PDA

View Full Version : My weekend

Bob Barker
05/03/2011, 12:43 AM
So me and workout buddy had a trail run in Alafia River state park this past Sunday and decided to turn it into a weekend event. We got to the park Saturday around midday with the mountain bikes and camping gear. Got everything set up and went off to the trails. The race was going to include some of the mtb trails and there may have been a bit of scouting the course going on... :bgwb:

campsite
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/IMAG0039.jpg

I forgot to get pics, but crashed twice and got a couple nice new scars to tell stories about! The mtb trails there are pretty dang scarry to an amateur like me. Made it over all but 2 down hill sections where I couldn't see the bottom half of the hill! One of those I walked my bike down and it bit me on the left calf with the front big ring gear! Guess it was trying to tell me something...

Race day was nice! I've only done 5k's before, only a little over 3 miles) and this would be my first 5mile race. There was an option for a 10mile course but I wanted to be at least competitive! 10 miles would have included some near walking speed trotting for me.

Finally got the official results. I'm pretty happy with them. Finished 12th out of 181 contestants on the 5 mile race and 11th out of 81 men. I was being passed on a long stretch of power lines by someone with a pace I felt like I could keep. So I did. Followed him the last ~2 miles. At the end of the course was a killer section of switch backs that covered at least 3/4 miles. He began to put a bit of a gap on me there! Those hurt!

Finish line photo courtesy of my wife!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/IMAG0045.jpg

I just felt compelled by Triathlete's thread to post my own. I'm no where near as fast has him, but getting there! Maybe a Moab trail run could happen in a few years... :smilegray

The best part of all this is that I kicked workout buddies BUTT! Beat him by over 2min! All of last summers races he won, so far this year I've been the one getting faster, beat him at the last trail run as well, but not by this much. :yeso:

tom4bren
05/03/2011, 03:34 AM
Dang ... & all I did this past weekend was dig a septic tank for pet waste (we have 3 large pooping machines).

All Y'all exercise fanatics put me to shame.

Grats on the performance.

Bob Barker
05/03/2011, 04:37 AM
Screw all that diggin giant holes in the ground stuff! I'd rather run!

tom4bren
05/03/2011, 05:06 AM
Since when has runnin been on the honey-do list?????????????????????????????????????????

samneil2000
05/03/2011, 06:16 AM
Congrats!

Triathlete
05/03/2011, 06:35 AM
Nice race. Congrats!:thumbup: I love trail running (trails around here are a bit differant...less green stuff, more thorns, rocks, sand...).

Bob Barker
05/03/2011, 02:13 PM
Since when has runnin been on the honey-do list?????????????????????????????????????????

uuhhh... does runnning away from it count?

:laughing:

tom4bren
05/04/2011, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you can answer that one yerself.

Mark B
05/04/2011, 12:31 PM
That is only about a hour away from me.
I could have come and give you spport.
Congradulations.

Bob Barker
05/04/2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks! There are another 4 races scheduled for next season, but the first isn't until November! I'm hoping I don't slack on training and make some gains this summer as I'd LOVE to win a couple of these races. The way I see it is I'm about a minute per mile off the winners pace! :laugho: That's a HUGE gap to keep up!

Triathlete
05/04/2011, 05:08 PM
Time for some speed work!

Bob Barker
05/04/2011, 07:02 PM
I've started that some. There is a high school track very close to home and me and workout buddy will go there for some speed drills. It's not very scientific though! Normally goes like this:

1 lap around track at 75% "full speed"
Trip to the bleachers repeated top to bottom 3 times

We do this circuit until either someone gives up or we reach 1 mile of track running, don't know what the bleachers add to that.

I've been looking through Youtube for speed drills! Best I can get to that's free!

RamAirZ
05/04/2011, 08:15 PM
Nice job John! Not bad results at all!

Bob Barker
05/04/2011, 08:28 PM
Dunno why I just thought about this, but the lady handing me something at the finish line... that was a block of cheese :laugho: I don't really understand people! I've never ever craved a block of cheese after any physical event, or hell at any time in my life! Then there is the lady with the blue coffee mug that went out to the top howervermanyfinisherswe'vegotenoughfor contestants! I stopped just behind there to chat with my wife and wait for workout buddy to finish and saw the coffee cup lady YELLING at someone to take the mug! :D

RamAirZ
05/04/2011, 08:38 PM
LOL that's pretty funny

SlowPro48
05/05/2011, 10:22 AM
Cheese???? Haha! That's weird. Looks like the next finisher gets the banana in her pants. Or maybe she was just happy to see you...