PDA

View Full Version : VX just died on interstate... ideas?

technocoy
06/02/2011, 07:19 AM
So, I got a small contract job, and of course on my second day my otherwise perfect VX decides to go crazy. So I'm on the way to work, interstate, and doing about 75-80. All of a sudden it's like the transmission isn't in gear... Like it just starts to coast down, I can give it gas and it doesn't seem to be in neutral, but it's also not pulling at all. I put my hazards on get to the emergency lane and shift her into park. Immediately dies completely.

I sat there for a second, started her up and put her in gear. Drove normal the rest of the trip. I don't understand it at all, but of course I'm uber paranoid now.

It was nothing like the EGR issue we often experience (and I already fixed) the VX didn't completely die until I came to a stop. It feels like an electrical issue with the tranny, but I have no idea where to start since this is my only automatic ever and I've never had to work on the tranny. Ha!

Any ideas from the group? Thanks in advance guys.

- David

samneil2000
06/02/2011, 08:57 AM
My first guess would be fuel pressure regulator. Mine would randomly die and hasn't since replacing the FPR.

technocoy
06/02/2011, 09:46 AM
We've been having an insane heatwave. I wonder if that could be the cause if it's the fuel pressure regulator.

Triathlete
06/02/2011, 09:51 AM
Mine used to do that a while back...turn out i didnt seat the fuel cap properly and had vapor lock. Worth a try before spending any money. When I loosened the cap I heard a pssss sound.

WillyLin
06/02/2011, 10:52 AM
fuel pump maybe? should be some thing about the fuel

Y33TREKker
06/02/2011, 11:17 AM
Given how you say things happened, I'd also suspect the problem to be fuel related, and everyone else who's responded have already covered the suggestions I'd have made.

Just curious, what was the ambient temp at the time?

etlsport
06/02/2011, 05:05 PM
exactly what happened to mine about a year after i bought it. i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and never had a problem again

technocoy
06/02/2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... It was about 90 degrees already when it happened.

Strangely it was fine the rest of the way to work and on the way home in even hotter weather.

It sucks because Im pretty broke so it's hard to go replacing fuel line parts without really knowing... It was just a really crap experience having it happen in traffic at 80mph in a five lane situation. Hahaha.

I hope it happens again in less compromising circumstances so I can pay better attention. I was just trying to get across five lanes safely while attempting to listen to what was happening.

It does seem like fuel though since anything transmission related probably wouldn't make it shut off completely once I'm at a standstill.

Anyway, I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm gonna stay in the right lane this time. Haha.

Cheers, and thanks for all the info and advice everyone.

- David

Exclamation
06/02/2011, 10:00 PM
Almost the same thing happened to me when I first bought my Vcross back in december. I was in the far left lane on a 5 lane highway leaving atlanta GA. 20 miles away from the dealership I bought it from all the sudden no power at all like it was in neutral and had to coast across all 5 lanes and coast into a cracker barrel parking lot. Turns out my 3rd and 4th gears were completely burnt down to nothing because all of my tranny fluid had poured out because the mechanic forgot to hook the lines back up.

samneil2000
06/03/2011, 06:28 AM
Here's a decent price on a FPR from ebay: CLICKY (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WELLS-PR123-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aIsuzuQ7cModelQ3aVeh iCROSSQQhashZitem5ae0201b74QQitemZ390307257204QQpt ZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)
Less than 50 bucks.

Thanks for the advice guys... It was about 90 degrees already when it happened.

Strangely it was fine the rest of the way to work and on the way home in even hotter weather.

It sucks because Im pretty broke so it's hard to go replacing fuel line parts without really knowing... It was just a really crap experience having it happen in traffic at 80mph in a five lane situation. Hahaha.

I hope it happens again in less compromising circumstances so I can pay better attention. I was just trying to get across five lanes safely while attempting to listen to what was happening.

It does seem like fuel though since anything transmission related probably wouldn't make it shut off completely once I'm at a standstill.

Anyway, I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm gonna stay in the right lane this time. Haha.

Cheers, and thanks for all the info and advice everyone.

- David

MSHardeman
06/03/2011, 07:56 AM
Both the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are relatively inexpensive and are EASY to replace yourself. The fuel filter is located on the inside of the frame rail just behind the passenger door. It may take a little persuading to get the lines off of it, but still shouldn't be a problem. There is a write-up by former member "Dino" on how to replace the FPR: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12021
I have the cut down allen key that his instructions call for that I would be happy to send you if you would like.

Y33TREKker
06/03/2011, 08:10 AM
Almost the same thing happened to me when I first bought my Vcross back in december. I was in the far left lane on a 5 lane highway leaving atlanta GA. 20 miles away from the dealership I bought it from all the sudden no power at all like it was in neutral and had to coast across all 5 lanes and coast into a cracker barrel parking lot. Turns out my 3rd and 4th gears were completely burnt down to nothing because all of my tranny fluid had poured out because the mechanic forgot to hook the lines back up.
Holy crap!! If that had happened to me, I'm not so sure that the VX.info User ID I'd have come up with wouldn't have been Expletive! :bgwo:

technocoy
06/03/2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys.

As long as it's not the fuel pump. I guess I could do the regulator and filter just as preventative and see how it goes. I mean, it's at 85,000 so I imagine some of these little bits will start to come up now.

Thanks for all the help.

MSHardeman, I'll definitely let you know if I go to do this. Thanks a ton for the offer.

samneil, thanks for the link. I may just go ahead and grab this.

dahootch
06/04/2011, 09:54 PM
I replaced the FPR today using Dino's awesome instructions. I cut the allen wrench too short, but used a stub with a 1/4" wrench and a deep-well socket as a pry bar. When I got the old FPR out, I noticed it's screen had some residue in it. Also noticed the FPR vacuum hose was cracked at the FPR and at the manifold connection. Bought the FPR from Advance Auto Parts for $41.99 and it included a new snap-ring, which I am glad since I hate reusing snap-rings.

blacksambo
06/05/2011, 09:02 PM
Water in the gas???