PDA

View Full Version : Redid My Dash With Axiom Parts

xcelr8
05/15/2011, 04:16 PM
wow. What a project. Let me start off by saying I don't have a lot of tools so this took 4 solid days. The vents are from a Cadillac Catera and the center piece is Axiom. I built the sides with 3/4 plastic mimicing the shape of the VX that's in some museum somewhere...someone posted a pic and I just had to have it. Well, here's my poor man's version of it.

I'm really sorry I didn't take pics for a "how-to" but once I got started I just kepyt going. I work in the news so time off is almost impossible. I had to get it sone with the few days off I could take.

I'll post more once it gets done.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dash2.JPGhttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/dash2.JPG

finally figured out how to add pics. Someone asked for a better one.

Bob Barker
05/15/2011, 04:41 PM
Pretty cool lookin!

Does it lay over the dash in that area or did you cut out the original and press that in there?

xcelr8
05/15/2011, 04:50 PM
I had to cut the top edge of our dash. I did it with a HUGE lump in my throat...I just couldn't settle for our dash. It looks like such an aftethought for such a cool looking vehicle.

xcelr8
05/15/2011, 04:53 PM
Here's another (but crappy) pic

atilla_the_fun
05/15/2011, 04:54 PM
Looks nice! Is the gps/nav/radio unit functional? It seems like a pull from another car - an Axiom as well? I know that for some of those units you need a plug to the ECU for anti-theft deactivation. I'm talking about the LCD screen/radio.

Will you continue all the way across the dash?

LittleBeast
05/15/2011, 04:57 PM
So you lost the use of the 3 right-most buttons just to the right of the steering wheel? But you can still see the edge of them, looks like the new center thing was just put on top of them? Or is that where you had to cut to?

Good idea I think it needs more final touches maybe? How flush is it on the passenger side? Kinda looks like an after thought just slapped in there right now.

It will be interesting to see how flush you can make this look. Nice job so far..... More pictures?

xcelr8
05/15/2011, 05:03 PM
as i said, tis not finished. there was an alarm button there, a defrost, emergency,a stupid blank and cruise. The defrost has joined the other defrost by emergency brake (where there was yet ANOTHER stupid blank). The alarm light will be poking out of the top center of the Axiom piece (there's a stock hole for it).

So I retained the emergency button and the cruise.

xcelr8
05/15/2011, 05:05 PM
Looks nice! Is the gps/nav/radio unit functional? It seems like a pull from another car - an Axiom as well? I know that for some of those units you need a plug to the ECU for anti-theft deactivation. I'm talking about the LCD screen/radio.

Will you continue all the way across the dash?

This unit is for a Corolla (it has orange lights to match ours. BTW, I redid my AC lights in orange to match). I bought it new. I adpated a toyo harness and vilola.

NAV completely functional.

atilla_the_fun
05/15/2011, 09:23 PM
Could you share details on how you adapted the toyota harness for the corolla NAV? Is there a site or link that goes through what is necessary? I'm not familiar with working with these more advanced units.

LittleBeast
05/15/2011, 10:41 PM
as i said, tis not finished. there was an alarm button there, a defrost, emergency,a stupid blank and cruise. The defrost has joined the other defrost by emergency brake (where there was yet ANOTHER stupid blank). The alarm light will be poking out of the top center of the Axiom piece (there's a stock hole for it).

So I retained the emergency button and the cruise.

You could get the fuzzy hole blank switches from Marlin and you would instantly have 3 more factory blanks to the left of the steering wheel in a matter of days ;-)

xcelr8
05/16/2011, 04:42 AM
Could you share details on how you adapted the toyota harness for the corolla NAV? Is there a site or link that goes through what is necessary? I'm not familiar with working with these more advanced units.

Very simple. You will need to ID our radio harness wires. Buy a corolla (or whatev) male harness on ebay for like 5. cut the plug off our harness. Match the wires (the ebay one will come marked). That's it.

xcelr8
05/16/2011, 04:44 AM
You could get the fuzzy hole blank switches from Marlin and you would instantly have 3 more factory blanks to the left of the steering wheel in a matter of days ;-)

I think staring at those blanks made me a little crazy. I mean, nothing sez "whoops! we don't need that stinking switch...what will we do?" Like a blank. Defrost looks awesome married with the other by e-brake.

LittleBeast
05/16/2011, 07:21 AM
I think staring at those blanks made me a little crazy. I mean, nothing sez "whoops! we don't need that stinking switch...what will we do?" Like a blank. Defrost looks awesome married with the other by e-brake.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean but the blanks are also perfect for those of us that are in need of more switches, it gives us the perfect ability to look stock but add aftermarket switches for aftermarket mods. For instance if you wanted foglights, or rear door popper, or ....... I was just trying to say that even loosing those 3 to the right of the steering wheel you could easily replace them if you need to in the future. Not sure if you needed them or not. I am going to work on wiring one of the blanks to work with my garage door opener.

RamAirZ
05/16/2011, 11:44 PM
Example of the fuzzy-hole replacement with switches in it

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/IMG_5163.jpg

BeeVenom
05/17/2011, 06:01 PM
xcelr8, I love it! Great idea and well done! Makes a guy/gal start to think.......Hmmmmmmm!

eternal21
05/20/2011, 10:12 PM
as i said, tis not finished. there was an alarm button there, a defrost, emergency,a stupid blank and cruise.

That looks pretty spiffy!

Would you be willing to part with that blank? :)

LittleBeast
05/20/2011, 10:31 PM
That looks pretty spiffy!

Would you be willing to part with that blank? :)

If he can't get you a blank, member "marlin" can, he got me 3 of them.

xcelr8
05/22/2011, 08:57 AM
I have a few...yeah, you have them. just send me a PM and whatever shipping would be.

xcelr8
05/22/2011, 08:58 AM
xcelr8, I love it! Great idea and well done! Makes a guy/gal start to think.......Hmmmmmmm!

Thanks! It's changed quite a bit (looks much better) as I get more done. I'll post some new pics soon.

xcelr8
04/15/2012, 06:19 AM
bringing htis back...just an update; everyhting working fine as far as dash goes. I wish the unit itself was better (static making phone calls) but good enuff, I s'pose.

tysamigo
05/29/2013, 12:39 PM
bump...

just wanted to know if you could update us with new pics :)

I'm very interested on how everything turned out...

EVO
05/29/2013, 12:57 PM
Dat Ez Sexy!!!!

44ficus44
05/29/2013, 02:46 PM
flashy flashy! I wanna do something like that but im a lazy dude hehe it takes me months to finish something. hihi. too much to do not enough time