PDA

View Full Version : Keep watch on your trans fluid. a lesson learned.

Ebenezr
07/28/2011, 10:09 AM
I just got the bad news on my trans being rebuilt. The clutches were burnt. Nothing was busted or broken but burnt from overheating and low fluid. I do check my fluid and have topped it off every couple months. The mechanic mentioned the notorious leaky seals other threads have discussed like where the shift lever enters. Anyway happy VXing again...on Monday. 2375.00$ ouch. :_brickwal

tom4bren
07/28/2011, 10:29 AM
Ouch.

Thanks for the warning.

Best of luck.

Riff Raff
07/28/2011, 10:35 AM
Ouch is right!!! Thanx for the heads-up. I always check underneath my vehicles daily for any signs of fresh fluid drippings/puddles. For any signs of fresh drippings, I place some fresh newspaper underneath the vehicle for confirmation of source. Thankfully; my VX doesn't drip a single drop of anything, nor does it burn a drop of oil (I use up more motor oil checking/wiping the dipstick every time before a cold start).

:bgwb:

Ebenezr
07/28/2011, 10:42 AM
:evil2:It would seem to me also that driving in power mode :evil2: would place more wear on the clutches overall....but I like power mode :yes:

tom4bren
07/28/2011, 10:49 AM
My understanding is that it doesn't. It just changes the shift points.

Indirectly Power Mode will cause more tranny wear just because it is more funner to drive that way so you drive it harder.

vt_maverick
07/28/2011, 11:41 AM
Okay maybe this is a dumb question, but I thought we didn't have a tranny dipstick? Our Axiom has one right behind the oil dipstick, but no such luck on the VX. How do you check it without a dipstick?

tom4bren
07/28/2011, 11:50 AM
Check plug on tranny.

Pull the plug & if some runs out - you got enough. If none runs out, add till it does dribble out.

Careful though, there are 2 plugs. One (the lower one) is for draining the tranny fluid and the other (higher one) is for adding/checking fluid level.

VX KAT
07/28/2011, 12:26 PM
Ebzy did you have any drips that you'd noticed?

Gussie2000
07/28/2011, 01:33 PM
:evil2:It would seem to me also that driving in power mode :evil2: would place more wear on the clutches overall....but I like power mode :yes:

My mech mentioned that to me while time ago,the power mode is a plus,but not a must to drive on a daily basis.

He say that on highway or city driving the power mode isn't necesary because it does wear the clutches faster if you keep it on 24/7,especially if you suffer with lead foot syndrome.

vt_maverick
07/28/2011, 01:39 PM
Good to know, thanks Tom!

Ebenezr
07/28/2011, 01:45 PM
Check plug on tranny.

Pull the plug & if some runs out - you got enough. If none runs out, add till it does dribble out.

Careful though, there are 2 plugs. One (the lower one) is for draining the tranny fluid and the other (higher one) is for adding/checking fluid level.

But turn the vehicle on in nuetral with the brake. then release the upper pan bolt. It will dump a whole quart if the engine is off. If nothing comes out then pump tran fluid in with a hand pump.

Ebenezr
07/28/2011, 01:47 PM
Ebzy did you have any drips that you'd noticed?

Yes KAT my VX underside always has drips. I am ashamed to say I have a power steering fluid leak I have put up with for months. :(

Ebenezr
07/29/2011, 10:12 AM
:mady:Trans man just told me someone else has had this transmission apart before and it wasn't done right!!!!:madb:

nfpgasmask
07/29/2011, 12:53 PM
How low was your fluid? What actually happened? Did it start slipping or banging?

Bart

Ebenezr
07/29/2011, 02:09 PM
How low was your fluid? What actually happened? Did it start slipping or banging?

Bart

Sorry I guess I described the problem in another thread and this is what I posted: The symptoms were the trans popping into a neutral state out of 3rd gear esp when it was not yet warm during the first 3 miles or so. Then it would warm out of the prob. This started 3 weeks ago and I was going to do the usual easy stuff like change the fluid and filter but it worsened then 3rd just completely died on the way to a local place to 4 wheel a bit. I did top the fluid off 2 weeks ago and that did not fix it. The fluid level was down a half quart.

Ldub
07/29/2011, 04:29 PM
Okay maybe this is a dumb question, but I thought we didn't have a tranny dipstick? Our Axiom has one right behind the oil dipstick, but no such luck on the VX. How do you check it without a dipstick?

Check plug on tranny.

But turn the vehicle on in nuetral with the brake. then release the upper pan bolt. It will dump a whole quart if the engine is off. If nothing comes out then pump tran fluid in with a hand pump.

It's a LITTLE more complicated than just 1-2-3...:_wrench:

Pay attention to the temp range specified.

Here's the whole procedure...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

FWIW, you can get a cheap temp scanner at harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html) for under $20.-

Riff Raff
07/30/2011, 03:27 AM
Thank you L-Dub for the definitive instructions. Good information indeed.

:bgwb:

Ebenezr
08/03/2011, 06:38 PM
Transmission is fixed!!!! Yay. And I sense a big difference. It engages instantly from park to D or R. Before there were up to 3 seconds delays!!

RickOKC
08/03/2011, 06:46 PM
Yay! I'm happy to hear you're back in business!

nfpgasmask
08/03/2011, 09:01 PM
Yup, me too. Took the VX to a real mechanic for the very first time in 5 years of ownership. They had to Helicoil 3 bolt holes (:mbrasd:) to fix the leak. They changed gaskets for both pans, did my selector shaft seal and accumulator piston cover as well, just to cover all the bases. Drip free!!!!!!

:_beer:

Bart

Paul_A
08/04/2011, 07:12 AM
Wow... I'm confused. I have a transmission dipstick on mine! Been using the tube to top up the trans. now and again. It's the 3.2 engine, so I'm wondering if it's a different type of trans. entirely ..... or just something that was on the 3.2? :confused::confused:

Ebenezr
08/04/2011, 07:37 AM
Everyone please get your trans fluid changed every 30-40K miles or sooner. Mine trans has been PM'd six times and it shifts like new at 251K miles. I had it done at 46-82-118-151-185-226K miles.

At the same time change the fluid in the transfer case, both diffs, and the power steering. Anyone buying a VX should have this done right away. You never know when the previous owner had it done or if it was ever done.

And don't drive it like ya stole it if ya want these systems to last trouble free. :yesy:

Mark

Right on! :yeso:

Paul_A
08/04/2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks Mark!

Does that mean its easier to change the fluid? Can I just drain it from underneath and refill via the dipstick tube?
Also, am I right in thinking I should check the level with the engine running?
Thanks!

last ride
08/04/2011, 07:58 AM
No drips=good thing. Question who do you trust enough , too allow there hands on your.......love ~ In Reno ?

nfpgasmask
08/04/2011, 08:46 AM
No drips=good thing. Question who do you trust enough , too allow there hands on your.......love ~ In Reno ?

First of all, wait a sec, where are you?!?!?!? If you are in Reno, how come we haven't met up yet???? PM me, we should get together for lunch. Did you just buy your Ebony from BBBEAST? I know he was selling his a couple months back.

Secondly, I took my VX to Leveret Transmission, 4th and Wells, from what I can tell they did a great job! I was nervous, seriously nervous, but my VX is back, drip free and shifting smooth as ice cream!

Bart

Ldub
08/04/2011, 04:34 PM
Took the VX to a real mechanic for the very first time in 5 years of ownership. They had to Helicoil 3 bolt holes (:mbrasd:) to fix the leak. They changed gaskets for both pans, did my selector shaft seal and accumulator piston cover as well, just to cover all the bases. Drip free!!!!!!

:_beer:

Bart

Secondly, I took my VX to Leveret Transmission, 4th and Wells, from what I can tell they did a great job! I was nervous, seriously nervous, but my VX is back, drip free and shifting smooth as ice cream!

Bart

I hear that Bro...:yes:

I just took Suzy in for a flush after checking the fluid level before the road trip to S C & finding the fluid color to be more brown than red :(.
First time in a LONG time wrenches other than mine have touched her nether regions.
I got lucky on the first roll of the die.
Whenever I need something I can't wrench for myself, which is becoming more prevalent as my tolerance for crawling around "under there" diminishes, I bust out the yellow pgs & Angies list, then start the interview process.

When I find one that sounds reasonably intelligent on the telly, I go in & conduct a personal interview.
Right from the moment I get there, they know FOR SURE that THEY are being interviewed for a VERRRY important position, & how VITAL it is that they are on exactly the same page as I am.
As far as I'm concerned, whether it be a lawyer, doctor, dentist, or auto tech...if I'm giving you $, you work for me.

Also, I INSISTED that their most experienced tech do the work.

When I had Suzys vital red juices flushed, they asked me to leave her there & they'd gimme a ride to wherever I wanted to go...uh, NO, I don't think so, was the answer.

After my initial conversation with the tech doing the work, he came out to the waiting room twice to ask me 4L30E related questions, & even said, & I quote: "you probably know more about these things than I do", and also brought me back under the lift so I could clarify this or that & get his input on external trans coolers etc.

In the end, all went well & we made the trip with no mech difficulties.

But now that she's got fresh red juice, I'm kinda tempted to drop the pan & replace her filter.:yesgray:

VX KAT
08/04/2011, 04:52 PM
First time in a LONG time wrenches other than mine have touched her nether regions. :eek::eek: PERV!

When I had Suzys vital red juices flushed, .....whatcha doing, having her embalmed? ...hmmmm....we all pretty much want to keep 'em forever...maybe that's an idea...:_thinking:slap:

After my initial conversation with the tech doing the work, he came out to the waiting room twice to ask me 4L30E related questions, & even said, & I quote: "you probably know more about these things than I do",
:thumbup:....I've gotten that comment EVERY time I've EVER stepped onto a car lot and talked to ANY salesperson. :rollo:....and I've told them they were right!

:

Very refreshing to hear you found a place that's so receptive and easy to work with.....seems that's mighty rare these days :thumbup:
Wanna come to AZ and talk ABS sensors and CV boot replacement with my guy?? :rollo:

Ldub
08/04/2011, 04:59 PM
Very refreshing to hear you found a place that's so receptive and easy to work with.....seems that's mighty rare these days :thumbup:
Wanna come to AZ and talk ABS sensors and CV boot replacement with my guy?? :rollo:

That offer will be mighty tempting about mid Jan...:yesgray:

VX KAT
08/04/2011, 05:55 PM
That offer will be mighty tempting about mid Jan...:yesgray:

invites open buddy! ....ya know,... you'll pass right by the Grand Canyon!!! it's a real purdy site to see!

Ebenezr
08/04/2011, 06:29 PM
Well sorry to bring you two down from your dreaming...but the Grand Canyon is awfully far away both in time and space.:yeso: but you want to hear something funny. Now this takes great courage for me to say cause it is embarassing but since my trans has been rebuilt it now has a 4th gear I never knew existed. Yes I do believe I always topped out in 3rd and just stayed there ....for the past 10 months I have owned it. I thought some guy had it wrong talking in a thread about a 4th gear....I thought what is he smoking...I only have a 3 speed. I never really questioned it till I just checked the manual and it talks about a "4th" gear. I wondered why it never wanted to go much past 60-65 without really pushing it. Now it hits 70 with ease. Ah ha ha ha huh huh. :o:_iamwiths this sign says "I am stupid" but happy. :snooz:

Ldub
08/04/2011, 08:04 PM
Well sorry to bring you two down from your dreaming...but the Grand Canyon is awfully far away both in time and space.:yeso: but you want to hear something funny. Now this takes great courage for me to say cause it is embarassing but since my trans has been rebuilt it now has a 4th gear I never knew existed. Yes I do believe I always topped out in 3rd and just stayed there ....for the past 10 months I have owned it. I thought some guy had it wrong talking in a thread about a 4th gear....I thought what is he smoking...I only have a 3 speed. I never really questioned it till I just checked the manual and it talks about a "4th" gear. I wondered why it never wanted to go much past 60-65 without really pushing it. Now it hits 70 with ease. Ah ha ha ha huh huh. :o:_iamwiths this sign says "I am stupid" but happy. :snooz:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/5810704624_b04172bb4b.jpg

Glad to hear you've become fully functional...:thumbup:...:_steering

evillecutter
05/23/2012, 01:49 PM
i know this is an old thread but i was wondering i actually need to replace the transmission bolt gasket every time i check or change or add fluid? seems kind of silly will it leak if i dont replace it?

nfpgasmask
05/23/2012, 01:57 PM
If you are talking about the drain plug gasket, no, you do not need to replace the gasket unless it is leaking. The thought is, replace it while you have it out, so that way if it does leak, you don't have to dump your trans fluid to switch it out. I like the green plastic gaskets, seem to work well, and they're cheap.

Bart

evillecutter
05/23/2012, 02:03 PM
If you are talking about the drain plug gasket, no, you do not need to replace the gasket unless it is leaking. The thought is, replace it while you have it out, so that way if it does leak, you don't have to dump your trans fluid to switch it out. I like the green plastic gaskets, seem to work well, and they're cheap.

Bart

that's the one i was talking about - thank you