PDA

View Full Version : CV Question

tom4bren
05/20/2011, 03:20 PM
Out of all the times I've replaced the CV boots, I've never had to disassemble the Outer CV. Now I need to. How do you get the guts out of the outer CV? I can't see any kind of a retaining clip ... but there has to be one.

LittleBeast
05/20/2011, 03:52 PM
You probably have th cv totally out of truck right? Bearing cover off (Allen head bolts) and c clip snap ring off, push cv through to inside?

Well the center shaft just pops into place. I took a hammer to the outer cage while having the smaller outer green cup clamped down and the shaft pops out. As far as getting the outer cage and balls out I don't know. Is there a retaining ring like the inner? I have never had problems with the outer. Have you thought about just getting a new generic one? Or finding a nice used one?

tom4bren
05/20/2011, 07:37 PM
The outer on the drivers side exploded a few months ago. The axle shop needs the small shaft from the passenger side to rebuild my spare set. That piece was missing when I got the parts back from RCV.

I can't see any retaining clip on the outer but I know there has to be one. I'll hit it again tomorrow.

Triathlete
05/20/2011, 09:22 PM
Just an FYI...my Empi's survived the beating I gave them in Moab!:yesy::bwgy:

Dumke
05/20/2011, 11:07 PM
Tom I had the same problem with trying to get mine off. Reading various "different forums" you either rotate them just right or clamp the shaft down and BFG it. I am not sure which axles you have as I had lame EMPI axles installed. Crap I cant find them darn links or how I googled it. I will try and find this weekend. There was no pictures/video all I could find was discussion.

tom4bren
05/22/2011, 05:33 PM
I'm taking it to the axle shop in the morning. They already have 2 with the shaft removed so I'll just swap with them (prolly save some effort since the outter will not have to be rebuilt on that side.