PDA

View Full Version : Possible "New" front tube bumper

MSHardeman
02/28/2011, 02:15 PM
I am talking to a local 4x4 fab shop right now about having them bend up a new tube bumper (bumper reinforcement) for me and I wanted to know if anyone else would be interested in getting one made. I sent them some pictures of the reinforcement to see if they would be interested in doing it, and I haven't heard back from them yet. If/when they do call back and are on the fence about it, it would be nice to sweeten the deal by asking if they can do a few at once.

Again, this is all just preliminary so I don't know a price (hopefully less that OEM), what type of steel they would use, if they would weld end caps on, and if they would just fab up their own mounts, or use the stock Isuzu mounts after getting rid of the rusted out junk that is there now. I have no idea what shipping would cost and if these things would be painted/ powder coated or just come raw.

Any interest?:_confused

MSHardeman
03/12/2011, 09:31 AM
Went to a local 4x4 shop yesterday that builds tube frame buggies, as well as customizes other trucks (had a jacked up Samurai in there) to talk about bending up a new front bumper support for Vicki (my VX). They said that they could bend up a new bumper support, end cap it, weld it to the bumper supports, paint it and install it for $200-$250. Since a new stock Isuzu bumper support is +/-$300-$350, and it would still me made out of the same junk metal, that seems like a good deal to me.

I asked it they would be interested in bending up a few more if some members here wanted them and they said it wouldn't be a problem. If they just bend the tube up it would be +/-$100-$150 and I/they could ship it out to members here and they could weld it to their bumper brackets themselves, or for a little more they could fab up new bumper brackets and all you would have to do would be to bolt it up.

They are currently getting a few rigs ready for Easter Jeep Safari so they won't be able to get to the bumper until they are back from that. If anyone is interested let me know and I can get some harder prices from them. If anyone heading to Moab is interested I can bring them out with me and save on some shipping.

nocturnalVX
03/12/2011, 05:23 PM
Both of mine rusted away, so I'd love to put new ones on in Moab. Count me in & keep me posted. Thanks.

JAMAS
03/13/2011, 08:21 AM
If they just bend the tube up it would be +/-$100-$150 and I/they could ship it out to members here...

.... or for a little more they could fab up new bumper brackets and all you would have to do would be to bolt it up.

I would definitely be interested.

blacksambo
03/15/2011, 09:09 PM
I have some level of interest for futures.

Otto
03/16/2011, 02:06 PM
Count me in too.

BeeVenom
03/17/2011, 05:08 PM
I replaced mine (BAH!) since it was lookin' really cruddy/rusty at the ends and I wound up buying the OEM tube. Expensive :mady: and not worth it, i know.....BUT I did get a rattle can of silicone/grease and sprayed lots of stuff through the little 'drain holes' on the ends. I think they really rust from the inside-out cuz of their stupid design. Tried to shoot the grease through the entire tube length so i got the inside pretty well coated....I hope. Time will tell!!!

MSHardeman
03/17/2011, 05:12 PM
Bee, your experience is exactly why I tried to find someone to bend a custom one up for me. I figured if I spent the $350 that Isuzu wanted for a stock bumper support that it would eventually just rust out again. At +/-$250 for a custom, end capped and painted bumper support that shouldn't rust out it sounded like a deal to me.