PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover and intake gaskets?

p_justin13
05/09/2011, 01:59 PM
I'm looking at replacing the valve cover and upper and lower intake gaskets next weekend. I'm right aroung 170k and can see some spots that oil is getting through though still running like a champ. Just wondering if there is anything else I should know or get part wise other than the gaskets that I may need for this job when pulling everything apart? Hoping to get gaskets, radiatior hoses, fuel filter, new rancho 9000xl shocks, and all four rotors and pads done on a good saturday. lol any info on the gaskets would rock. Just worried when taking apart there's always something else that needs to be pulled that you need a part for. Thanks in advance
Justin

nfpgasmask
05/09/2011, 03:09 PM
Just a thought, but you might get new fasteners as well, just to be on the safe side. I think my valve covers are starting to seep as well.

Bart

jmayer40
05/09/2011, 07:32 PM
how about timing belt and everything involved with that...? You went down my street Sunday, huh? My brother spotted your VX ... My twin...

IndianaVX
05/09/2011, 08:33 PM
You might look into getting new washers for the valve covers. They are a steel/rubber washer combo. Mine were very dry and cracked. I would also go ahead and get new injector o rings. If money is no object so far, get a fuel pressure regulator, if you haven't replaced it already. These are all pieces you are going to remove anyway, may as well fix it while you're in there! Get some Brake cleaner too. While I had mine All apart, I cleaned the plenum out real well too. After cleaning with the brake cleaner, I soaked all the baffles with seafoam deep creep to lube it all up, and to loosen any carbon that may have been missed. Your valve cover kit should come with new spark plug hole gaskets too. Can't see your post, I would replace thermostat also while you're there. I also sprayed and clearcoqted my covers while they were out.
Good luck!

p_justin13
05/10/2011, 11:09 AM
HAHA, yeah was out there this weekend for mothers day, your truck is looking great. The timimg belt and the ac compressor were both changed right when I bought it so good on that for now. Any idea on where I can get the washers for the valve covers? Merlin? Or something I can order local? Also where I can get teh injector O rings? Thanks, again in advance. Also yes will be doing the thermostat at the same time as I'm doing silicone radiator hoses and flush at same time.

IndianaVX
05/10/2011, 07:00 PM
Merlin..... I always try and use Merlin! Discount, free shipping, and you know the part is gonna fit, and work! I will look and see if I still have o ring numbers. But again, Merlin knows.