i have insurance.The deductible is high though. About $ 163.00.

If you are interested my insurance is by asurion,so far so good with their service.
The two claims were very smooth and fast,had my brand-new phone the very next day.

Those screens are replaceable,but you wouldn't have much of an chance finding a reliable,worthy technician guy to replace it.

If you didn't insure it i fear new-full-price phone is your only option.

You must avoid by every mean to drop it,they are an very delicate,masterpiece.

MeowMix
02/27/2011, 10:49 AM

To reiterate what everyone else has said already: insurance would be your best option if you aren't particularly skilled at dismantling small electronic devices. If you don't have insurance you could call in and add it without telling anyone the phone is already broken, assuming it still makes and takes calls...then use it for the intro period so they can see a call history on the device (not sure on Sprint, but it's usually about a week or so last I checked), then make a claim when able to. The insurance deductible cost is better than buying a new $500 phone outright...though often times you do get remanufactured phones via insurance claims. Remember to get a rubber or hard plastic case to protect your next one...totally worth the $15 or so. :yesy:

Call around also and get repair quotes, there are many locally owned cell places who will repair such things. We have Spokane Wireless here in my city. Personally I buy new parts online for cheap and fix things myself...I've done so with tons of phones, iPods, etc. If you should so choose to brave the endeavor of repair then I recommend eBay; it's where I myself have had the best luck finding cheap parts. I just looked and its about $50-80 for a new LCD and touch digitizer for your phone on eBay -- there are a ton of auctions, just make sure it's OEM and not from a seller in Hong Kong and you're golden, lol ;Dy;

Oh and often times you can find tutorials on how to take apart phones, iPods, etc. on YouTube. Again, I checked and there are a ton of them for the EVO. There are options for you for sure -- no matter what you choose to do, good luck Bob!

-MeowMix

wekilled
02/27/2011, 12:10 PM
I concur. If you are in the window still, call in and decide you really want to add insurance for your phone, then wait for it..Call in a week.

Other method is every city seems to have a back alley guy now that can fix iPods and phones. Call around and look online or on bulletin boards.

Bob Barker
02/27/2011, 03:11 PM
If you don't have insurance you could call in and add it without telling anyone the phone is already broken, assuming it still makes and takes calls...then use it for the intro period so they can see a call history on the device (not sure on Sprint, but it's usually about a week or so last I checked), then make a claim when able to.

I did this:bwgy:

Thanks for all the input too! I'll have a nice case for it next time for sure! and the deductable will be $100... kinda a pricey deductable, but it will be cheaper than a new phone even with all the instant savings and mail in rebate stuff.

circmand
02/27/2011, 04:15 PM
covers the cost of the new phone to the insurance company actual cost

vt_maverick
02/27/2011, 05:34 PM
We have Verizon and have had insurance on our phones for a few years now. Asurion provides the insurance for Verizon (and most other carriers too I think) and are pretty easy to work with. We've had to replace at least six in the past couple years due to loss, cracked screens, defective touch sensors, etc. Only downside is that the insurance companies send you a refurbished version of the phone you sent them, which we've found is decidedly different than a brand new version of your existing phone. Easily half of those replacements were us sending back the refurb models after they failed 30-60 days into ownership.

I've given up on sexy fragile smart phones for now. We're admittedly hard on our phones, and even when we're careful, our two year old is not. I now carry a work phone (which they replace if something goes wrong ;)) and our other phone is a "ruggedized" model capable of withstanding drops, dust, immersion in water, saliva, cough syrup, and food spills. Absolutely love it. :)

Bob Barker
02/27/2011, 06:56 PM
This being my first touch screen phone, or smart phone or whatever, I got it to play games in boring situations. Like ordering food and waiting for it at a restaurant, sitting at work all night with nothing going on around me, or other, more private "idle" times (think #2)... :D

It was really fun before I busted it! Now I gotta wait a couple days for a new one. Since they don't ship on Sundays.

MeowMix
02/27/2011, 08:21 PM
This being my first touch screen phone, or smart phone or whatever, I got it to play games in boring situations. Like ordering food and waiting for it at a restaurant, sitting at work all night with nothing going on around me, or other, more private "idle" times (think #2)... :D

It was really fun before I busted it! Now I gotta wait a couple days for a new one. Since they don't ship on Sundays.

Oh no...don't tell me you're hooked on that silly Storm8 Restaurant Story game too? It's terribly addictive. Glad to hear things worked out okay Bob! ;Dy;

-MeowMix

Grif
02/27/2011, 09:32 PM
So you hate touchscreen phones because you can break it?

Yes you loved it before you broke it?

Seems to me you hate that you broke your new Android device rather than your device itself.

Yes screens are easily replaceable by any decent tech, however the insurance/cell provider route will be cheaper. They will simply swap out your device for a refurbished unit and transfer your contacts and apps over, no prob.

If you are lucky they wont have any refirb units in stock and if you press the issue they might let go of a new one for you. Make sure you ask.

Bob Barker
02/28/2011, 06:32 PM
So you hate touchscreen phones because you can break it?

Yes you loved it before you broke it?

Seems to me you hate that you broke your new Android device rather than your device itself.

I hate it because it broke so easily! Just one teensy little drop onto a hard floor... Oh well, I did love it before I found out I have to be carefull with it, and I'm sure I'll learn to love it again once I get the new one in!

Odd thing, the insurer asked me for further proof of ownership/who I say I am, so now the claim will be taking a little longer than hoped.

VX KAT
03/01/2011, 08:04 AM
Honestly, I didn't know about the frequent problems/breakage of the screens. Glad this thread came up. They're really cool, but we don't have the need or desire for a smart phone, as outdated as that sounds....:goof: We got the iPad for that. And since I drop everything, it's good to know how fragile they are...need to keep me away from them....they'd probably ban me/drop me from the insurance after a few months and a couple of claims.:laugho:

Dave went with the G'zOne by casio....just a good ole' flip phone, but way tougher...it's mil spec in most areas. Screen has really big numbers...some here will know why that's handy......:rollo:
http://www.casiotoughphones.com/gzone_rock.html

I won't give up my Motorola purple W755....:rollo:...plus the keys are spaced just right and I can feel them a little, so I get enough tactile feedback to know when I push one.:thumbup:

vt_maverick
03/01/2011, 08:21 AM
Dave went with the G'zOne by casio....just a good ole' flip phone, but way tougher...it's mil spec in most areas. Screen has really big numbers...some here will know why that's handy......:rollo:
http://www.casiotoughphones.com/gzone_rock.html

That's exactly the same phone that I have! Or at least the one I used to have before Sonya started using it as her phone (work provides me with unlimited usage BB). We're considering upgrading it to a Casio G'zOne Brigade (flip out full keyboard, better for texting) in April.

https://scache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/med/casio_gzone_brigade.png

VX KAT
03/01/2011, 08:28 AM
That's exactly the same phone that I have! Or at least the one I used to have before Sonya started using it as her phone (work provides me with unlimited usage BB). We're considering upgrading it to a Casio G'zOne Brigade (flip out full keyboard, better for texting) in April.

https://scache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/med/casio_gzone_brigade.png

I really like it. I like the automatic flip open....kind of like a switchblade phone. And I like the LED light....now that's a smart phone!
If somebody hear can professionally paint it purple for me I'd definitely get one.....anybody?....anybody?? Krylon Fusion would work for plastic....

Exclamation
03/01/2011, 11:15 AM
I have an iPhone 4 which I got back in november and I absolutely LOVE it. I had an iPhone 3G since they were first released and had it for 2 years, dropped it about 5 times, 3 of which were on concrete and it never broke. One of my friends dropped his iphone in the toilet (don't know how he did that) but anyways he went to an apple store told them what happened and they replaced it with a new one for free even when he hadn't bought an extra insurance plan of any kind. I Highly recommend the iphone or any apple product for that matter.

vt_maverick
03/01/2011, 12:15 PM
One of my friends dropped his iphone in the toilet (don't know how he did that) but anyways he went to an apple store told them what happened and they replaced it with a new one for free even when he hadn't bought an extra insurance plan of any kind.

Is your friend easy on the eyes? This is Apple's explicitly stated policy on water damage:

If an iPhone or iPod has been damaged by liquid (for example, coffee or a soft drink), the service for such liquid damage is not covered by the Apple one (1) year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). iPhone models and iPod models that were built after 2006 have built-in Liquid Contact Indicators that will show (as described below) whether the device has been in contact with water or a liquid containing water.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

I've known several iPhone owners who found Apple customer support to be merciless in their policies towards replacements. Maybe your friend got lucky?

VX KAT
03/01/2011, 04:58 PM
I've known several iPhone owners who found Apple customer support to be merciless in their policies towards replacements. Maybe your friend got lucky?

Wow, Maybe with the iPhone it's different because of frequency of claims or the type of damage/issue....Dave & I have had fantastic cust serv from Apple. They replaced my graphic card which is attached to the mother board, about 6 months after my 3 yr Apple Care coverage had expired. It failed within 2 months so they replaced the mother board/graphic card again. Both replacements were refurb'ed, but I was still happy to save the $700 bucks. When we bought our iPad last year in an AppleStore, salespeople NEVER mentioned it required Snow Leopard OS. We drive home 100 miles.....
Try to connect the iPad-> we learn we need Snow Leopard.
Called the STORE manager, said he'd send out a complimentary family pack Snow Leopard OS (~$269) so we could upgrade from Tiger and use our new iPad. And sent it overnight shipping.... Unbelievable.....:thumbup:

Gussie2000
03/01/2011, 05:55 PM
Is your friend easy on the eyes? This is Apple's explicitly stated policy on water damage:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

That sales man must have some dark secret that your friend knows about and been blackmailing him :p

vt_maverick
03/01/2011, 05:59 PM
Wow, Maybe with the iPhone it's different because of frequency of claims or the type of damage/issue....

I think that's likely. I've heard the same complaints for both the iPhone and iPods but have never heard anything bad about their computer service (we actually have a Mac Mini). And obviously Apple sells more iPods in a week than they probably do computers in an entire year, hence (perhaps) a more stingy policy.

Mile High VX
03/01/2011, 06:02 PM
My son used the MAC warranty on his computer about 15 days before it expired. Got a new computer with no hassles...I'm sold on their support!

VCrossfan
03/01/2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2010/09/23/sample%20image.jpeg

vt_maverick
03/01/2011, 07:48 PM
In case you were wondering I'll save you the time:

http://www.coolhunting.com/tech/woogie.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ch+%28Cool+Hunting%29

Bob Barker
03/01/2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2010/09/23/sample%20image.jpeg

AWESOME!!! I wonder if I can get one in Pirate layout? :bwgy:

pbkid
03/01/2011, 08:33 PM
Iphone = ;puke2;

droid = :heart:

DutchKiwi
03/01/2011, 10:38 PM
Wow, y'all going crazy on the ol' CDMA networks. I'm on my 18th Nokia, second touchphone on the Vodafone 3G network. It's the N8 - the keyboardless touch-only super-dooper-zapper-me-thingamajig. As an engineer I can be pretty rough on some of my gear particular with greasy mittens, operating a Lathe and answering the darn phone at the same time..... BUT.... IT Does almost all I need in a phone, Camera, Tom-Tom and laptop all in one. Contacts, 12 megapics Camera, HD Video recording and playback, hold my customer list, all my product images and a full pricelist, and an extensive Part Assembly Database.

And all that in a small pouch on my belt.... hard to beat....

Say a prayer for them poor buggers in Christchurch!

Bob Barker
03/01/2011, 10:51 PM
Waiting for my claim to process....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/pissedoffcactus.jpg

Exclamation
03/01/2011, 11:44 PM
Iphone = ;puke2;

iPhone =:heart:

droid = ;puke2; x2 :winkb:
:yesb::yesb::yesb::yesb:

Gussie2000
03/02/2011, 12:01 AM
Iphone = ;puke2;

X3

My cellphone is an HD2 with windows preinstalled.......was :p

Now nothing else but Mr android in there :yeso:

Bob Barker
03/04/2011, 05:04 PM
So there was a glitch, a big glitch, with my insurance claim... the insurance apparently did not start until the day after I filed the claim.. I'm not happy about it.

I will not be looking on Ebay for a replacement screen and hope I can get it installed correctly. So any help with finding the correct part/parts would be much appreciated!

and install tips as well!

MeowMix
03/04/2011, 06:02 PM
So there was a glitch, a big glitch, with my insurance claim... the insurance apparently did not start until the day after I filed the claim.. I'm not happy about it.

I will not be looking on Ebay for a replacement screen and hope I can get it installed correctly. So any help with finding the correct part/parts would be much appreciated!

and install tips as well!

Boo. There's no way around that one either...sorry Bob :sady:

How come no eBay? And check out YouTube for info on installation...their disassembly tutorials are fantastic! :yesy:

-MeowMix

...oh, and go team DROID!!!

VX KAT
03/04/2011, 07:13 PM
B
How come no eBay? :yesy:

-MeowMix

Read that a couple of times myself, and I "think" he didn't mean to put the word "not" there......I think he meant to type "now".

MeowMix
03/04/2011, 08:01 PM
Read that a couple of times myself, and I "think" he didn't mean to put the word "not" there......I think he meant to type "now".

Oh, lol...indeed that makes more sense.

-MeowMix

Bob Barker
03/04/2011, 08:54 PM
Kat got it right, it was supposed to be now. I'll probably be asking plenty of questions on which I should get and who is a safe seller and what not.

Bob Barker
03/08/2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-HTC-A9292-Supersonic-Sprint/dp/B003Z9UYR2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299655337&sr=8-4

Is that a good place to buy from? I know it's on Amazon, but I don't want a cheap-o that's going to break in a day or month... I thought I remembered seeing these replacement parts on Ebay for about $150.

Bob Barker
03/08/2011, 11:23 PM
Or this one, that is closer and cheaper. Seems too good to be true cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HTC-Evo-4G-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Repair-OEM-/170613230722?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item27b9574c82

tom4bren
03/09/2011, 06:26 AM
"I HATE touch screen phones!"

Me too!!!

My 'knuckle dragger' sized fingers just can't ever seem to hit the right keys.

MeowMix
03/09/2011, 09:31 PM
OEM is the key word Bob...so long as it's original equipment, you know it's quality, as it's the exact same as what is originally on the phone from the factory. :happyface

-MeowMix

LittleBeast
03/09/2011, 09:53 PM
iPhone 4 with an Otter Box, virtually indestructible. I am VERY hard on phones and this has been the best most reliable most useful solution EVER!!!!! I am never going back to any other phone, they really are worth the cost and the Otter Box is amazing, best case ever!

Bob Barker
03/09/2011, 11:08 PM
They make an Otterbox for my phone too. I may try one out. Why is the one that I feel I would want, the impact series case, so much cheaper than the other two? It sounds like the better one!

vt_maverick
03/10/2011, 06:59 AM
OEM is the key word Bob...so long as it's original equipment, you know it's quality, as it's the exact same as what is originally on the phone from the factory. :happyface

-MeowMix

Like our OEM CD changer? ;) Let's hope phones are different. :p

Bob Barker
03/10/2011, 02:09 PM
Annnnnd DONE!

So I overnighted a new screen, and about 20 - 30 minutes after I started the screen was in and it's working perfectly so far! I found a video on youtube on how to do it, made life much simpler!

and yes, I now LOVE my touch screen phone!

Gizmo42
03/13/2011, 12:50 PM
Trident also makes a ruggedized case for your phone. The Kraken!

http://www.tridenteer.com/categories/HTC-EVO-4G/

I got one for my new Droid X and love it. Makes the phone bigger but I think I can drop it off a roof without hurting anything. I checked the reviews of it vs the otter box and the kraken seemed to rate better. All the speaker holes are covered with cloth so they keep dust out better. Plus you can get it in different colors.

This droid is the first phone I've had insurance on. In my line of work (HVAC) I can be tough on phones and that exposed screen is very vulnerable. Will see how long it takes to destroy it. Found out last year in Moab that an iphone will sort of survive being run over by an amigo on 37's lol. Dont remember who's it was but Corbin ran over it. Screen was broken but still worked.

LittleBeast
03/13/2011, 05:58 PM
This droid is the first phone I've had insurance on. In my line of work (HVAC) I can be tough on phones and that exposed screen is very vulnerable. Will see how long it takes to destroy it. Found out last year in Moab that an iphone will sort of survive being run over by an amigo on 37's lol. Dont remember who's it was but Corbin ran over it. Screen was broken but still worked.
I think the new iPhone 4's can take the car run ing over it with the screen still working. Also the otterbox does not leave you with an exposed screen. It has a built in screen protector and a raised lip around the screen to prevent damage even further, plus I know the family who makes these up in Colorado and they are VERY good people who I don't mind supporting :-)

Bob Barker
03/14/2011, 03:29 AM
Fight Fight! Between the Otterbox and the Kraken!

dingdingding!

Gizmo42
03/14/2011, 09:14 PM
LOL

I have no problems with the Otterbox. I just like the looks of the kraken better and like the fact that dust cant get in through the speaker and camera holes (great for moab).

The kraken also has a screen protector and the ribs around the screen. But its still a large surface that can be poked very hard with things in my line of work. I have to squeeze into small areas, crawl around in ceilings and in crawl spaces.

Gussie2000
03/15/2011, 10:03 AM
Annnnnd DONE!

So I overnighted a new screen, and about 20 - 30 minutes after I started the screen was in and it's working perfectly so far! I found a video on youtube on how to do it, made life much simpler!

and yes, I now LOVE my touch screen phone!

LOL i know you will ended up seduced by the touch screens phone.
Now love it all and enjoy it :bwgy:

Gussie2000
03/15/2011, 10:05 AM
"I HATE touch screen phones!"

Me too!!!

My 'knuckle dragger' sized fingers just can't ever seem to hit the right keys.

Dude your fingers may need some lipo work on them.

You are missing a whole lot of fun :p

LittleBeast
03/15/2011, 10:14 AM
Fight Fight! Between the Otterbox and the Kraken!

dingdingding!

Haha :-) there are Pluses and minuses to both. I really like the fact that the otterbox is rubbery enough to not slide off of anything yet not so "sticky" that it will not go in your pocket.....

Bob Barker
03/30/2011, 09:28 PM
Ummm.... I dind't blame HTC for anything... way to over analyze it, doucebag.

tom4bren
03/31/2011, 06:36 AM
Dude your fingers may need some lipo work on them.

You are missing a whole lot of fun :p

BWAAHAAHAA!!!

I gots a touch screen ... just no likey.