PDA

View Full Version : Marlin-stein is another year less young!

Triathlete
07/16/2011, 05:28 PM
Happy B-Day...hope it was a good day and the Navy didn't make you work!:bwgy:
;party::bday:;party:

RickOKC
07/16/2011, 08:07 PM
Happy Birthday!

Marlin
07/17/2011, 05:25 AM
It was an alright day, my wife is visiting a friend in Texas, my kids are with my parents for a month....that gives me the whole house to myself for 2 full weeks!!! I bought a $13 NY strip, an 8oz lobster tail and a box of merlot....yippeee!!!

Today, I have to make the VX 4wd again, and figure out where that creaking sound is coming from.

RickOKC
07/17/2011, 09:01 AM
Today, I have to make the VX 4wd again, and figure out where that creaking sound is coming from.Check all the joints then do the same on your VX.

Marlin
07/17/2011, 09:27 AM
Check all the joints then do the same on your VX.

HAHAHAHA, very clever. New front prop shaft installed, still can't figure out the creaking. Picking up my refurbed drive shaft tomorrow, maybe that will be the culprit.

Then i will take some centrum silver and see if that helps:)

rowhard
07/17/2011, 11:36 AM
Happy birthday Chris, looking forward to buying you one this fall. Please bring some decent weather with you, we have a high of 68 predicted today.

Do you play the Navy's favorite game Acey Ducey? Was playing with Sandy the other day and when this happened, I am brown. Kind of like a 29 in cribbage - John

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Acey_Duecy_perfect_roll.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21198)

crager34
07/17/2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks!! Had a nice, unexpected weekend with some close friends. Now a bit closer.

Marlin
07/17/2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks!! Had a nice, unexpected weekend with some close friends. Now a bit closer.

?

ZEUS
07/17/2011, 10:16 PM
Happy Birthday Chris! Well belated...

tom4bren
07/18/2011, 03:57 AM
Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a nice one. Best wishes for many, many more.

crager34
07/18/2011, 04:26 AM
?

What?

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 04:44 AM

?

What?

I think crager thinks this thread was for his birthday - happy belated birthday anyway dude! (July 15th right?)

Marlin
07/18/2011, 04:47 AM
I think crager thinks this thread was for his birthday - happy belated birthday anyway dude! (July 15th right?)

Hmmm, I suppose that could make sense in some way.....lol. Happy Bday!

tom4bren
07/18/2011, 06:08 AM

Happy Birthday ... birthday thief!!! (Just Kidding)

Sorry we missed it & hope you had a great day.

crager34
07/18/2011, 06:24 PM

Seriously! Marlin's last name is Stein? Just like mine? Just like in the subject line of this thread?

crager34
07/18/2011, 06:31 PM

Seriously? Marlin's last name is Stein? Just like mine? Just like in the subject line of this thread? HAHAHAHAH...what a dolt I am for seeing my last name in a birthday thread, actually right after my birthday and thinking I am gonna steel it away from Marlin. What a dolt I am. :thumbdn:

And just in case it wasn't a mistake and my name is actually the one listed: Billy, thank you.

Marlin
07/18/2011, 06:50 PM
Seriously? Marlin's last name is Stein? Just like mine? Just like in the subject line of this thread? HAHAHAHAH...what a dolt I am for seeing my last name in a birthday thread, actually right after my birthday and thinking I am gonna steel it away from Marlin. What a dolt I am. :thumbdn:

And just in case it wasn't a mistake and my name is actually the one listed: Billy, thank you.

LOL.....you crack me up, well, you and the bottle of merlot I have had while playing Alice....

Wife is in Tx, kids in Oh, "its Friday, I ain't got no job, I ain't got ***** to do, I am gonna get high"

Anyway, Marlenstein is a reference to the first bumper I made, which I sorely miss. (frankenstein since it was supposedly ugly, and my SN is marlin, since my previous hobby was off shore big game fishing. I went from lake fishing to catching a marlin on my own boat in two short years, I dive into all my hobbies head and wallet first, the VX is the only thing that stuck), The bumper is sitting on the side of my house behind the AC unit, to avoid HOA attention. I believe Justin or Tom coined the term Marlenstein, perhaps Larry, not sure, too much work to look it up. Functionality wise, that bumper was a 10, great seat, good to stand on for working under hood, place to sit beer, first to impact on steep grades, definitely sturdy. Just wasn't pretty. New bumper, much more subtle, copied off of Orion, but it isn't near as fuctional. Frame rail impacts first, no more step, no place to sit beer, and certainly boring looking:(

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3237/IMGP0893.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/CopyofDSCN7907.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/CopyofDSCN7909.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/DSCN7987.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/hallowharrie09/DSCN7998.jpg

***sigh*** RIP bumper, my learning to cut steel and weld project, came out alright.

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 06:56 PM
Well put it back on then? Btw, whatever happened with Joe Darlington's bumper project? Thought he was going to build something too?

Marlin
07/18/2011, 07:01 PM
Well put it back on then? Btw, whatever happened with Joe Darlington's bumper project? Thought he was going to build something too?

He is going to. He retired two weeks ago from the Airforce. Problem is, VX people are notorious for saying they want something really bad, and then never putting their money where their mouth is. I hate to make it sound bad, but its true. Look at the Kilby project, the SFIFS project and so on. (Hell, even at 200ish, I only sold half a dozen of my plates) The VX group is a frugal one at best. SO with no one putting up a significant deposit or showing interest, that project is on hold for the race season. I went to the race last weekend....it was awesome!!!! I so wish I had the VX there, I would kill the class A race trucks, hands down.

Anyway, I can't put the old one back on without significant rework. I cut and welded the original brackets for the new bumper, by original, I mean the ones I made. They are made of HY80 steel, feel free to wiki it. That is the stuff submarine hulls are made of. I can't tell you how much money in drill bits I ruined trying to put hole in it,and the local premium machine shop broke their high dollar punch trying to put holes in it. The only way to cut nice holes in it is with water. That is pricey.
If my truck gets in a wreck and burns to the ground, I guarantee those brackets will be just fine:smack: Needless to say, I ain't effin with em again.

crager34
07/18/2011, 07:07 PM
LOL.....you crack me up, well, you and the bottle of merlot I have had while playing Alice....

No biggie. I was mistaken. It's only been two years now that I have seen happy birthdays flying around, except for me. I'm not bitter though. :_shrug:

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 07:22 PM
Problem is, VX people are notorious for saying they want something really bad, and then never putting their money where their mouth is. I hate to make it sound bad, but its true. Look at the Kilby project, the SFIFS project and so on. (Hell, even at 200ish, I only sold half a dozen of my plates) The VX group is a frugal one at best.

Sad but true - Joe is a wise man for taking that approach.

RickOKC
07/18/2011, 07:46 PM
Seriously? Marlin's last name is Stein? Just like mine? The weird part about all this.... My real name is actually Craig Arthur Teefor ("Rick" for short.) Small world! :biggringr

Cobrajet
07/19/2011, 03:15 PM

No biggie. I was mistaken. It's only been two years now that I have seen happy birthdays flying around, except for me. I'm not bitter though. :_shrug:

Well happy birthday to both of you!!!

(I have the opposite problem... I want to FORGET how old I'm getting, and these guys remind me EVERY YEAR!) :)