PDA

View Full Version : Indulge me in a non VX mechanic's question re fule pump and oxygen sensors

Osteomata
03/02/2011, 07:33 AM
1996 Suzuki X90 with two problems:
1) Fuel pump is shaky. Mechanic says its working but troubled and may be cuasing me the hesitation I have in the morning, along with less fuel efficiency than I sholuld be getting. My confusion lies in the rather wide price range I get when I google for a replacement:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1996%20suzuki%20x90%20fuel%20pump&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf

Anywhere from $43 from Rock Auto parts, up to $169. I am sure that there is some correlation with brand, with the available choices being in order from cheapest to most expensive:

Rock Auto's PEFP ($43)
OE ($85)
Denso ($85)
Bosch ($95)
Delphi ($151)
AirTex ($157)
Spectra ($163)
Carter ($169)

Some of these appear to come with just the pump, others have fittings and whatnot. So the quston: Which do you recommend?

2) I have a Service Engine Light on which resolves to a bad O2 sensor: bank 1, #1. I run into the same wide range when I google shop it, with the added confusion about not knowing which wire option I am supposed to get. Prices range from $30 to $166:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&q=1996+suzuki+x90+oxygen+sensor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Discount Body Parts 3 wire ($30)
JC Whitney SNG ($49)
Rock Auto Bosch 4 wire ($65)
Denso ($85)
and it goes up from there.

So same question, which one do I get?

atilla_the_fun
03/02/2011, 08:01 AM
Are the three wire and four wire distinctly different O2 sensors?

VX KAT
03/02/2011, 08:59 AM
Are ya sure ya still wanna sell your VX?

Osteomata
03/02/2011, 10:43 AM
Kat if it were financially and logistically reasonable for me to keep both, I surely would. But to read into your tongue in cheek implication, I knew about these problems from the beginning, and they are the last of my X90 issues, having knocked out the fuel leak, A/C, and electrical quirks already. I have no regrets about this little vehicle.

Bob Barker
03/04/2011, 01:45 AM
I would get the cheapest fuel pump that also includes fittings. Replace all parts possible the first time. You'd hate to do it over because a leaky gasket or old fitting failed, right?

and for the O2 sensor, the different wire counts will matter. Look at yours and see how many wires you have, and get that one. If it's a choice then get the cheaper one. They can only do one job.

I would suggest removing the O2 sensor in question first and cleaning it with some carb cleaner. Worked on my car and my wife's as well.

Osteomata
03/04/2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks Bob, I will see how much shade tree mechanic stuff I can do this week. Or in my case, underground condo parking shade.

Bob Barker
03/04/2011, 04:29 PM
If it's hard to get to the O2 sensor, they make an O2 sensor wrench that will help prevent from rounding off the nut.

etlsport
03/12/2011, 05:29 AM
ALso, heat the exhaust pipe before trying to remove the o2 sensor.. I've seen a few break when you try to take them out cold