PDA

View Full Version : Finally got myself a VX... and a half!

Etfren
06/22/2011, 10:05 PM
Well I finally found one that fit my budget and what I planned to do with it and bought it. I was going for a camping trip up in on the Olympic peninsula of WA and decided to hit up Allan (BigmeatVX) to see if he was still interested in selling his truck. Turns out he was and had a second one to go with it. Loaded up my friends Vehicross with my flatbed trailer, hauled it up there and picked it up before dropping my friends VX off in Seattle so it can make the journey over to Oahu where he is moving.

Did some camping for a few days, had to wheel through some snow that my buddies Rav4 was never going to make it through to ferry our gear into the campsite. Made the trek back home safely with lots of stares from people as we rolled through my small town with a big black Vehicross pulling half of a white one behind it. :smilewink

Here it is back home...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0223.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21106)

With its poor friend on the trailer waiting to be dissmantled.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0181.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21108)

The black one needs some work (back brakes are shot, wheels are peeling, etc.) but it runs good and the 5-speed swap is a blast to drive. I've already done some casual exploring with it on the trails near my house today and I am pretty happy with it and can't wait to start fixing it up and maybe making it to Moab next year!

As for the white one, I'm working on a sale thread now (photobucket is being a bit of a pain), but I need to get it stripped out ASAP and either haul the shell to the shredder or find someone who wants whats left of it now, or whats left when its gutted. Just need it off the trailer and unfortunately don't really have any place to put it.

ZEUS
06/22/2011, 10:23 PM
Congrats man! I'd love to have the white one if it were close to me. Good luck!

Grif
06/22/2011, 10:23 PM
You've inherited a wonderful legacy. The 5 speed swap and super IFS is legendary IMHO.

VX KAT
06/22/2011, 10:51 PM
PM sent :thumbup:

Riff Raff
06/23/2011, 02:48 AM

Damn Sue, you're quick-- already sniffin' out the Roof Rack from the salvage White VX. lol.

Etfren-- Congrat's on gettin' BigMeat's 5-speed VX. I know you've been searchin' a long time for just the right VX. You might want to keep the Roof Rack and transfer it over to your Ebony since you like to go campin' and such (it would come in handy for a roof basket to haul a full-size spare or for mounting a canoe/kayak, etc).

I see BigMeat kept his huge tires. If you decide to go to a 35" O.D. tire, then please consider the 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size available from Toyo (A/T & M/T), Maxxis (Bighorn M/T), Good/Year (M/T-R with Kevlar). The 285/75R18 would fit perfect on the OEM 18x7 rim (maybe get the OEM rims powder-coated).

Congrat's again, and we look forward to seeing you at the next PNW meet for VX'ers when the time comes.

:bgwb:

johnnyapollo
06/23/2011, 05:42 AM
If that Ironman is too shot - might make a cool matching trailer....

pnwdawg
06/23/2011, 09:43 AM
pm sent as well

JAMAS
06/23/2011, 09:46 AM

I really like that idea.

Etfren
06/23/2011, 10:39 AM
Congrats man! I'd love to have the white one if it were close to me. Good luck!

Thanks! Jo has already PM'd me about buying the white one actually.

I expected that, PM'd yah back.

Damn Sue, you're quick-- already sniffin' out the Roof Rack from the salvage White VX. lol.

Etfren-- Congrat's on gettin' BigMeat's 5-speed VX. I know you've been searchin' a long time for just the right VX. You might want to keep the Roof Rack and transfer it over to your Ebony since you like to go campin' and such (it would come in handy for a roof basket to haul a full-size spare or for mounting a canoe/kayak, etc).

I see BigMeat kept his huge tires. If you decide to go to a 35" O.D. tire, then please consider the 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size available from Toyo (A/T & M/T), Maxxis (Bighorn M/T), Good/Year (M/T-R with Kevlar). The 285/75R18 would fit perfect on the OEM 18x7 rim (maybe get the OEM rims powder-coated).

Congrat's again, and we look forward to seeing you at the next PNW meet for VX'ers when the time comes.

Thanks Riff, and also thanks for all the help with pointing out new VXs near me that were coming up for sale.

Yup, Allan kept the 35s for his H3. I'd like to but it back on 35's at somepoint, might go with different wheels, haven't decided on that yet. I do like those MTR Kevlars though, thats one of the options I've been considering.

Hmmm, I remember seeing a thread (on the planet I think) about someone doing that with a Trooper. Looked pretty cool.

pm sent as well

Will reply as soon as I get the pics up. Lots of people have been PM'ing me.

Scott Harness
06/23/2011, 01:38 PM
haul the shell to the shredder.

Don't do it...body panels are the rarest parts!!

Etfren
07/06/2011, 02:37 PM
Don't do it...body panels are the rarest parts!!

Not to worry Scott, took it into my friend's shop and got it cut up to be saved.

These are coming home with me.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/VXSides.jpg

This is all thats left that will be going to the scrapyard.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/VXFront.jpg

VX 1096 had a short life, only 58K miles, but will live on as I've already sold parts to a dozen other members for their rigs. :coolgray:

Riff Raff
07/06/2011, 02:49 PM
With all of the difficulty some people have been having lately of getting a replacement Windshield-- I wonder if the Windshield can be saved too???

Etfren
07/06/2011, 04:23 PM
I was hoping for that as well, but it got cracked at some point while the side panels were getting cut off, so its no good. :(