PDA

View Full Version : clunk/tap feeling under my feet.

crager34
06/03/2011, 10:18 AM
This isn't a clicking you might hear from your CV joints when turning. While driving, 25 - 60 mph, I have right under might left foot, towards the left side of the driver floor board, a pretty consistant clunk/tapping from underneath. I look underthere, move things, hit em... nothing seems loose. I am thinking it's something internal, but not sure. I will be getting it checked out soon, but wanted to throw this out to see if anyone may have felt the same thing.

Gizmo42
06/03/2011, 10:37 AM
Used to get something similar to that on my rodeo when I turned. Ended up being the body mount bushings had sagged. After shimming them it went away. Dont know if the same thing would happen on a VX.

Luna X
06/03/2011, 10:41 AM
how 'bout a rock in the tread of lt frt tire?.......;)

crager34
06/03/2011, 10:51 AM
how 'bout a rock in the tread of lt frt tire?.......;)

I think of that everytime, but then I look and nothing is there. lol

SilverBullet75
06/03/2011, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you once hit a pair of rabbits while they were mating... It's just their ghosts, attached to the scene of the crime.
:eek:

IndianaVX
06/03/2011, 06:20 PM
I get a tap like that every now and then. Mine is like someone has a hammer and hits the floorboard from underneath. Not hard, just enough to let me know. It's not a constant thing. The first couple of times, I investigated, and found nothing either. So I quit looking.

johnnyapollo
06/04/2011, 03:44 AM
Check the tranny mounts at the cross member - the bolts in mine backed out and the tranny was shifting left-right until they were replaced. It's hard to see that they're missing...note that this same problem has happened on other VXs...

-- John

VXR
06/04/2011, 11:12 AM
Check the tranny mounts at the cross member - the bolts in mine backed out and the tranny was shifting left-right until they were replaced. It's hard to see that they're missing...note that this same problem has happened on other VXs...

-- John

I was going to say the same thing but when mine were loose I could only hear/feel at very slow speed not 25-60...

Ldub
06/04/2011, 08:30 PM
Do any of you with the phantom noise have Trooper skid plates installed?

If so, check the right front where the front prop shaft intersects the front edge.
This plate is very poorly designed & crushes easily, allowing contact with the cap screw heads.

Just a long shot...:yesgray:

LittleBeast
06/04/2011, 09:29 PM
I would check sway bar connections as well. At the a arms and on the frame mounts.

samneil2000
06/07/2011, 11:32 AM
What about the "loose rear end" that Ldub had? Did that cause any popping when it shifted through its range of motion?

TOKKA
06/07/2011, 02:41 PM
I find myself wondering how many miles you have and if the clunk/tap increases or is more prevalent as you press on the accelerator... hmmm, and with that in mind I wonder if your timing belt might be slipping as it approaches a breaking point. I'm just wondering.

crager34
06/07/2011, 05:40 PM
I find myself wondering how many miles you have and if the clunk/tap increases or is more prevalent as you press on the accelerator... hmmm, and with that in mind I wonder if your timing belt might be slipping as it approaches a breaking point. I'm just wondering.

Almost 168k and it does not become more prevalent. Had tires rotated, transmission serviced and front end looked at again... no one can see anything and the clunking is still still there. Either it's nothing or my care will break. I'll find out one way or another.

LittleBeast
06/07/2011, 05:46 PM
That is exactly where one of the body mounts is located. There is a plastic plug on the inside just under the carpet and sound deadening foam stuff. Maybe the body mount is loose or maybe that plastic cap is severly damaged and blows in the wind. I can take a picture if you want. I still have my whole interior removed waiting on time to redo entire inside.

Ebenezr
06/07/2011, 06:50 PM
If it is any consolation I have exactly the same issue. Right under the drivers side floor boards. I haven't found where it comes from and have lived with it for 6 plus months. I think of it as a transmission line bumping the floor or a loose bracket some where. There is driveline clunk too but it is a seperate thing...this is different.

Ldub
06/08/2011, 06:51 AM
What about the "loose rear end" that Ldub had? Did that cause any popping when it shifted through its range of motion?

Nope, no noise, just squirrely handling...:_steering

TOKKA
06/16/2011, 11:29 PM
I'm wondering if this is contagious since my VX is now experiencing the same noise. I really hope it's a transmission mount bolt that I haven't found because I swear it sounds/feels like a slipping transmission. I also notice a barely perceptible drop (about 100) in RPMs that coincide with the clunk/tap/pop.

crager34
06/17/2011, 07:49 AM
I'm wondering if this is contagious since my VX is now experiencing the same noise. I really hope it's a transmission mount bolt that I haven't found because I swear it sounds/feels like a slipping transmission. I also notice a barely perceptible drop (about 100) in RPMs that coincide with the clunk/tap/pop.

I went to install an aftermarket grill insert and found the rest of my tube bumber, behind the cladding rusted and moving around. I thought that might have been it, but it wasn't. However, it did take care of another noise I had when I turned and hit a little bump or something... I had a little thud.

So.... the tapping under feet still continues. I have had the front end gone over by Firestone and they can't find anything. Valvoline oil change guys looked too.... couldn't see anything. So.... for now and until something breaks, it is what it is. :_shrug:

wekilled
07/10/2011, 04:20 PM
I have the same noise now, especially when going over a bump--right under the drivers feet area. Was thinking it might be a bad shock or arm but I put mine up on the ramps and can't find anything loose or broken. Anyone have a pic where they can circle the possible loose tranny bolts I can't seem to find on the crossmember? (duh) Maybe a few arrows on areas to check...

VXorado
07/10/2011, 06:49 PM
Heres a thread with tranny bolt pics, I need to check mine too.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674&highlight=transmission+bolt

MSHardeman
07/11/2011, 08:52 AM
I don't know what the noise is, but be sure to check everywhere as noises and vibrations can really travel through our little car. When my drivers side inner CV race was going bad all of the vibrations and grinding that I heard/felt, seemed like they were coming from right under my feet. Because of that I thought it might have been transmission/transfer case related, but it ended up that the vibrations where traveling from the solid mounted center section of the front axle, through the frame, and I was feeling it right under my feet.

wekilled
07/11/2011, 10:39 AM
Much appreciated. I hate having a problem that outsmarts me. I have put it up on the ramps twice and it is driving me crazy.