PDA

View Full Version : Dirt3 (X360 PS3, PC) and Kane Creek Canyon, Moab

spaceCADETzoom
05/24/2011, 06:54 PM
Hey, anyone pick up Dirt3? I just got it on xbox360. Dirt2 was awesome, and so far I'm unsure if I totally like all the changes. Conflicted--it's dropped a lot of the "EXXXTREEEEME" mountain dew type stuff, but I'm not sure if I like it. It added back a lot more rally, which is always cool. BUt it looks like it has a lot less baja-type truck racing. It adds ghymkhana.

...my real question is if it still has Kane Creek Canyon. Dirt2 had it, and it was one of my favorite stages...And I just learned first hand last week that the videogame does not properly show the ridiculously large rocks part. :) ...which got me thinking, a rock crawling game would probably be lame. Like a drag racing game. Two things that just don't work sitting on a couch.

Anyway, any Colin Mcrae or Dirt fans out there?

pbkid
05/24/2011, 07:06 PM
Hey, anyone pick up Dirt3? I just got it on xbox360. Dirt2 was awesome, and so far I'm unsure if I totally like all the changes. Conflicted--it's dropped a lot of the "EXXXTREEEEME" mountain dew type stuff, but I'm not sure if I like it. It added back a lot more rally, which is always cool. BUt it looks like it has a lot less baja-type truck racing. It adds ghymkhana.

...my real question is if it still has Kane Creek Canyon. Dirt2 had it, and it was one of my favorite stages...And I just learned first hand last week that the videogame does not properly show the ridiculously large rocks part. :) ...which got me thinking, a rock crawling game would probably be lame. Like a drag racing game. Two things that just don't work sitting on a couch.

Anyway, any Colin Mcrae or Dirt fans out there?

Hey Erwin, send me your xbox account name, I was going to buy Dirt3 today :)

spaceCADETzoom
05/24/2011, 08:16 PM
My xbox sn is the same on the forums. spacecadetzoom.

Not a Star Trek fan, BTW. A long time ago I was keen on "spacecadet" being my forums name (because at the time I was still in college and doing my Nedermeyer from Animal House thing in ROTC), but it was always taken already, so I added zoom, a la spacemanspiff. So spacecadetzoom tends to by my name whenever I sign up for anything online...there's been gun forums, several car forums, etc. And there's the explanation no one asked about.

Etfren
05/24/2011, 10:50 PM
Haven't picked it up yet but I probably will soon. I really liked the first one, espeically the different truck classes. From what I've seen it looks like its going to be more similar to the second one, but I like the Ghymkana idea.

WormGod
05/25/2011, 07:18 AM
I think by adding the "Ken Block Factor" to the 2nd one, it started going in the wrong direction. It got too.... showy, or XGames mainstream, heh (no thanks to the way the US likes to try to take every sport known, twist it in a knot, and call it theirs). Gymkhana for one, looks cool on video, but seriously, not in a game.

I just want rallyX. No more, no less. I would say throw in some autoX, but we have Forza. ;)

Think I am passing this one up. Gonna stick to LA Noire for now.

Just my no-pinion. :)

spaceCADETzoom
05/25/2011, 07:55 AM
Thats the thing, I thought I would welcome a diminished "ken block factor", and they certainly went that direction. But as dirt3 stands, it feels a little to ...sanitized...and I find it very odd I'm actually missing the xgames showiness. Despite my eye rolls in dirt2, going into dirt 3 I found that dirt2 really did get you excited as a game player. And the career mode felt more visceral. In dirt3, its all (almost)static text menus, and team sponsorship is per race, so you have no feeling of careerrogression. In dirt2, there was a feeling of going from race to race in a trailer, and having fans and spectators evetywhere. And yes, even the obnoxious soundtrack and freaking pyrotechnics crossing the finish line felt more lively. Just the opening menu alone, I really miss from dirt 2. Im a big forza 3 s gran turismo guy....but dirt3 feels hollow in comparison to both the "clean" sims and the "extreme" dirt2. Either way, the driving engine is still spot on, imho. It feels like drving on dirt. The pacakaging, it surprises me to say, feels off. Like I asked for it, but it turns out I actuallyliked the xgames approach. It really makes me appreciate that dirt2 WASN'T tony hawk, despite initial impressions...

Im more straight point to point rally than rallycross myself. And dirt 3 delivers there, at least. Again, a story of conflict: youd think the rallyx is more xgames and the straight rally more colin mcrae. I dont know what i want! Its like i asked them to tone it down, but am unhappy with the result.

stilla cool game. and man, dont remind me of la noire....my backlog is infinite. Playing a handful concurrently ( la noire among them). its wierd, its like homework i feel like i havent enough time

WormGod
05/26/2011, 06:49 AM
Looks like I'll be playing anyways. My g/f bought it for me yesterday, heh. She had never heard of rallyX before being with me and she thinks it's "sexy". No complaints there. ;)

I'll probably give it a whirl this weekend (billions of cookouts allowing) and give my legit $.02.

Etfren
06/10/2011, 03:49 PM
Got it earlier this week. Really dissapointed with the soundtrack compared to Dirt2, but the driving feels a little better. I agree that it does seems a little boring not having fireworks going off all the time, but what really annoys me the most is your managers and pit crew or whoever they are babling on after every race and when you get back to the menus and you can't skip them or shut them up. The Ghymkana is just as fun as I was hoping it would be and I keep moving through the career as fast as possible to keep unlocking new areas of the open playgorund.