PDA

View Full Version : Driving without front axle shafts...

SilverBullet75
03/11/2011, 08:49 AM
Hi,
So, I've now heard of two VX'ers who have removed their front axles as band-aid fixes to problems they are having, and have been driving without them for some time now.
I lifted about 4k miles ago, and the CV boots are now ripped... surprise, surprise. :)
I'm considering pulling the axles for a while as an experiment on gas mileage, etc.

Questions:

What are the negatives/risks/issues?
What are the positives?

Thanks!
---JIM---

Ascinder
03/11/2011, 08:54 AM
As long as you seal up the holes the actual CV's plug into, there arent really any issues. I would use those expandable rubber plugs that you crank down with a bolt. I'd say maybe install a TOD kill switch, but I ran mine with no front axles for quite awhile with no ill issues.

LittleBeast
03/11/2011, 09:14 AM
I have been running with the front CV's out for over a year now, and I would say that the increase in gas mileage is very small and not worth the time especially if your CV's are funtioning perfectly well right now. I have been getting a little more noise from the front Diff though as it is just spinning from the drve shaft. If anything I think I would rather take out the front driveshaft as opposed to removing both CV's I just did it because both my CV grenaded.

tom4bren
03/11/2011, 10:15 AM
I've been running without the driver side half shaft for a couple of months now. The passenger side is still installed. I don't notice any problem other than not having 4WD. There doesn't seem to be any increase in mpg. That annoying pop I usta get in sharp turns is gone (prolly why the CV exploded).

SilverBullet75
03/11/2011, 02:17 PM
...If anything I think I would rather take out the front driveshaft as opposed to removing both CV's ...

This is removed by pulling the allen bolts and removing the shaft right?

If so, I may do this as well.

Ebenezr
03/14/2011, 08:29 PM
Just remove your hub "plates" - the disc on the hub with 5 or 6 allen bolts. This is the simplest way to free wheel the front end and remove driveline bind. If you have the bucks put some manual locking hubs in their place.

BBVX
03/15/2011, 07:27 AM
years ago my front diff blew while wheeling, so we pulled front driveshaft (not the easiest thing to do on the ground with flashlights) and the two drive plates at the hubs. this basically isolated the front pumpkin (so it wouldn't spin), and I drove it in rear wheel only. I don't think there's any problem with driving like this, other than no 4 wheel drive.

BBVX
03/15/2011, 07:29 AM
Sorry Bullet,

i don't know if any of that info addresses your question. :)