PDA

View Full Version : Need a new engine

spaceCADETzoom
07/30/2011, 10:48 AM
Ok, diagnosis is in, and I need a new engine. We all thought no problem, but my shop and all they've called (including isuzu) say it's a different engine than the 3.5 trooper. I would like a no **** word on what engines are plug and play compatible with the vx. Not the axiom, not a rebadged Acura, not any "it should" anecdotes of rodeo 3.2s, but a no bs "I specifically had (blank) installed in my vx."

The only options I have now, if this "trooper 3.5 incompatible" is to be believed, is a new one from isuzu, and I have a quote of $11k. I can buy TWO freaking new VXes with that. And a vx specific engine from out of state with about70k on it. Things would be a lot easier if I can get some concrete word on trooper 3.5s and why in the world anyone(isuzu!) would say they won't fit. Please. Thanks x infinity.

Triathlete
07/30/2011, 11:03 AM
Dont have an answer for you although there have been a few engine transplants posted in the past couple years including a axiom (bigmeatvx) and someone more resently did it with a troop engine.
For 11k i could drop a v8 and do my solid axle swap!

Gussie2000
07/30/2011, 03:44 PM
Ok, diagnosis is in, and I need a new engine. We all thought no problem, but my shop and all they've called (including isuzu) say it's a different engine than the 3.5 trooper. I would like a no **** word on what engines are plug and play compatible with the vx. Not the axiom, not a rebadged Acura, not any "it should" anecdotes of rodeo 3.2s, but a no bs "I specifically had (blank) installed in my vx."

The only options I have now, if this "trooper 3.5 incompatible" is to be believed, is a new one from isuzu, and I have a quote of $11k. I can buy TWO freaking new VXes with that. And a vx specific engine from out of state with about70k on it. Things would be a lot easier if I can get some concrete word on trooper 3.5s and why in the world anyone(isuzu!) would say they won't fit. Please. Thanks x infinity.

Sorry about your engine.

All isuzu 3.5L engines from 1998 thru 2001 are the same,period

The axiom 3.5L engine comes with a electronic intake throttle and the ECU/wiring is different,that's why the axiom's short block cannot be use in the VX,but you can use the axiom's long block and paired with the VX's short block.

My mech is a former isuzu especialst,i called him and talked about your situation and he just laugh when he hear about the ""UNIQUE" engine your shop is talking about and he believes the shop is trying to pull a big one on you.

Call SAINT CHARLES ISUZU ( 636 441 4481 ) ask for merlin and explain him your situation. Let him know you are a VX.INFO member & he'll provide you better answers.

spaceCADETzoom
07/30/2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks, gussie.

I trust this shop, they done right on me the last couple months. In fact, the mechanic was as confused as me--he immediately went looking for Trooper 3.5 engines, but the suppliers and isuzu told him it wouldn't work. So. I dunno if I want to bring it elsewhere. The labor would probably be cheaper elsewhere, I only brought it there because of that built trust. But now, I'm really thinking I"m gonna tow it back to the driveway where it will sit until I build up a pool of cash.

spaceCADETzoom
07/30/2011, 05:33 PM
Tempted to buy a new VX. I'm really not looking forward to parting out a driveway leech, though. And I doubt a junkyard will pay much anything for her. And honestly, I've grown attached to MY vx. This sucks.

Gussie2000
07/30/2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks, gussie.

I trust this shop, they done right on me the last couple months. In fact, the mechanic was as confused as me--he immediately went looking for Trooper 3.5 engines, but the suppliers and isuzu told him it wouldn't work. So. I dunno if I want to bring it elsewhere. The labor would probably be cheaper elsewhere, I only brought it there because of that built trust. But now, I'm really thinking I"m gonna tow it back to the driveway where it will sit until I build up a pool of cash.

Who ever are the suppliers they are wrong,is the same engine,same specs,same displacement,etc

The 3.5L troopers also use the same TOD system our VX came with

Is just all standart drivetrains on different models.

Call merlin,he'll address your concerns and clear all your doubts

Gussie2000
07/30/2011, 05:58 PM
Tempted to buy a new VX. I'm really not looking forward to parting out a driveway leech, though. And I doubt a junkyard will pay much aing for her. And honestly, I've grown attached to MY vx. This sucks.

spaceCADETzoom.

Try to understand something..
There's no such especial engine produced for our VX,the people your shop is dealing with probably have the same wrong info.

Our engine ( Model 6VE1 ) came manufactured from the same production line in japan,our VX doesn't differs from the rest of the 3.5L built back in those years. ( 1998-2001 ) is the same engine found in the trooper,the rodeo,the acura SLX and ultimately our VX

Do some google research and you'll find the info.

rsteinmetz70112
07/30/2011, 06:28 PM
Have your shop call Merlin for the correct information. I"m pretty from reading here he can give them the correct information. I'd suggest you arrange a conference call so you can be sure.

spaceCADETzoom
07/30/2011, 07:19 PM
spaceCADETzoom.

Try to understand something..
There's no such especial engine produced for our VX,the people your shop is dealing with probably have the same wrong info.

Our engine ( Model 6VE1 ) came manufactured from the same production line in japan,our VX doesn't differs from the rest of the 3.5L built back in those years. ( 1998-2001 ) is the same engine found in the trooper,the rodeo,the acura SLX and ultimately our VX

Do some google research and you'll find the info.

Thanks, and theres no need for me to "try," I'm right there with you...maybe I'm not being clear. I understand it's the same exact engine. My mechanic thought so as well. Others are telling us otherwise. Im just rambling on about maybe i should just move to a new vx, or on the idea that anyway you slice it this is a lot of dollars--maybe I'm better off with going to a cheaper shop that specializes in replacing engines. And im looking to get someone anyone to tell me that the trooper 3.5 fits just fine from personal experience and to get that info on over to my mechanic. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'll get some conference call going.

Gizmo42
08/01/2011, 10:21 AM
Erwin, talk to Jerry (jlemond) on planetisuzoo. He knows absolutely everything about every isuzu. He can tell you for sure which engines are the same. I was going to look up the part number and cross over for the long block on myisuzuparts but it seems to be down now *yikes!*

Triathlete
08/01/2011, 10:30 AM
X2 on Jerry! Isuzu genius.

blacksambo
08/01/2011, 11:24 AM
I think the blocks are the same, but the fuel injection assembly is different, but it will bolt on to the trooper block. You have to remember only the VX has fulltime TOD, troopers were driver select TOD, they even had troopers with TOD and manual shift gear boxes, They had TOD as well.

Gizmo42
08/01/2011, 04:51 PM
myisuzuparts is back up. Here is the part number info and crossover for a short block

TROOPER....ENGINE ASM; PARTIAL....5-87310-451-0....08-1997 to 07-1999....6VE1....DOHC ENG
VEHICROSS....ENGINE ASM; PARTIAL....5-87310-451-0....12-1998 and later....6VE1....DOHC ENG

The heads are all the same on all the Isuzu SUV's (3.2 and 3.5) from '98 thru '01. So a long block for vx or trooper for the years above would be no problem. Newer trooper 3.5's probably also will work just fine. They just have a different part number so they may have changed one little thing on them. Jerry would know for sure.

Etfren
08/01/2011, 05:12 PM
Dont have an answer for you although there have been a few engine transplants posted in the past couple years including a axiom (bigmeatvx) and someone more resently did it with a troop engine.
For 11k i could drop a v8 and do my solid axle swap!

Yup, I've got big meat's VX now, but its probably not the best example to use if you are looking for plug and play, considering the 5-speed swap and all the other custom work it has.

I have a second VX that needs a motor though and I already bought a new motor for it from an 02 Axiom. Haven't started work on it, but I'm hoping to get going with it in the next 2-3 weeks. Probably post a build thread when its done with lots of pictures so we have some detailed info for future reference for whats needed to do the swap.

svbigtuna
08/24/2011, 09:02 PM
ATK the place I bought my crate engine from last month listed the part number 111 as a part description that included the application for Vehi cross, Trooper II and the Axiom.

Buffy
08/25/2011, 04:42 AM
Now if you are wanting to rid the driveway of your VX send me an IM! :goof: I have been dying to drop the 2.8(i think) diesel engine in with the 5 speed. Jerry Lemond and I have had several discussions on this topic. The mounts are exactly the same and if the correct 5 speed (don't remember which one at the moment) the original driveshafts would work. Then it is a matter of sorting out the wiring. THEN you'd have a unique setup!