PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ignition

Marlin
07/06/2011, 02:59 PM
I went to the post office today to ship some VX parts, when I parked, I bumped the curb. Put it in park, the key wouldn't come out! I had problems in the past with this, usually just moved the shifter and listen for the click. No go.

After tugging on the cable, I gave up. Came on here to look up the various threads. Not much out there.

I realized that I was now able to shift through the gears without engaging the brake. No more friendly (super annoying) click with every press of the brake pedal.

Finally took the console out and low and behold, I discovered the culprit. That little blue plastic wheel had busted. That is why I didn't need to the brake pedal to shift, and I couldn't get the key out. It was already in gear as far as the interlocks were concerned. One ziptie later, got the key out, never lookin back.
I ended up using the zip tie to hold the interlock cable in the "pushed in" position.

Bob Barker
07/06/2011, 04:33 PM
Zip ties are holding both of my door lock rods to the inner part of the handle! Also held the intercooler in place on my SVO for several months until I found the right brackets :laughing:

boy do I wish I was the guy who invented those!!!

Anyhow, this will be good info for someone else in a future search.

Riff Raff
07/06/2011, 04:50 PM
Yup, zip-ties also work great for law enforcement personnel when transporting prisoners. An officer never has to worry about trying to get his original/personal set of metal hand-cuffs back when exchanging the prisoner between different levels of confinement. Just "Zip-N-Ship". Perhaps "MONCHA" will chime-in with a few real-life experience comments???

:bgwb:

Marlin
07/06/2011, 04:54 PM
Zipties are awesome for all kinds of stuff, if you had a massive head injury, they make the perfect tourniquet:smack:

Back on topic....

VX KAT
07/06/2011, 05:09 PM
Zipties are awesome for all kinds of stuff, if you had a massive head injury, they make the perfect tourniquet:smack:

How'd you know that Marlin? :goof:
Did you have a head injury & someone zipped yours too tight? :p j/k!

oh, I'm on a roll here gang...well at least in my mind anyway....:rollo:

Marlin
07/06/2011, 05:18 PM
How'd you know that Marlin? :goof:
Did you have a head injury & someone zipped yours too tight? :p j/k!

oh, I'm on a roll here gang...well at least in my mind anyway....:rollo:

Ahhhh!!! I am under attack from Sue in every thread!!!!
:bomb:

At boot camp, they did some triage training, they taught us that if you had to apply a tourniquet, you were supposed to write "T" and the time using their blood on their forehead. That stuck with me for some reason, and I use the head wound treatment with a tourniquet as an ice breaker with my classes. They sit there so seriously and just take notes, not even listening to what I am saying. Once they figure it out, its a great way to get the class to relax.

RickOKC
07/06/2011, 05:24 PM
If you melted down your VX and ran an analysis, 50% of the of components would be "Zip Ties." Anyone who has ever looked under their VX might agree. :p

Marlin
07/06/2011, 05:25 PM
If you melted down your VX and ran an analysis, 50% of the of components would be "Zip Ties." Anyone who has ever looked under their VX might agree. :p

LOL, that is true, and I have added more than my fair share as well. Zip ties and rust.

Bob Barker
07/06/2011, 07:09 PM
;eekb;

work great for cv boots too...

:rotate:

tom4bren
07/07/2011, 05:15 AM
& putting up Christmas decorations. At Christmas time, zip ties are my friends.