PDA

View Full Version : Rotors and pads

ND92
06/13/2011, 07:44 PM
hey everyone,

The back break pad on my left front rotor some how sheered off at some point while i was driving last week. Thinking it was a rock that would clear itself out (stupid me), i drove for 2 days until the rain stopped and i could take a look at it. Well now i have 2 nice pieces of melted metal art. I checked out past posts on different rotors and break pads, and i was wondering what everyone thinks are the better rotors and pad combos out there. And if i can get them in canada
your help is much appreciated.

thanks; stefan

tom4bren
06/14/2011, 05:21 AM
Here's some good reading for you:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20016&highlight=slotted+rotors

Use the search function on "slotted rotors" & you'll find hours of pure reading fun on the topic.

Ldub
06/14/2011, 05:46 AM
Though rather pricey, I prefer Isuzu OEM pads, though I'm guessing most ceramic pads would do as well.

I got my cross drilled rotors from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gforcebrakes.com%2F&ei=Flf3TZayN4ndgQf9r8iTDA&usg=AFQjCNGGPEmEMZQURUiuxRr_KNpM9FXKeg&sig2=lguUU-CNtThyvwVb6sFIeg in their ebay store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VehiCROSS-1999-Drill-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-F-R-/150612943515?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23113b229b

Made in Canada, eh...:yesgray:

nocturnalVX
06/14/2011, 08:48 AM
R1 Concepts drilled & slotted rotors with OEM pads.

I used the search function here and Google to research what to get. However, if you don't want to go through those steps and take my word for it... OEM pads are the way to go, but slotted rotors might wear pads down quicker. Pads that are drilled and/or slotted have some advantages (cooling, water clearing, etc.), but solid metal rotors have more surface for more stopping power.

mhill
06/14/2011, 09:15 AM
I was totally set on getting the drilled and slotted rotors and aftermarket pads. Until I called Merlin and talked to him. In his opinion the brakes on the VX are overkill for the little machine. They are more than adequate and he suggested keeping the stock rotors. If anything upgrade to the steel braided brake lines. I know there are a lot of people who have had success with other set ups on here so like everything else it comes down to what you think is better. As for pads I use OEM. Just because someone I trust once told me to, so I always do on all my vehicles. Good luck! This is the kind of stuff that makes the VX and the forum so much fun!

nocturnalVX
06/14/2011, 09:20 AM
I was totally set on getting the drilled and slotted rotors and aftermarket pads. Until I called Merlin and talked to him. In his opinion the brakes on the VX are overkill for the little machine. They are more than adequate and he suggested keeping the stock rotors.

But the drilled ones look so cool... :drool2:

mhill
06/14/2011, 09:40 AM

I know!! :drool2: but then I got those big ol wheels you cant see through anyways! :_shrug:

tom4bren
06/14/2011, 10:15 AM
I know!! :drool2: but then I got those big ol wheels you cant see through anyways! :_shrug:

X2

Triathlete
06/14/2011, 12:03 PM

They all look the same when covered in dirt and mud!:bwgy:

circmand
06/14/2011, 01:49 PM
They have worked great slotted keeps the heat down. But at the weight of our little VX I do not think you can overdo it when it comes to brakes. Of course there is nothing wrong with the OEM pads either just a little pricey

BeeVenom
06/15/2011, 05:28 PM
Hey STEFAN!
I used R1 Concepts rotors and EBC pads and the cost was so reasonable AND the quality was/is excellent! I'm so pleased with the results! BELOW is a previous POST i did a while back about them with part #'s and so on. My cost for parts was less than $700......Whoa!
Take Care and make your brakes the BEST!
Scott :happyfaceR1 Concepts for me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go with R1 Concepts! Great product. I posted about them back on 1/23/11 and I had my 'bee' out a couple of times lately since the weather is breaking around here in my part of MI. I got a great price and did other stuff like bearings, seals, while I was at it. I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with the results AND they were very affordable. I also used silver 'high heat' paint on the non-machined surfaces and used 'proton yello' on the calipers to match my
'bee' . Looks cool! Look for the 'deals' as they come up 'on-n-off' at R1.

Below is my orignal post:

New Rotor and Brake Pad Install - It's Great!

I just finally replaced my stock rotors with R1 Concepts Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors front (#EDS-43013) and rear (#EDS-43015). Since I typically lay up my VX during the winter months this was a great time to get this done. I used Hi-Temp 1200 degree paint on all the non-machined rotor areas and decided to use the EBC 'Ultimax' SUV performance pads too (#UD579-FRONT/#UD580-REAR). Went and replaced inner/outer bearings, races, and seals while I was at it and I could not be happier with this combination! The Bee stops unbelieveaby better! Total cost for parts, paint, etc. was less than $700.
It was the best procrastination I ever subjected myself to in recent history. I usually take 'forever' to make decisions on stuff like this. If you're considering brake upgrades for the VX, this is a great combo!

p_justin13
06/20/2011, 01:16 PM
Just installed the R1 rotors and the ceramic pads that came with this weekend. Wanted to see how well they worked once broken in and seated before spending 200 bucks on the oem pads. Changing rotors only took around 3.5 hrs thats with cleaning out and repacking the wheel bearings. As for the pads they were like glass when first installed. Went through the whole breaking process they recommend which led to some smoking *** rotors burning off that factory coating. Put almost 200 miles on through the weekend and just this morning feels as they are really seating. They seem to grab really really well now. I'm wondering if anyone really bothered to actually break in the pads that came with or just pitched them after trying them out for a day or two. Pretty happy only spending around 250 for the complete package on ebay. Can't beat that deal and they look really nice. Just need to get some rims to show them off now. lol

ND92
06/24/2011, 10:21 AM
thanks everyone for the great advice!!!!! very much appreciated
i looked at EBC, R1 and many others. I narrowed my search to EBC and R1.
Called the EBC distributor in Toronto (never any close to home) and it would have cost me $500 ;eeko; for front rotors and pads, it would also take a month just to get them to the distributors and another 3 weeks to get them to me (stupid postal strike)
so i went with front R1 slotted and drilled with posi quiet pads, all for $215 And i just received them today. ;Do;
i must say, for being break rotors..... those things look beautiful
now i must try to tackle install
thanks again everyone :dan_ban:

p_justin13
07/11/2011, 11:17 AM
If your wheel bearings are due for a change or atleast a repacking good time to do it. If not, I found out the hard way on the first that you dont have to completely disassemble. lol After front passenger drivers side took like 20 minutes rears were a breeze. Side note. if using the pads from R1 mine took atleast 200 miles to seat real well. Felt scary soft for the first couple days. Make sure to do the break in that they come with. At around 500 miles on them they stick like glue really happy with them.