PDA

View Full Version : About a hitch?

CoastieCosta567
05/24/2011, 06:14 AM
Hey all, it's time for me to finally get that darn hitch I've been putting off for a while. So, where do I find the hide away hitch, or the stick out one? How much do they run for?...I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, are they universal or is there a specific one that I need to get for the VX? Thank you guys. :grino:

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 06:20 AM
I can still get the 'Tone Clone' hidden hitch made for $175 (in fact Welder Guy has one sitting on the shelf ready for powder coating).

Not sure where everyone was getting the 'droopy drawers' version - I'll let the others chime in on that type.

CoastieCosta567
05/24/2011, 07:32 AM
how much would shipping cost? like for central florida for example.

tom4bren
05/24/2011, 08:03 AM
Free shipping - I'm just helping out the VX family.

jmayer40
05/24/2011, 04:58 PM
Question, The Tone clone .. mounts to the crossmember on the rear of the frame, right? How much weight can it really hold? wouldn't it be better if it had been mounted to the sides?

a745035
05/24/2011, 08:50 PM
I'm also looking for the better-looking Tone-style hitch. I know it's a class 3, 2"... but how much tongue weight can it (on the VX) handle given the mounting strategy? - TIA

vt_maverick
05/24/2011, 09:04 PM
I've read on here that the tongue weight rating is somewhere in the 400 lbs. range, but I've found that my Tone hitch will start leaning at around 200-250 lbs. jmayer40 you are correct in how the hitch mounts, as well as in your observation as to why it leans. If the hitch were mounted to the frame rails as in the Curt/Dylan style, the whole truck would sit low in the back but the hitch wouldn't lean. The downside to the frame-rail approach is that force exerted on the hitch can cause the frame to twist, whereas the Tone-style only impacts the cross member.

Wiser folks please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

JoFotoz
05/24/2011, 09:10 PM
If you intend to do ANY off road driving...

..IMO the exposed Dylan Curtis hitch is the way to go.

Acts as a rear skid plate..protects yer A.$.$.

Trust me...my car knows!

JFYI!

jo

CoastieCosta567
05/25/2011, 06:44 AM
great price. What can i tow with it. I'm looking to buy a 15-20 foot boat and i need a hitch asap, but can the VX and the hitch handle that kind of weight?

JAMAS
05/25/2011, 08:04 AM
great price. What can i tow with it. I'm looking to buy a 15-20 foot boat and i need a hitch asap, but can the VX and the hitch handle that kind of weight?

I believe there is a "what have you towed" thread somewhere that discusses all that. If I recall correctly, the hitch should be able to handle pulling more than the VX is safely capable of pulling.

JAMAS
05/25/2011, 08:05 AM
here ya go....this is a good start..

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18543

tom4bren
05/25/2011, 09:36 AM
Question, The Tone clone .. mounts to the crossmember on the rear of the frame, right? How much weight can it really hold? wouldn't it be better if it had been mounted to the sides?

Yes & yes. The upgrade version that Welder Guy is prototyping now does exactly that. It will also replace the little tube bumper thinggy behind the cladding.

I'm also looking for the better-looking Tone-style hitch. I know it's a class 3, 2"... but how much tongue weight can it (on the VX) handle given the mounting strategy? - TIA

There's a pic in my gallery of 3 guys standing on my SuperBumper ... no sagging detectable.

I've read on here that the tongue weight rating is somewhere in the 400 lbs. range, but I've found that my Tone hitch will start leaning at around 200-250 lbs. jmayer40 you are correct in how the hitch mounts, as well as in your observation as to why it leans. If the hitch were mounted to the frame rails as in the Curt/Dylan style, the whole truck would sit low in the back but the hitch wouldn't lean. The downside to the frame-rail approach is that force exerted on the hitch can cause the frame to twist, whereas the Tone-style only impacts the cross member.

Wiser folks please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Yer right on all points. I actually deformed that crossmember when I installed my hitch (just tightening the bolts). It's really not the ideal mounting point. If we weren't upgrading the design, I'd probably pound out the depression in my crossmember and sleeve the holes.

If you intend to do ANY off road driving...

..IMO the exposed Dylan Curtis hitch is the way to go.

Acts as a rear skid plate..protects yer A.$.$.

Trust me...my car knows!

JFYI!

jo

I have no response to that.

a745035
05/25/2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info Jamas and Tom4Bren. If the Tone-style hitch can handle 200-250 lbs. of tongue weight, that should be enough for me. Just want the convenience of being able to haul small stuff with it, like my 8x7 junk trailer which really shouldn't ever have more than 2,000 lbs. in it anyway. (axle rating) IF that much, I'd haul it with my Avalanche anyway. As for rock crawling with my VX... not any time soon.

djvx
05/25/2011, 10:16 PM
Hey all, it's time for me to finally get that darn hitch I've been putting off for a while. So, where do I find the hide away hitch, or the stick out one? How much do they run for?...I know this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway, are they universal or is there a specific one that I need to get for the VX? Thank you guys. :grino:
Dude what's the deal with your picture, is that you? Anyway I got a nice hitch put on so if you want the make model and picture let me know.

tom4bren
05/27/2011, 06:39 AM
Status update on the upgraded hidden hitch:

I spoke to Welder Guy last night. He's been swamped this week and plans to fab the initial prototype next week. When that's done, I'll take the VX to his shop for fit check & tweek. I'm hoping to have it final by the 10th of June. Then it'll just be the time for him to fab up the first 2 units (1 keeper & 1 to sell). After that, he'll make them as ordered. Neither one of us are deep enough in the pocket to fab up a bunch to keep on the shelf awaiting orders.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

CoastieCosta567
05/28/2011, 08:44 AM
Status update on the upgraded hidden hitch:

I spoke to Welder Guy last night. He's been swamped this week and plans to fab the initial prototype next week. When that's done, I'll take the VX to his shop for fit check & tweek. I'm hoping to have it final by the 10th of June. Then it'll just be the time for him to fab up the first 2 units (1 keeper & 1 to sell). After that, he'll make them as ordered. Neither one of us are deep enough in the pocket to fab up a bunch to keep on the shelf awaiting orders.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

sweet, let me know mae, i'll buy it in a few weeks, just got a cool little boat, used my dads truck to get it, but would be deff. needing a hitch soon, but now gots to get the boat sea worthy. Paid only 250 bucks said the chicken, :bgwo: .

CoastieCosta567
05/28/2011, 08:46 AM
Dude what's the deal with your picture, is that you? Anyway I got a nice hitch put on so if you want the make model and picture let me know.

lol, no not me, but i like it, funny looking gnome i think :bgwo: . Yeah Mae let me see some pic's, would like to see different options.

VX KAT
05/28/2011, 09:59 AM
Yes & yes. The upgrade version that Welder Guy is prototyping now does exactly that. It will also replace the little tube bumper thinggy behind the cladding.

Yer right on all points. I actually deformed that crossmember when I installed my hitch (just tightening the bolts). It's really not the ideal mounting point. If we weren't upgrading the design, I'd probably pound out the depression in my crossmember and sleeve the holes.

WelderGuy made my hitch. Tom can you tell me which parts are which so I'm clear?:_thinking

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4730.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4742.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4740.JPG

VX KAT
05/29/2011, 01:53 PM

Hey Coastie....I just remembered....last week in Moab, Greg (Orion) mentioned he had a used Tone style hitch he was looking to sell. Maybe contact him.

tom4bren
06/06/2011, 05:03 AM
Sorry Sue - procrastination is my middle name.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/upgraded_hitch.jpg

That piece that may go away is what your shakle is connected to so I'll see if we can keep it.

Vendetta
06/23/2011, 02:53 PM
Who is this Welder Guy and how do I reach him?

I gots me a hankerin' for a hitch!

tom4bren
06/23/2011, 03:32 PM
It's a guy I work with who does welding on the side. I'll call him tonight for an update (he prefers not to mess with the whole sales/packaging/shipping thang so you hafta go through me).

VX KAT
06/23/2011, 04:21 PM
Who is this Welder Guy and how do I reach him?

I gots me a hankerin' for a hitch!

Don't forget, Orion (Greg) has a used "Tone" style hitch for sale.

Vendetta
06/23/2011, 05:05 PM
Tom4, no problem at all man. Thanks for being the ambassador for our group here. Let me know what I need to get you. PM me if that's protocol, whatever.

Sue, good looking out. I'm aiming to do two things at once here (well more than that actually, but these are related): install a hitch, and install a front and read Ron/Rowhard "skidplate." Okay, add this to the possibly-related list also - a bull bar, because it might intersect the front skid plate mounting. (Where to find a bull bar?) Anyway, I see you have that same setup - looks great! My understanding is that Welder Guy's hitches are "Tone style," and all things being equal, I'd prefer to go new - but if Greg's is in good shape, I'll be happy to work with him! I'll send a PM and give you a mention. Cheers!

Ciao gang,
-V

tom4bren
06/24/2011, 02:06 AM
If you want it quick, Greg's is prolly your better bet. Welder guy is swamped with jobs at the moment (last I spoke with him - he was fixing everything damaged on a front loader that fell off it's trailer on the highway).

I can get Greg's powder coated for you if you wish.

circmand
06/24/2011, 05:05 AM
Mounts to the frame so far superior. I bought one for $170 including shipping hauled a sports car full of stuff cross country no problem except excessive oil use

tom4bren
06/24/2011, 06:38 AM
Mounts to the frame so far superior. I bought one for $170 including shipping hauled a sports car full of stuff cross country no problem except excessive oil use

Yah, but it's all about the asthetics.

'sides, Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.

VX KAT
06/24/2011, 08:22 AM
Yah, but it's all about the asthetics.

'sides, Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/laughing/lol-049.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

JAMAS
06/24/2011, 08:32 AM
Welder guy should have the upgraded version out soon. It'll have all the benefits of your fugly hitch without being ... well fugly.

I can't wait. Will that fit nicely in the already cut out portion of the cladding?

tom4bren
06/24/2011, 10:11 AM
I can't wait. Will that fit nicely in the already cut out portion of the cladding?

That's the plan. Here's how the design considerations went:

Take the Tone design and stretch it out to reach from frame to frame.

OK - but then the tube bumper needs to go away

OK - the hitch will be your bumper now (actually stronger than the tube anyway) but now the lower cladding bolts to ... thin air

OK - replicate the cladding mounting features to the hitch

OK - but now the bracket that everyone attaches the shackle to on the passenger side is in the way

OK - remove bracket, don't need no stinkin shackle - just get a receiver mounted mr scarey hook from Northern Tool ($20)

OK - But KAT needs her receiver pin relocated (she's special)

OK - But Dub needs a skull engraved on his

OK - But JAMAS needs his powder coated a special color to match his cargo boxes

OK - But circmand STILL ain't happy wit it

dsallade01
06/24/2011, 10:18 AM
That's the plan. Here's how the design considerations went:

Take the Tone design and stretch it out to reach from frame to frame.

OK - but then the tube bumper needs to go away

OK - the hitch will be your bumper now (actually stronger than the tube anyway) but now the lower cladding bolts to ... thin air

OK - replicate the cladding mounting features to the hitch

OK - but now the bracket that everyone attaches the shackle to on the passenger side is in the way

OK - remove bracket, don't need no stinkin shackle - just get a receiver mounted mr scarey hook from Northern Tool ($20)

OK - But KAT needs her receiver pin relocated (she's special)

OK - But Dub needs a skull engraved on his

OK - But circmand STILL ain't happy wit it

Ok--- so I'm anxious!! when and how much??

JAMAS
06/24/2011, 11:09 AM

True. And it has to have been previously installed on your VX, then removed to suit my needs. :)

tom4bren
06/24/2011, 12:11 PM
Ok--- so I'm anxious!! when and how much??

Don't know when. Don't know how much. After a 14 hour day yesterday, I went brain dead on my commute home & forgotted to call him. Hoping to get out of work today after only 11 hours, so ...

True. And it has to have been previously installed on your VX, then removed to suit my needs. :)

That would mean that you get the firstest prototype since that's what I'll be getting. I'm the guinea pig.

Oh yeah, & it'll be painted John Deere Yellow.

circmand
06/24/2011, 12:57 PM
Don't know when. Don't know how much. After a 14 hour day yesterday, I went brain dead on my commute home & forgotted to call him. Hoping to get out of work today after only 11 hours, so ...

That would mean that you get the firstest prototype since that's what I'll be getting. I'm the guinea pig.

Oh yeah, & it'll be painted John Deere Yellow.

has a yellow? I only know JD Green. BTW its going to be very difficult to overcome that last very good reason to use the CURT

JAMAS
06/24/2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Spray/Krylon/Farm-and-Implement/John-Deere-Yellow/John-Deere-Yellow-xlg.jpg

circmand
06/24/2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Spray/Krylon/Farm-and-Implement/John-Deere-Yellow/John-Deere-Yellow-xlg.jpg

I am not going to get into another paint color debate

tom4bren
06/24/2011, 01:15 PM
It's not a bad match to Proton ... as long as it's not right up against a body panel. My diff drop brackets, crossmember & drop brackets, and seat sliders are all painted that color.

VX KAT
06/24/2011, 03:29 PM
I am not going to get into another paint color debate
OK, what have you done with our Circman?

tom4bren
06/27/2011, 07:34 AM
UPDATE:

I spoke with Welder Guy on Friday. He tacked up (just welded a few spots enough to hold shape till the first fit test) the first prototype but fell back to explore a few produceability options to keep cost down. I'm sure Y'all will appreciate it if we can keep the price @ $200 (just $25 more than the Tone Clone). He hopes to be ready for fit check sometime next week.

A lot of Ron's business is keeping other small business operators in business. Most of what he works on is equipment that is these guy's only means of income so they take priority.

I'll keep you posted.

JAMAS
06/27/2011, 08:00 AM
Sounds like good progress. Thanks for the update

Vendetta
06/27/2011, 10:59 AM
Good update, thanks.

Watching and waiting...
-V

dsallade01
06/27/2011, 11:16 AM
glad to hear it. $200 dollars sounds great.

Bershire Hills
07/01/2011, 05:39 PM
looking for hitch as well, any hope ? > the new guy

arcobarco
07/03/2011, 09:31 AM
Read the string.
Put me in line for one. Have the funds, and we're looking to utilize the utility in my wifes new VX. We can hardly wait to play with it.

JHarris1385
07/04/2011, 09:12 PM
So this new one will allow for additional tongue weight right?

As far as the Curt hitch, I have seen two varieties. Which one is it? Looks like the main difference is the way it is winged at the top to attach.

Outside: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Isuzu/VehiCROSS/2000/13556.html?vehicleid=20009025

Inside: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-TRAILER-HITCH-13556-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb35150c6QQitemZ20057 6946374QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_6667wt_1034

Which one is the right one? The more expensive non-ebay one I bet.

tom4bren
07/05/2011, 05:18 AM
Nope. Somebody please give that man a lolliepop. 2 guesses & both wrong.:)

Just rattling yer cage Dude.

This will be completely hidden by the cladding ('cept for the receiver). It's the next generation of the Tone hitch. It's inspired by 'Buns of Steel' to give your VX the tightest hiney in town.

JHarris1385
07/05/2011, 10:53 AM
?

JAMAS
07/05/2011, 12:49 PM
!

Luna X
07/05/2011, 01:07 PM
I went with the Curt hitch.... I know, I know it gives the "filled diaper" look as Tom4bren as mentioned but.............

in my many years of R & I bumpers, I have never seen ones so whimpy!
I don't know how they even passed the US 10 mph standards.?.?

So, if you are just gonna use it for a camping grill holder or step bar, I would go with the strength of the Curt that bolts to the frame rails.

"That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it"............;)

JAMAS
07/05/2011, 01:09 PM
So, if you are just gonna use it for a camping grill holder or step bar, I would go with the strength of the Curt that bolts to the frame rails.

ooooorrrrrrrr.......wait for the New WelderGuy&Tom special edition.

Should have all the benefits of both sides of the discussion.

JHarris1385
07/05/2011, 02:05 PM
Anyone know which is the correct mount for the curt hitch?

Outside: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Isuzu/VehiCROSS/2000/13556.html?vehicleid=20009025

or

Inside: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-TRAILER-HITCH-13556-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb35150c6QQitemZ20057 6946374QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_6667wt_1034

tom4bren
07/06/2011, 09:08 AM
?

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you were asking. I thought that you were asking which of the two links you posted were what we've been calling the Tone upgrade.

or

Sorry, I don't know. Maybe PM SilverBullet. I think he's the most knowlegable about the Curt design.

I went with the Curt hitch.... I know, I know it gives the "filled diaper" look as Tom4bren as mentioned but.............

I crack myself up sometimes. Mom always told me though that I think I'm a wit ... & I'm half right.

in my many years of R & I bumpers, I have never seen ones so whimpy!
I don't know how they even passed the US 10 mph standards.?.?

Actually, the parts in Tone's design are uber strong ... it's what it's mounted to that doesn't 'cut the mustard'.

"That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it"............;)

I have no response to that

circmand
07/07/2011, 08:08 AM

or

not sure if the inside works as well but the outside is easier to mount

JHarris1385
07/09/2011, 09:34 AM
Just bought: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Trailer-Hitches

tom4bren
07/14/2011, 07:43 AM
I talked to Welder Guy last night. I'm supposed to hook up with him next Thursday or Friday for him to fit check the new design (& to locate the tabs for the cladding bolts). Will keep you posted.

hughesdt
07/14/2011, 09:39 AM
Please do, anxiously awaiting the next generation of tow hitch. Can you snap a picture when you see it???

Dan

tom4bren
07/14/2011, 09:42 AM
sure, but it'll be ugly. It'll still just be tacked together & not fully welded.

Vendetta
07/14/2011, 06:47 PM
I'm wondering if the hitch will fit the same notch in Rowhard's fiberglass rear skid plate. Any good info on that would be greatly appreciated!
-V

JAMAS
07/15/2011, 06:22 AM
I'm wondering if the hitch will fit the same notch in Rowhard's fiberglass rear skid plate. Any good info on that would be greatly appreciated!
-V

I dont want to speak for him, but I believe Tom will make sure the hitch fits in his existing "slot" already cut out for the Tone style hitch. So if its in the same position as before, I would say it will fit the same notch in the Rowhards fiberglass rear skid plate.

tom4bren
07/18/2011, 04:39 AM
That's the plan (read page 2 of this thread).

tom4bren
07/25/2011, 05:08 AM
I planned on spending about 2 hours with Welder Guy on Friday (I had lotsa honey-do's that the rest of the day was scheduled for).

Instead, I spent about 9 hours in his shop. This is what we learnt:

Rural Virginia has lotsa 'good ol boys' stopping by throughout the day with beer in hand willing to "help".

Things behind the cladding are much tighter than I thought they were. Everytime that we adjusted the design to eliminate an interference, another came about. After about 6 iterations of the design, we think we have a viable product.

The cut out in your cladding (for the original Tone hitch) should still be correct.

The receiver will protrude approximately 1/2 inch further than the original. This should be a good thing though since some were having problems installing a locking hitch pin.

We may be able to retain the tube bumper but the tabs for the cladding bolts will have to be cut off. Of course, I already cut mine up thinking that we wouldn't be using it anymore.

We will lose both of the rear snatch points. Sorry ... you'll just hafta get a receiver Mr Scary Hook from Harbor Freight. The right side snatch point uses 3 bolts that we need to use. The left side only uses 1. Since we are going for strength on this design, 6 mounting bolt features are worth the loss of the shackles. We'll have 2 vertical bolts and 4 horizontal.

It will be made from 2" thick wall steel square tube. It's going to be heavy so shipping cost will be more.

Welder Guy will try to have the first prototype fully welded in a week. He's keeping the tacked version as a shop queen to use for comparison till the process is locked in.

I took some pix. I'll get them posted later today.

tom4bren
07/25/2011, 08:06 AM
As promised:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_03712.JPG
Shows everything removed for installation.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_03721.JPG
Shows all that's left of the tube bumper (had to retain that part for side cladding bolts)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0376.JPG
New hitch (just tack welded so far - spacing and angles later changed)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_03773.JPG
Hitch held in place with jack & cladding held on with 3 bolts.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_03811.JPG
Hitch without cladding. Right mounting plate missing (it was a BFH thang - you wouldn't understand).

JAMAS
07/25/2011, 08:14 AM
Looking good.

how hard was it to remove the bolts that were holding the snatch/tie-down points?

tom4bren
07/25/2011, 08:51 AM
17mm box end with a 2' piece of PVC for leverage.

It was suprisingly easy considering the age, mud and fine threads.

tom4bren
07/25/2011, 12:10 PM
I just re-read your question & see there is more to it than I originally thought.

You CAN remove the one on the left (driver) side without removing the rear cladding. You MAY be able to remove the one on the right (passenger) side without removing the rear cladding but you'll have to be a contortionist.

JAMAS
07/25/2011, 12:42 PM
Your original reply answered my question. However, that is good to know about having to remove the cladding.

MeowMix
07/25/2011, 03:16 PM
I know I've been almost non-existent around this place lately (2 back to back 4-week accelerated summer courses will do that), but I surface every now and again with something to say...

...and I say I like this hitch. Sign me up for one as well, but in a little while -- I have the funds for either a hitch OR a roof rack at this point in time, but not both. If work ever gives me more hours, I'll pick up both...until then, I need to hold onto the extra play money I have, in case I find someone who is actually willing to sell me their rack. ;py;

tom4bren
07/26/2011, 03:23 AM
...and I say I like this hitch. Sign me up for one as well, but in a little while --

No problemo.

The intent is to get the product designed & produceable right now. Welder Guy will fabricate as needed (neither of us have deep enough pockets to keep a large stock on hand). Summer is his busy time anyway. As the weather gets more worser, he'll have more time to fab stuff for us.

BTW, still looking for someone who is willing to loan me their brush guard mounting brackets for Welder Guy to copy.

About finding someone willing to sell you their awsome rack ... I have no response to that.

tom4bren
07/28/2011, 11:56 AM
Talked to Welder Guy last night. He hasn't started fabricating the final hitch yet. He hopes to get to it later today. Will keep you posted.

tom4bren
08/02/2011, 07:27 AM
OK, spent another 2 hours with Welder Guy last night. He's going to have to start over from scratch. We got the hitch tucked in as far as humanly possible (snug against fuel tank shield & frame crossmember). Still couldn't get the cladding to align properly.

Our fall back position is to change from 2" stock tubing with 1/4" wall thickness to 1 1/2" stock tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. This should NOT significantly decrease the strength since we are WAY overdesigning anyway. The main reason that we were trying not to go away from the 2" tubing is that is what he had on hand. He'll be picking up the new tubing and tack a new copy together ASAP. Poor guy had such confidence in the last design that he actually cut enough tubing for 3 hitches. His plasma cutter is FUBAR & his welder is acting up so that's slowing him down too.

Wierd: I've sheered off two of the 10mm bolts on the rear of the cladding. Not sure what that's all about. I've learnt to get the cladding off in 10 min flat. WooHoo!!!

JAMAS
08/02/2011, 07:36 AM
Wierd: I've sheered off two of the 10mm bolts on the rear of the cladding. Not sure what that's all about. I've learnt to get the cladding off in 10 min flat. WooHoo!!!

Are you using a high speed air gun to remove the bolts "pit crew" style?

tom4bren
08/02/2011, 08:13 AM
Are you using a high speed air gun to remove the bolts "pit crew" style?

Nah, I'm old school - the gorilly approach.

tom4bren
08/10/2011, 10:17 AM
Talked to Ron last night. He's got the materials for the next build but his plasma cutter is still FUBAR (replacement coming in from Cali early next week). He hopes to have the final prototype by the end of next week. Will keep you posted.

Tom

BTW, looks like the cost is going to come in around $250 by his latest estimates.

a745035
08/14/2011, 09:26 AM
Not bad, considering the "over-engineering" factor with custom nip'tuck fit. My VX currently has NO hitch. Tongue-weight & "flex" with the original Tone hitch has always been the showstopper (no fugly bar... haul w/fugly truck instead) & it's still a concern with 1.5" tubing (Class II?)... but this is an exciting prospect!

Question.. would ALL the tubing be 1.5"? Or just the main lateral support between frame rails? Thinking about re-use of existing 2" bars/balls, hooks & other implements we already have.

Like all here, I look forward to updates and the possibility of hauling with the VX soon!

tom4bren
08/15/2011, 04:44 AM
All of the square tube will be 1.5". IIRC Ron said that it's 1/4" wall thickness so that's why I said that we are still well within the realm of 'designed by Max Headroom'. The receiver tube itself will of course NOT be 1.5".

Basically, to keep it all behind the cladding, the 2" tube will not fit without some very creative engineering/fabrication. The $$$ just don't make that practical (don't want to design something that nobody can afford). Besides, that creative fabrication would almost certainly have as much effect on structural integrity as switching to 1.5".

The problem lies with the curvature of the cladding and the location of the fuel tank shield. 2" stock could also be used if the fuel tank shield were modified but then it wouldn't be a bolt on modification. Again, designing something that couldn't be bolted on in the driveway was NOT an option (not everyone can drive from Azrizony to North Darkarta for a custom Ldub install).

VX KAT
08/15/2011, 09:43 AM
The problem lies with the curvature of the cladding and the location of the fuel tank shield. 2" stock could also be used if the fuel tank shield were modified but then it wouldn't be a bolt on modification. Again, designing something that couldn't be bolted on in the driveway was NOT an option

(not everyone can drive from Azrizony to North Darkarta for a custom Ldub install).

That was an absolutely wonderful fall trip...I highly recommend it!

About the hitch....as noted before, Dub couldn't get 3 of the bottom cladding bolts in after the hitch install...but when I had the rear skid plate installed, my mechanic did get the skid and cladding lined up and in the holes....:_thinking
I haven't noticed any bulging or embossing on the rear cladding from the hitch pressing on it...:_thinking
Apparently the hitch dimensions were close enough to allow it when it was forced with vice-grips...??:?:

tom4bren
08/15/2011, 09:49 AM
Those cladding mounting holes are going to be relocated to the receiver tube since the tube bumper behind the cladding will either be modified or go away entirely. vt_mav will be the guinnea pig on the installation instructions (my tube bumper has already been cut up).

We won't know until the final design of the hitch if we'll have to include some spacers for the cladding bolts.

Sue, I think that your cladding alignment issue was related to some sharp corners on the hitch plate that needed to be knocked off. If we were going to continue with that design, I'd make sure that we fixed that problem.

tom4bren
08/18/2011, 12:04 PM
Welder Guy's plasma cutter finally arrived last night. He plans on having the next copy tacked together before next Wednesday.

vt_maverick
08/18/2011, 01:23 PM
So when do you guys visit Natural Bridge? :D

a745035
09/07/2011, 01:49 PM
Been a little while... any update worth mentioning on this project? I know many on the east and gulf coasts have been preoccupied with the weather lately. :_shrug:

tom4bren
09/08/2011, 06:08 AM
I talked to Welder Guy earlier this week. He was Hoggin with freinds last week & I'm headed to Misssisssipppi next week. It'll probably be sometime close to the 23rd before we get to fit check the next (hopefully final) iteration.

tom4bren
10/11/2011, 12:42 PM
Well, I stopped by Welder Guy's shop yesterday for a fit check with the 1.5 inch tube design & here's what happened:

Arrived at 1430 & shut off VX.

Went in shop to move stuff around so we could pull in the VX.

Tried to start the VX at about 1440 ... no juice from the Optima Yellow Top.

Hooked up a battery charger & left it for about 30 minutes.

Still no juice (even with the charger set to jump setting).

Made run to AutoZone for new battery - Optima was only putting out 2 Amps.

Got the new battery in at about 1615 (added Lucas to power steering res since it was below min).

VX started right up but too late to start removing rear cladding. Brought the hitch pieces home with me to fit check & mark up for final assembly.

I'll keep you posted.

VXorado
10/12/2011, 03:08 PM
Hey Tom, is welder guy interested selling the scrapped hitch? I know someone who might be interested :naughty:

My frame is now under the rear bumper slightly so i would be interested in buying the old hitch (for a right price) if it fits okay without the cladding. Just a thought. I really like the design you guys have used because it will protect my gas tank in case of collision.

tom4bren
10/13/2011, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure if he kept the scrap pieces or not (still hafta make the end plates though). I'll ask.

VXorado
10/13/2011, 09:15 AM
Sounds good, either way i'll be interested in one.

tom4bren
10/24/2011, 06:50 AM
I fit checked the latest parts from Welder Guy on the hitch. It looks like it'll work. Now I just hafta get the parts back to him for finall assembly. He wants to add a gussett for strength since we went to 1/5" thick wall tubing. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

waymore35
11/25/2011, 06:24 PM
Any news on the hich? I'm finally doing some work on my VX and would like to have a hitch to install while it's apart.

VXorado
11/29/2011, 09:52 AM
:bump: for updates!

tom4bren
11/29/2011, 01:03 PM
Hitch is at house ... waiting for me to get home from AZ for fit check. Hope to have update for you soon.

VXorado
11/29/2011, 02:02 PM
Looking forward to the fit check. I'll probably buy one as soon as you confirm they're ready.

a745035
11/29/2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the bump and update on this... looking forward to next one and fruition.

tom4bren
12/28/2011, 09:49 AM
Another speed bump in the hitch design.

While doing the final fit check, I broke the hitch. Welder Guy just had it tack welded in place & I broke off one of the end plates. He's fixing it now & I hope to do the final fit check this Friday.

Will keep you posted.

SouthJ1
01/25/2012, 02:51 PM
Hows it Lookin Tom?

tom4bren
01/25/2012, 04:13 PM
He's got it ready for me to pick up on friday. Still just tack welded because it needs the final fit check. I'll have to mess with the gusset he added for strength as well. I'm sure it'll be hitting the cladding.

Hopefully the next rendition will be final.

Sorry it's taking so long but Welder Guy has been swamped & his shop is an hour away from me (usta work at the same place though ... much easier then).

Ldub
01/25/2012, 05:08 PM
He's got it ready for me to pick up on friday. Still just tack welded because it needs the final fit check. I'll have to mess with the gusset he added for strength as well. I'm sure it'll be hitting the cladding.

Sorry it's taking so long but Welder Guy has been swamped & his shop is an hour away from me (usta work at the same place though ... much easier then).

FWIW, & that prolly ain't much...:rolleyesg

I incorporated 4 triangular gussets (@ 90 & 45 deg) into my build, & had to do MUCH grindering to finally get the cladding back on...:yesgray:

Sorry...no pics exist.

tom4bren
01/26/2012, 04:53 AM
I'll take a before & after pic of that gusset so you can see the tight tolerance Dub & I are talking about.

VXorado
01/26/2012, 11:48 AM

Tom, try not to break this one :rolleyes:

tom4bren
01/31/2012, 06:03 AM
I've only dropped it twice so far ... & haven't broken it yet:)

vt_maverick
01/31/2012, 06:47 PM
Tom - Probably should have mentioned this well before now, but do you think welder guy could pre-drill holes for a j-pin? We had a hitch installed on our Axiom and it came pre-drilled for one of these:

http://www.realtruck.com/images/products/tow-ready-j-pin-hitch-pin-lock/thumbs-480x360/72774_j-pin_a.jpg

We took our hitch-mounted cargo box (which is infamous for rattling if you don't tighten it somehow) to Wisconsin and it was rock solid with this thing.

JAMAS
02/01/2012, 06:04 AM
Tom - Probably should have mentioned this well before now, but do you think welder guy could pre-drill holes for a j-pin? We had a hitch installed on our Axiom and it came pre-drilled for one of these:

http://www.realtruck.com/images/products/tow-ready-j-pin-hitch-pin-lock/thumbs-480x360/72774_j-pin_a.jpg

We took our hitch-mounted cargo box (which is infamous for rattling if you don't tighten it somehow) to Wisconsin and it was rock solid with this thing.

What is that?

vt_maverick
02/01/2012, 06:57 PM
Here's a better explanation from eTrailer.com:

Draw-Tite's exclusive J-Pin ready receiver design allows for the most confident and secure hookup in today's towing market by compressing the hitch mounted accessory against the inner side wall of the hitch receiver tube. Once attached, the hitch and towing components seem virtually welded together.

Draw-Tite's J-Pin quickly and confidently secures ball mounts and other hitch mounted accessories, eliminating the sway and rattle caused by necessary part clearance issues.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/6/3/63201_bb.jpg

tom4bren
02/02/2012, 06:54 AM
Ash,

It shouldn't be a problem. Can you get me a C/L to C/L between the two holes?

The only issue that I can see is that we are trying to keep the receiver as low profile as possible. The hole for the J-Hook may encroach on the end collar. Will keep you posted.

Tom

VX KAT
02/02/2012, 08:40 AM
Ash,

It shouldn't be a problem. Can you get me a C/L to C/L between the two holes?

The only issue that I can see is that we are trying to keep the receiver as low profile as possible. The hole for the J-Hook may encroach on the end collar. Will keep you posted.

Tom

Would you only put ONE (1) new hole, on one side, or two (2), for the J-pin? Obviously one hole only allows pin to be installed in one direction. Would that ever be an issue?

When I went thru my mounting hell on the rear skid, I had to have my shop drill a 2nd hole in the receiver closer to the collar to be able to fit a locking pin with my skid. If WelderGuy places hole exactly as he did mine, there's room for another without hitting the collar.

I'm not really sure if the 2nd hole compromises the integrity of the hitch, but my guy felt there was still enough metal between the collar and 2nd hole to safely use the hitch, although I told him I'd NEVER be towing a trailer of any kind. Mr. Engineer Tom, what do you think?

~There's 28mm from the aft side of the original hole, to the beginning of the collar.
~I centered a 2nd hole (5/8" = 17mm) within that 28mm space, it left 5.5mm on each side.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7573/dsc6658c.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7641/dsc6659v.jpg

tom4bren
02/03/2012, 05:37 AM
OOORRRRR ...

Now I'm just thinkin outside the box right now so bear with me ...

I focus on getting the dang thing to fit & worry about all yer minutiae stuff later:)

Just kidding.

I'm kinda leaning towards just drill & tap a hole through the collar (on the under side) for a large set screw. Benefits: hidden (no extra holes), no compromise of strength, gives you your locking option for rattling hitches. Issues: Ya gotta carry an allen wrench with you to remove the hitch.

BTW, Welder Guy has already located the hole for the pin 1/2 inch farther outboard for youse people who really can't stand the idea of me getting any sleep so put on stoopid fiberglass bling stuff that gets in the way of using the hitch for what it's intended for.:)

vt_maverick
02/03/2012, 07:31 AM
I'm kinda leaning towards just drill & tap a hole through the collar (on the under side) for a large set screw. Benefits: hidden (no extra holes), no compromise of strength, gives you your locking option for rattling hitches. Issues: Ya gotta carry an allen wrench with you to remove the hitch.

This is what I had done on my Tone hitch, but it didn't work as well as the J-pin. I think it may have had to do with the fact that with a bottom-mounted bolt you're trying to squeeze the accessory against the roof of the hitch, which is fighting against gravity, especially when your accessory is fully loaded. And I can tell you from experience it's much easier to tighten a bolt that goes in from the side (without the force of gravity pushing against you) than from underneath. Plus you don't have to get dirty. ;)

So why does a second hole for the J-pin compromise strength more than a second hole for a bolt? Is it because they're on different walls?

vt_maverick
02/03/2012, 07:34 AM
P.S. If it's a big headache I can just drill the second hole after I buy it. I guess the important thing is to make sure the first hole is placed as to leave enough room for the second hole to be drilled.

VX KAT
02/03/2012, 09:07 AM
BTW, Welder Guy has already located the hole for the pin 1/2 inch farther outboard for youse people who really can't stand the idea of me getting any sleep so put on stoopid fiberglass bling stuff that gets in the way of using the hitch for what it's intended for.:)

:slap:.....guess that would be Mav and I..... :wave:

stoopid is as stoopid does....hehe

VX KAT
02/03/2012, 09:13 AM
mine had 28mm from the back of the hole to the collar....so if WelderGuy moved it more aft 1/2" for use goofballs....that probably means it would be really really tight to get another hole and still have some metal integrity....???

tom4bren
02/03/2012, 09:19 AM
So why does a second hole for the J-pin compromise strength more than a second hole for a bolt? Is it because they're on different walls?

It's more of an issue with the second hole being in line with the primary (pin) hole in the direction of the most significant force (draw weight). As long as there is at least 2x the wall thickness of the tube between the two holes, it should be fine.

P.S. If it's a big headache I can just drill the second hole after I buy it.

You're taking me entirely too seriously ... but what's next, duzzit hafta be powder coated an exact match to foxfire???

stoopid is as stoopid does....hehe

I have no response to that.

tom4bren
02/11/2012, 08:44 AM
WooHoo!!!

Cladding now fits over the hitch. Need to drop it off to Welder Guy this week to finish her up (full welds, clean up, & paint).

Will keep you posted & add some pix next week (middle of week - gotsa run to Vermont on Monday for work).

No J pin hole yet, but we'll add that.

Prolly gonna mount the safety chain loops tucked under - harder to get to but cleaner look ... hope that's OK with everyone.

I'll try to get him to extend the mounting brackets down so that you can add a shakle on both sides if you wish. Feedback on hole for shakle???

a745035
02/11/2012, 09:42 AM
Woohoo! Can't wait. If you're talking about a shackle (like d-link?) on each extreme end of the bracket for recovery, I personally think it's a GREAT idea... adds versatility, and you could always remove the shackle/link if you want. Thanks for the update Tom!

VXorado
02/11/2012, 02:23 PM
Tom, are you talking about adding clevis shackle mounts like the ones pictured below?

http://www.comp4x4.com/Images/Competition-4x4/weld%20on%20clevis%2001.jpg

tom4bren
02/14/2012, 11:17 AM
Yah, dat's what I'm talkin 'bout.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20710/ppuser/3558/sl/v

The mount for the clevis shackle is actually part of the bracket for the rear bumper under the cladding. 80% of that bumper is going away (including that mount). I'm not sure if there is any benefit on adding it to the drivers side since the tail pipe will be in the way for using it but I'm sure some would like the one on the passenger side.

VXorado
02/15/2012, 12:07 PM
Yah, dat's what I'm talkin 'bout.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20710/ppuser/3558/sl/v

The mount for the clevis shackle is actually part of the bracket for the rear bumper under the cladding. 80% of that bumper is going away (including that mount). I'm not sure if there is any benefit on adding it to the drivers side since the tail pipe will be in the way for using it but I'm sure some would like the one on the passenger side.

Sounds good to me and I think the single passenger side mount would be best.

tom4bren
02/16/2012, 11:16 AM
As promised, here are a few pix of the hitch before it goes back to Welder Guy tomorrow.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_11061.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1107.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1108.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1109.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1110.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1111.JPG

VXorado
02/16/2012, 11:29 AM
:thumbup:

When you see welder guy tomorrow, can you please get a final price? I think i read $250 somewhere but wasn't sure if that still stands.

Also, not sure if he's ready for orders but you can let him know Jon in CO thinks his design looks REAL good. ;)

SouthJ1
03/09/2012, 11:45 AM
So whats going on with this build? Ill definatly be getting one of these when its complete

VX KAT
03/09/2012, 12:08 PM
So whats going on with this build? Ill definatly be getting one of these when its complete

slight t/j
Hey, did you ever install your lambo doors?...been over a year, don't see any posts or pics....

tom4bren
03/15/2012, 04:06 AM
Got a call from Welder Guy last night. He has 2 hitches tack welded together for me to fit check before he does full weld/finish/paint. Hope to pick them up tomorrow. If they both work out, he'll be able to put together a jig to start cranking them out. Will keep you posted.

Tom

jmayer40
03/15/2012, 05:29 AM
Silly question, what is going the pull weight on it? what size is the square tubing 1/8 or 1/4?

tom4bren
03/15/2012, 06:56 AM
Silly question, what is going the pull weight on it? what size is the square tubing 1/8 or 1/4?

Go back to posts # 70 & 75 of this thread for info on that (1 1/2" tubing with 1/4" wall thickness).

Draw weight was never an issue with the original hitch & the redesign will be even stronger. The weakness was in tongue weight capacity. By my seat-o-de pants weight capacity-o-meter, we'll have at least twice the load bearing capacity with this hitch.

The real magic is that the entire hitch is hidden behind the cladding except for the receiver tube so you're VX won't look like it's wearing a fully loaded diaper (Ref: the Kurt hitch design that hangs below the cladding).

tom4bren
03/20/2012, 10:18 AM
I spent a couple of hours at Welder Guy's shop yesterday. Other than the loss of most of a knuckle to a grinder (his, not mine) things went well.

He had made a couple of manufacturability changes to the design & it still fits behind the cladding. He'll be finishing up the first 2 copies this week so that I can do the install on vt_mav's this coming Sunday. We'll take lotsa pix so that I can re-write the installation instructions for it.

We are going to start out with the price set at $260 (plus shipping) until he cranks out a few & then revisit to make sure that Ron isn't operating at a loss.

We've decided that we are not going to include the clevis mount in the basic design but include it as an option. That option will probably cost $30 but I'll wait to lock that in until we fab up a couple.

I'm going to keep this thread for technical issues and start a new thread for queue'ing purchases.

Next update will be 26 Mar after we get the first installed.

Tom

vt_maverick
03/20/2012, 12:09 PM
Still time for me to get you the measurements on those two pin holes before he finishes?

tom4bren
03/20/2012, 01:43 PM
Yup.

The second hole may end up being beneficial to have in the basic design anyway.

You know how certain people have to add those bling things to their tail that just ends up getting in the way of the functional components.

VX KAT
03/20/2012, 01:55 PM
Yup.

The second hole may end up being beneficial to have in the basic design anyway.

You know how certain people have to add those bling things to their tail that just ends up getting in the way of the functional components.
:confused: whatever are you referring to? :_thinking

vt_maverick
03/20/2012, 07:47 PM
I think he's mocking my Hokie Bird hitch cover. :)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3282/medium/IMG00278-20110419-1108.jpg

VX KAT
03/20/2012, 11:30 PM
I think he's mocking my Hokie Bird hitch cover. :)

I was jokin' mav....T4B knew when I ordered the WelderGuy hitch this was what I wanted it for.......although I ended up switching to the superbumper....so my purdy purple paw hitch cover is just a sittin' on a shelf....:goof:...
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_3144.jpg

tom4bren
03/21/2012, 06:25 AM
Yer both right ... & yer both wrong.

My feeble attempt at humor was directed at both Y'all but I was thinking about the skid plates that interfered with the hitch pin.

VX KAT
03/21/2012, 08:18 AM
Yer both right ... & yer both wrong.

My feeble attempt at humor was directed at both Y'all but I was thinking about the skid plates that interfered with the hitch pin.

ohhhh, now I get it......um....ouch..:goof:..;)

tom4bren
03/21/2012, 09:28 AM
ohhhh, now I get it......um....ouch..:goof:..;)

Nah - yer good. My failure at the art of humor is a long standing family joke.

Although sometimes I do have my moments. I have my youngest brother saying "I have no response to that" almost as much as I do.

Y33TREKker
03/21/2012, 10:42 AM
Speaking of humor sometimes lost In translation...

Today's word is................. Fluctuations

I was at my bank today; there was a short line.

There was just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

It was obvious she was a little irritated . . . She asked the teller, "Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?"

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, "Fluctuations."

The Asian lady says, "Fluc you white people too"

http://smiliesftw.com/x/rimshot.gif (http://smiliesftw.com) <--- rimshot

-----------------

Speaking of hitches though, I had occasion to put the hitch that was on my VX when I bought it back on last weekend for towing a U-Haul 6'x12' enclosed trailer about 250 miles. It has a tubular crossbeam with uprights that bolt to the underside of the framerails. I can't remember what specific kind it was when I was buying the VX (Tone?, Dylan? Curt?), so does that configuration ring any bells? Relatively easy on and easy off, as it's already back in the corner once again collecting dust. Handy when needed though. And the special two-taillight wiring harness was relatively easy to install also. It was a Hopkins Towing #46155 harness with adapting circuit that has a new home in the drivers side storage compartment.

circmand
03/21/2012, 11:11 AM
Speaking of humor sometimes lost In translation...

Today's word is................. Fluctuations

I was at my bank today; there was a short line.

There was just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

It was obvious she was a little irritated . . . She asked the teller, "Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?"

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, "Fluctuations."

The Asian lady says, "Fluc you white people too"

http://smiliesftw.com/x/rimshot.gif (http://smiliesftw.com) <--- rimshot

-----------------

Speaking of hitches though, I had occasion to put the hitch that was on my VX when I bought it back on last weekend for towing a U-Haul 6'x12' enclosed trailer about 250 miles. It has a tubular crossbeam with uprights that bolt to the underside of the framerails. I can't remember what specific kind it was when I was buying the VX (Tone?, Dylan? Curt?), so does that configuration ring any bells? Relatively easy on and easy off, as it's already back in the corner once again collecting dust. Handy when needed though. And the special two-taillight wiring harness was relatively easy to install also. It was a Hopkins Towing #46155 harness with adapting circuit that has a new home in the drivers side storage compartment.

Curt has square beams

tom4bren
03/24/2012, 05:47 AM
I'm supposed to pick up first 2 hitches tonight & install vt_mav's tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

vt_maverick
03/24/2012, 08:11 AM
And I'll be dropping off the nerf bar brackets with Tom...

VXorado
03/24/2012, 07:43 PM
If guys get a chance, take some pics after they're installed.

tom4bren
03/25/2012, 11:17 AM
Lotsa pix since we have to write up the install instructions (significantly different from Tone's).

Looks like install will be postponed to next weekend though.

Tom

Rampage108
03/29/2012, 07:53 AM
Keep me on the list.Im highly interested in the tow hitch and brackets for the westin bull bar

tom4bren
03/29/2012, 08:30 AM
OK

Vendetta has some tweeks for me to add before we make any more brackets for the Westin.

tom4bren
04/02/2012, 08:14 AM
We got the upgraded hitch installed on VT-Mav's last night.

More pix to follow in the How 2

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1175.JPG

There are always a few left over pieces after one of my installs:)

tom4bren
04/02/2012, 12:06 PM
Here's first cut at installation instructions. Comments/suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the sideways pdf. I'm adobe challenged at the moment.

Cobrajet
04/02/2012, 12:38 PM
Where's the hitch? I can't see it!!! :mad:

Oh, yeah, that's the whole point! You can't really see it unless you're looking. NICE!!! :bwgy:

VXorado
04/02/2012, 04:50 PM
Looks good with a fairly easy install.

Does welder guy have a price for these? I'd like to get one installed before Moab if possible.

tom4bren
04/03/2012, 04:17 AM
Looks like the price is going to come in around $300. He was trying to keep it down in the $250 range but the build is much more labor intensive than he planned.

I'll get him to lock in the price the week after next (I'm O3 all of next week).

I just did a quick online search for Curt hitches. It looks like Curt MSRP is $393 but I was able to find list prices in the $200 range (not sure if they are actually available at that price though).

I'll keep you posted.

tom4bren
04/03/2012, 07:38 AM
Looks good with a fairly easy install.

Does welder guy have a price for these? I'd like to get one installed before Moab if possible.

It took us about 4 hours but that included stopping to take pix & a dinner break.

Waitaminit - you gots a body lift. You can't use the hidden hitch anyways. We're going to have to go custom for yours ... unless you want me to send you mine & see if you can mount it as is & just cut your cladding all the way across to give the clearance you need.

VXorado
04/03/2012, 11:34 AM
It took us about 4 hours but that included stopping to take pix & a dinner break.

Waitaminit - you gots a body lift. You can't use the hidden hitch anyways. We're going to have to go custom for yours ... unless you want me to send you mine & see if you can mount it as is & just cut your cladding all the way across to give the clearance you need.

The hidden hitch should work on my VX as long as the bolts all attach to the frame and not the body. Installation should be super easy since the cladding is already cut and metal bumper removed.

The hitch will sit below my VX's frame and will help protect my gas tank (which I am lifting). I like the design because it sits much higher than the curt hitches. Additionally, I plan on making a covering plate on the exposed frame to make everything look finished.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/106_2153.JPG

circmand
04/03/2012, 12:36 PM
Looks like the price is going to come in around $300. He was trying to keep it down in the $250 range but the build is much more labor intensive than he planned.

I'll get him to lock in the price the week after next (I'm O3 all of next week).

I just did a quick online search for Curt hitches. It looks like Curt MSRP is $393 but I was able to find list prices in the $200 range (not sure if they are actually available at that price though).

I'll keep you posted.

I got my Curt hitch for $168 and free shipping. Hitch Depot has them under $200 of course these look better
http://www.hitchdepotusa.com/index.cfm/event/hitch/

tom4bren
04/03/2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/106_2153.JPG

ROFL - & people say MINE looks like a Tonka

Yah, yer right. This hitch will bolt right up. Prolly won't even need to trim the cladding.

VXorado
04/03/2012, 03:41 PM
ROFL - & people say MINE looks like a Tonka

Well YEAH... yours is yellow
:bwgy:

a745035
05/18/2012, 07:22 AM
Been a little while. Any updates to share on this project? Still psyched and on the list for this purchase. - Thanks.

luckyluciano1
05/20/2012, 09:24 PM
Hi Tom,

Everthing looks great so far. I would rather spend a little extra on your than get the Curt low hagar. Please let me know us know when/how we get one.

On another note, can anyone point me toward the best place place to get a new window regualtor?

Thanks!

VX KAT
05/20/2012, 10:47 PM
Hi Tom,

On another note, can anyone point me toward the best place place to get a new window regualtor?

Thanks!

I have a brand new one from Isuzu for the passenger side..$75....which side do you need?

You can get them from our Isuzu parts contact guy "Merlin". He works at a former Isuzu dealership (St. Charles Isuzu) in Missouri and has been great at getting us parts, and has a ton of info on parts as well.

spaceCADETzoom
05/30/2012, 02:13 AM
What ever happend to this upgraded hitch? Looking at my stored messages, I sent a PM almost an exact year ago...5-25-11. Am I still on the list of those interested? Take my money!

tom4bren
05/30/2012, 04:29 AM
Sorry for the delay.

I'm almost ready to start taking orders.

Price will be $300 plus shipping. The design ended up being very labor intensive for Welder Guy. I'll try to get my hitch back to him on Friday to use as a template for the first run.

I'll start a new thread for taking orders.

Tom

a745035
08/07/2012, 03:32 PM
I'm still in line for one... is this project still breathing?

tom4bren
08/08/2012, 06:47 AM
Yah, still alive.

Unfortunate for us ... fortunate for him ... Welder Guy has a day job again which limits his time for our work. He also got slammed with projects fixing storm damaged boats & schtuff (many of which are the owners livelihood) so ...

I'll give him a call tonight to see if he can project when the first few will be available.

boelt63A
10/10/2012, 11:04 AM
Any of these ever make it out of the Shop??
I am interested in getting a hitch for mine as well.
New to the VX but really want a tow hitch on it!

JAMAS
10/10/2012, 11:39 AM
Throw your name on the "list" in the thread linked below:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22642

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 09:52 AM
What are you people towing with your VX's??

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4740.JPG

Is what I see here part of the stock rear bumper? I'm referring to the four radiused tubes that are welded into the horizontal bumper. :confused:

VX KAT
10/11/2012, 10:06 AM
Is what I see here part of the stock rear bumper? I'm referring to the four radiused tubes that are welded into the horizontal bumper. :confused:

yup, all stock for US spec, the JDMs have slightly different configuration, think they don't have one of the horizontal pieces.

JAMAS
10/11/2012, 10:42 AM

www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18543

vt_maverick
10/11/2012, 10:43 AM

Search and you'll find lots of stuff: moving trailers, jet skis, small boats, whatever you call that thing Ldub built (;)), etc. I don't tow with mine but use it for my hitch mounted cargo box.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3265/IMG00002-20100525-0732.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3265/IMG00001-20100525-0731.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3265/IMG00007-20100525-0734.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3282/M1040003.JPG

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 10:51 AM
OK, I'm impressed!! :yeso::yeso::yeso::yeso:

tom4bren
10/11/2012, 11:01 AM

Post 140 of this thread has the installation instructions. That'll prolly answer your question better than anything.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=254462&postcount=140

tom4bren
10/11/2012, 11:03 AM

Utility trailer full of storm debris

SeaDoo boat

SeaDoo PWC twin pack

& it makes an excellent stump puller

Peruse my gallery at your leasure to see the evidence.

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 11:08 AM
The more I look at these pics of bumpers, especially the one I saw with the front bumper rotted away, I'm thinking these bumpers really are to protect the clad. That rotted bumper must have been very thin-wall tube to rot like that. Hardly an adequate protection for a crash. I suspect it is there for light impact protection of the clad and the radiator. The clad will deform and possibly return to its original shape and thats what the tube bumper allows. In the rear of the VX all the pics I see show a sturdy structure where the bumper has been removed that would provide protection for the gas tank in my opinion.
http://i48.tinypic.com/21jru45.jpg

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 11:20 AM
Here's first cut at installation instructions. Comments/suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the sideways pdf. I'm adobe challenged at the moment.

Thanks Tom! Very, very, informative. Nicely done!

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 11:23 AM
[QUOTEOoopsy. Ya posted to the wrong thread there son.[/QUOTE]

Yep, continually confused. Not sure how to move it.

circmand
10/11/2012, 12:43 PM
Yah, but if you move it then MY post will look really schtoopid.

Moving it. Thats what would make it look schtoopid!!

Just Kidding

tom4bren
10/11/2012, 01:50 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about

:slap:

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 02:23 PM
Me too, I forgot the original subject, lol.