PDA

View Full Version : welder

Bob Barker
05/12/2011, 11:49 PM
So I want to get a welder, one that I can use at home. I don't know how to weld, but have a buddy that can and will teach me as we go along. So who here that has one at home, what would you recommend for me to look for? I'll most likely be looking for something used locally. I'll be using it for small projects on my SVO and things like bumpers or sliders or diff brackets on the VX. NOTHING heavy duty! Just a little shade tree mechanic size will do just fine!

Bob Barker
05/13/2011, 12:00 AM
http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/2377184139.html

is that a good one for what I want to do? Simple enough to use and strong enough to melt metal with other metal?!

etlsport
05/13/2011, 04:19 AM
I have this craftsman mig welder

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00920569000P

It is a good starter welder, but as you get better you can expand it as it is gas or gasless. Comes with a nice cart and a joke of a mask

I'm no professional but have made some nice things with it including a gas grille and my light bar for the vx

jmayer40
05/13/2011, 04:48 AM
Mig is so much easier than stick. Arc, you have to find proper stick and range. Mig point and burn away..

Bob Barker
05/13/2011, 05:00 AM
So mig... but what about price?

etlsport
05/13/2011, 07:23 AM
the craftsman i have i think retails around 500... i found a screaming deal on it and got one new in box for 45 :) but that was a fluke, when it goes on sale its usually around 400-450

VX KAT
05/13/2011, 08:51 AM
Travelin2 had a portable welder that attached to a vehicle, for welds on the trail. He had it listed on ebay a few times, but I don't think it sold. Maybe contact him and see if he still has it.

Triathlete
05/13/2011, 11:20 AM
Sue, those are made by Holbart and are great for trail fixes but far from ideal for any serious welding projects.
On that note, for trail fixes you can weld with a pair of jumper cables, two batteries and some welding stick...it ain't pretty but it gets the job done.

jmayer40
05/13/2011, 02:00 PM
Check out Harbor Freight, I think Walmart sells cheaper one for around 250.00 .. they are good starter.

RamAirZ
05/13/2011, 02:21 PM
I like the Lincoln 135amp welder I've been using, they sell them in the 140amp version now. My buddy found his at a pawn shop for $150 and it has a hook-up for gas

BOARZHEAD
05/13/2011, 04:10 PM
harbor freight has a flux core for 99$ good for small projects but thats it. Invest in a good mig machine like miller or lincoln. As for stick welding once you get the hang of it its great. Mig is easier but to constantly run gas and wire starts to eat up wallet.

BOARZHEAD
05/13/2011, 04:12 PM
We call that a buzz box. Its not what you want. You can get a new one for 300$ with 2 year warrenty.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=welder&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/2377184139.html

is that a good one for what I want to do? Simple enough to use and strong enough to melt metal with other metal?!

newthings
05/13/2011, 10:28 PM
HI,
I weld and have a small Miller MIG. I also volunteer at the USCG shop doing metal fab. The difference between little welders at their max and a 250 amp machine is great. It is hard to go back.
I suggest you invest a bit in yourself first. Find a junior college with a welding program and do a semester or two. They may have a special program to train users doing just what you want to do with a small machine.
Then, decide how into welding you want to go. Used professional machines are available. Check in with your local Miller sales shop for demos and returns.
Good luck, Roy

Scott Larson
05/14/2011, 06:02 AM
I bought a Solar mig welder years ago for $400.00 and it has done everything I've ever needed it to. It's a 110/220 volt 225 amp gas mig that uses a tank of argon gas for shielding. So much better then a flux core IMHO. Also, stick welders are great if all you plan to weld is heavy gauge steel; but if you plan on doing any sheetmetal work, mig or tig is the best way to go as they can weld both, to 1/4" and beyond. Mig is also the easiest to learn and use while tig is the hardest. They all take a little patience and practice, but it comes pretty quickly. Best of luck!

technocoy
05/14/2011, 06:57 AM
If you get a MIG make sure it's at least able to upgrade to gas. The difference is night and day.

I would say unless you are welding sheet metal or tiny delicate parts a stick welder would be fine, and it's also the best way to learn how to make a good weld.

A TIG is probably overkill for most of what you would ever do and is considerably harder to learn. Unless you'll be doing lot's of thin stainless, aluminum, copper, etc, it's really not something you should bother with. They are also a bit more expensive. It's essentially a plasma welder.

Welder Supply and Harbor Freight would be good places to look.

Welding brands are like asking about Ford or Chevy, Nikon or Canon... They are all pretty much decent, and it really comes down to what you wind up comfortable with and what color you love ;-)

Lincoln and Miller are both good base brands to start with. With BuzzBoxes (stick welders) it's pretty hard to go wrong either way.

RabidPony
05/14/2011, 08:55 AM
As said before, start with MIG and make sure you get a welder that uses, or is upgradable to use, gas. I've used both Lincoln and Miller and both are the same as far as I'm concerned. I would recommend bigger over smaller though. You can always turn a big welder down but once you get the hang of welding, you'll out grow a small welder real quick.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is protective gear. Don't cheap out here as better gear makes a world of difference. Definitely go with an auto-darkening helmet versus a regular lensed one. It makes things so much easier it isn't even funny. I use an ArcOne Python Fighting Tiger 5000v and I love it. Comfortable, good viewing area, adjustable darkness and sensitivity, inexpensive replacement lenses, and it doesn't hurt that it looks cool. :bwgy: Also, make sure to get a good pair of insulated welding gloves, your hands will thank you. I use Tillman's. For the protective gear, take a look at Weldersource.com, it's where I get all my gear and they have the best prices I've found anywhere, along with good service and free shipping.

tjh
05/14/2011, 09:22 AM
HI,
I weld and have a small Miller MIG. I also volunteer at the USCG shop doing metal fab. The difference between little welders at their max and a 250 amp machine is great. It is hard to go back.
I suggest you invest a bit in yourself first. Find a junior college with a welding program and do a semester or two. They may have a special program to train users doing just what you want to do with a small machine.
Then, decide how into welding you want to go. Used professional machines are available. Check in with your local Miller sales shop for demos and returns.
Good luck, Roy

Great advice!