PDA

View Full Version : Offroad Lights wiring issue

etlsport
05/22/2011, 06:31 AM
I just re-wired the lights on my roof, there are (4) 55w halogens.

They are on two seperate switches which trigger 2 separate 30amp relays.

The setup is..

(2) 12ga wires run through my aux fuse box, 25amp fuses on each. those run directly to the relays, located behind the glove box. from the relays each light is wired individually, so (8) 16ga wires (4 power 4 ground) run to the back of the vx, out the spoiler and up to the lights. The wires are all contained within a 4ga jacket (its a 9 conductor power wire for audio install) they are grounded on separate ring terminals to the factory ground located behind the passenger side kick panel.

when i hit either of the switches, all 4 lights come on somewhat dimly. When i hit the second switch they all go to full power. They are supposed to just come on two at a time. If i disconnect the ground from two of the wires, only the other two will light up. If i disconnect one of the relays and give power to the other, all 4 lights come on. if i skip the relays all together, supplying power to 2 lights will make all 4 come on.

... im stumped :_confused

LittleBeast
05/22/2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a ground problem unless you just crossed the wires up on accident. I would try groundeing one pair of the lights somewhere else to a good frame ground. Probably not good to ground that many things to one area, it would make sense that for the pair that should not get power (with one switch on only) the path of least resistant to ground might be back up and around the other set of lights and thus turning on all the lights since halogen bulbs are not polar specific.