PDA

View Full Version : What year should I buy?

totallto
09/26/2003, 02:43 PM
Yeah, got to get a VX!
what is the best year to get?
Do all years have the 18 in wheels?

thanks

aj

AlaskaVX
09/26/2003, 02:48 PM
go with a 2000 or 2001. I know all 2001's have climate control and 18"s. I think that there were still a few 2000's that came with 16"s and not too sure about the climate control. But I think that those are the only differences besides the 2001 Ironman edition having stock Sony Xplod speakers. You should just get one with the lowest miles there really isn't much of a difference.

Anita
09/26/2003, 06:06 PM
Imported for U.S. sales

1999's -- 16" wheels, no climate control, choice of exterior colors -Astral Silver, Ebony Black and Ironman White. Interior - only red \black.

2000- 2001 -- 18" wheels, climate control, Added Exterior colors of Kaiser Silver( darker than Astral), Proton yellow, Foxfire Red and Dragon Green. Added interior color choice of Grey/black.

There was also a small modification of lengthening the back seat strap that secures the folded seats up. The strap seemed to be too short in most of the 99's to easily hook.

;Dr;

Spike
09/26/2003, 09:34 PM
Anita - You and those lengthened back seat straps!

BTW.. the XPlod speakers in the 2001 Ironman, were they some sort of OEM model or do we know an equivalent retail model number?

Anita
09/26/2003, 10:07 PM
At least you didnt ask me about the leather bra... :naughty:

Daver
09/27/2003, 07:21 PM
yes. Like Anita said. Go for a 2000 or 2001, because you can get an Ebony with grey/black interior. The BEST color scheme in the US!

Maybe I'm biased. I dunno.

-Daver

fishhookmaui
09/27/2003, 08:04 PM
Daver,I respectfully disagree.The best color scheme 'for me' is the kaiser silver w/ the gray and black interior..Same two tone color inside and out..Moreover,most Isuzu advertisements were done showcasing the vx in astral/kaiser silver scheme..But one can also make a strong case that a black vx w/ gray,black interior is just as nice.

Raque Thomas
09/27/2003, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, you're both incorrect, EVERYONE knows that the 2001 black with black/red interior is the VX to own. Only 87 discerning owners had the forsight to buy this combination, and now the rest of you are jealous. Really, it's OK - you can admit it. We like your colors too, we just know what looks best on the VX!hehe!

Now for honesty - I love black but da*n it's hard to take care of! I'm not just talking about dirt - it shows EVERY flaw, every scratch, every swirl. I've had black cars before but they were company cars or leased cars - I didn't notice them as much. Sometimes I think the VX must have "weak" paint. It seems every time I wash it (at LEAST twice a week) I find a new blemish! I've been drooling over some of the white and yellow ones I've seen here on the site....sorry guys, the silver doesn't do it for me. I guess that's why they make more than one color!

paultvx
09/27/2003, 10:24 PM
2001. Why? Because I'm selling mine. Autotrader.com bound tomorrow after a good washing and some pictures.

Life is what it is... nothing is permanent.

Raque Thomas
09/27/2003, 10:50 PM
Paul - you DO NOT want to sell your VX. Da*n, I question if you really even WOULD sell it if someone came up with the dough + some! You've mentioned selling a couple of times- but I don't think you are serious. The VX isn't a car - it's a LIFE STATEMENT. I've read your posts, you are obviously not a person who "coasts"; you have strong feelings about life, about what is right, about the VX!

I know you're going through a difficult time in your professional life (as am I); the realization of a profit (hopefully) from the sale of your VX (your baby), isn't going to make a significant dent in any debt vs. equity situation (as you will need another vehicle of some sort) you may have. I don't see you driving a $2000 rice burner till you find another job.

Stick to your guns, stand by your VX, keep your head up, find another job, KEEP YOUR VX!

>>> Really RT, you can say damn.. Geez, it's in the bible even ;)

Navigator
09/27/2003, 10:51 PM
...They're all P.H.A.T :D

fishhookmaui
09/28/2003, 03:54 AM
Tough times indeed,PaulVx...You got your priorities straight..By chance,you wouldn't have chrome mirror cover?If so,I would like to buy those from you...

paultvx
09/28/2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by raquethomas
Paul - you DO NOT want to sell your VX. Da*n, I question if you really even WOULD sell it if someone came up with the dough + some! You've mentioned selling a couple of times- but I don't think you are serious. The VX isn't a car - it's a LIFE STATEMENT. I've read your posts, you are obviously not a person who "coasts"; you have strong feelings about life, about what is right, about the VX!

I know you're going through a difficult time in your professional life (as am I); the realization of a profit (hopefully) from the sale of your VX (your baby), isn't going to make a significant dent in any debt vs. equity situation (as you will need another vehicle of some sort) you may have. I don't see you driving a $2000 rice burner till you find another job.

Stick to your guns, stand by your VX, keep your head up, find another job, KEEP YOUR VX!

>>> Really RT, you can say damn.. Geez, it's in the bible even ;)

How nice it is for someone else to make decisions for me. ;) Yes I am selling. Do I want to? Hell no. Do I have to? painfully, yes. Selling it will get rid of one big expense: car payment. One less expense to deal with. Will life be less stressful? Doubt it. I don't see myself driving a $2000 junker either, but we all have to do what we have to do to survive don't we? I don't have family and I'm completely on my own. There isn't going to be anyone to prop me up if I fail. It's do or die. As I've said before, I don't enjoy the way things are but life is what it is.

I just spent 5 hours washing, polishing, and waxing my VX. It looks better than the day I picked it up from the transporter from GA. It's probably the last time I will give it that much attention. In 5 minutes I am leaving to take some pictures and it will be put on the market on autotrader.com late tonight.

I worked my way up from entry level production designer to senior level art director in eight years (for those who aren't familiar with the creative field, art director is at the top of the second tier of any creative department/company after creative directors and associate creative directors.) Somehow with hard work, I've managed work myself out of employment (I'm still trying to make sense of that). The truth is that I'm tired of applying for entry level jobs (because that's all there is) that I can't get because I'm "overqualifed" for wanting to make a living. I'm also tired of applying for jobs I know I can do (at Nike and others) but don't get the chance to prove myself because the computers they use to screen applicants think that I'm "not qualified". Puzzling... and I can't begin to describe how frustrated I am.

When reality is in my face, it's time to grow up and face the music. I don't like it but that's the way it is.

ScottinMA
09/28/2003, 05:12 PM
That's sad. :( With an SC too. 4 pages of vehicles on that site. Sorry to hear of the loss.

Scott

paultvx
09/28/2003, 05:32 PM
No SC yet.

Anita
09/28/2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by raquethomas
Now for honesty - I love black but da*n it's hard to take care of! I'm not just talking about dirt - it shows EVERY flaw, every scratch, every swirl. I've had black cars before but they were company cars or leased cars - I didn't notice them as much. Sometimes I think the VX must have "weak" paint. It seems every time I wash it (at LEAST twice a week) I find a new blemish!

Raquethomas,

What are you waxing your VX with? I have an Ebony and I have never had the problem you talk of.

paultvx
09/28/2003, 11:45 PM
If you love your VX, treat it to a nice rubbing of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze once ever 6 to 12 months a year. Your VX will purr for you.

Seriously, this stuff is what the pros use to bring luster to paint. I've used it religiously on all of the cars I've owned. Each sold looking as good as new. Follow up with a good coat of quality wax. Buy a bottle and try it on just one pannel and compare with the rest of your VX. The result will amaze you.

paultvx
09/29/2003, 02:30 AM
After 5 hours of washing, rubbing, and waxing... *sniff*

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/p_ting/VX/index.html

johnnyapollo
09/29/2003, 03:56 AM
Looks good Paul. You should probably put a couple of engine bay shots in there...

-- Best, John

Raque Thomas
09/29/2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Anita
Raquethomas,

What are you waxing your VX with? I have an Ebony and I have never had the problem you talk of.

I haven't waxed it yet. Bought it in May, beaded up nicely when washed. I took it to a detail shop to get it buffed to take out the aforementioned swirl marks. When I picked it up it looked good, but as I said, it looks worse every time I wash it. I think they didn't get the swirls out, and I didn't notice because of the lighting. I use Blue Coral wash with a lamb's wool mitt, and a chamois to dry. I only use straight strokes when washing & drying, no circular motion. I'm going to take it to another detail shop and get some advice + another buff I guess.

totallto
09/30/2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I found one here in Seattle. Saw it and had to run out on Sunday to take a look. Did the test drive and had to buy!
Black, 2001. Yeah, Baby!
thanks for the help all! See ya on the road!

Dallas4u
09/30/2003, 10:19 AM
Unless you definitely have your heart set on a certain color, I say you look for the best mileage-to-price ratio... buy what you can afford with the lowest mileage. Climate control... not a huge deal, unless it is to you! 18" wheels... again, unless it makes a big difference to you, not a big deal.

carlymac
09/30/2003, 12:05 PM
I have preferred the first production year of any "classic to be" vehicle. Also it's seems logical to me that any special edition vehicles within that first year would be worth more money in the future. Thusly, I own a '99 ironman that I ordered the day after I saw the first VehiCROSS commercial. Now, there is something to be said about the limited numbers of the dragon green and foxfire red mica's out there. They too should be treated as special editions due to their rarity. But face the facts were talking about a VehiCROSS here...a rarity in itself. Buy one, take care of it, if you modify it keep the stock parts and one day we'll be old those old men and women you see driving their classic machines on a pretty sunday afternoon;Db;