PDA

View Full Version : engine won't turn over

Luna X
07/05/2011, 02:35 PM
Has anyone had their ignition go bad on them?

As of now, when I turn the key all I hear is the pin disenaging from the starter, but the engine will not crank over.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?:_confused

btw... battery is ruled out. It's plenty strong

Y33TREKker
07/05/2011, 02:49 PM
I'd be more inclined to think it was a faulty starter/starter-solenoid. If you can actually hear something in your starter clicking, that means your starter relay (in the engine compartment fuse box) is working, so maybe the coil for your starter solenoid is bad?

Hiredgoon
07/05/2011, 03:01 PM
It's worth checking the leads to the battery--mine were pretty corroded and not making proper contact. There was enough contact to allow for things like the door remote and the light when I opened it, as well as a click from the starter, but not enough to draw the power necessary to start. After a quick scrape with a pocket knife it started up no problem, and I've had no issues since.

atilla_the_fun
07/05/2011, 03:57 PM
It's worth checking the leads to the battery--mine were pretty corroded and not making proper contact. There was enough contact to allow for things like the door remote and the light when I opened it, as well as a click from the starter, but not enough to draw the power necessary to start. After a quick scrape with a pocket knife it started up no problem, and I've had no issues since.

This exact same thing happened to me. The battery connectors had enough current/contact for accessories but not the ignition.

PK
07/05/2011, 08:23 PM
Read this - post 12 onwards.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17647&highlight=fire&page=2

PK

Triathlete
07/05/2011, 08:55 PM
I have noticed that the factory battery terminals are slightly on the large side and after removing them a few times the batteries lead terminals wear out enough to not make a solid contact.

Luna X
07/06/2011, 12:51 PM
I replaced the battery first, have checked/double checked the terminals/leads... all is ok there.

Maybe replace starter fuse in engine compartment? We all want it to be the most cost-effective, right?

Not really lookin' forward to removing starter to have it check out...doesn't look like there is much room around there.

after all, I'm a retired bodyman, not a mechanic...... me no likey that stuff

Bob Barker
07/06/2011, 04:42 PM
Instead of removing the starter, tap it gently with a hammer or handle of a screw driver, anything with a little weight on it, while someone tries to start it, if it starts then the starter is getting old and sticking. It's a freebee check. Give it a few raps and try to start at same time, if it doesn't work try a few more times with a few seconds between each cranking attempt and tapping.

Ldub
07/06/2011, 04:54 PM
I replaced the battery first, have checked/double checked the terminals/leads... all is ok there.

Maybe replace starter fuse in engine compartment? We all want it to be the most cost-effective, right?

Not really lookin' forward to removing starter to have it check out...doesn't look like there is much room around there.

after all, I'm a retired bodyman, not a mechanic...... me no likey that stuff

I hear ya cluck'n red rooster...:laughing:

Back in the day, before I picked up the evil :_wrench: again, I drove my 88 Toy PU for almost a year with a non functional starter.

However, I had two (or one, depending on the terrain of your usual range) advantages, a manual trans, & an almost unlimited supply of hills to park on.

After the evil :_wrench: was picked up again, I had it changed out in a matter of hours...WITHOUT having to jack up the engine.
But I did invent new swear words & theories to describe the parental lineage of the Toyota engineering team that stuffed the starter "way the F up there"...:upsetgray

:luck:

Luna X
07/06/2011, 06:36 PM
After reading some older post, it does seem possible that my little oil leak could be the culprit...oozing it's way to the contacts.

Hopefully I can get under there tomorrow and do some better investigating.

It's too bad that a little red light would just appear and point you to the problem...:winky: