PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ISUZU tech convo

WormGod
08/04/2011, 07:25 AM
I was leaving the local grocery here the other evening and when I got to my VX, a guy was walking around it taking in the sight. We exchanged the quick, general How-Do's and he proceeded to tell me he always loved the VX and used to be a master tech at an ISUZU dealer I had gone to way back when (yep, before ISUZU dealers around here became fossils). Apparently, he is now a Chevy master tech (according to his work shirt anyways.... and the bEaUtIfUl ZO6 he climbed into when he drove away).

Of course, first and foremost, he put out there just how natural it is for the VX to burn a qt. of oil every 3k. Name of the game, just how it is. Nothing new there, but he also said that since I was S/C'd, the potential to burn more was greater due to rod 1 being the furthest. I am skeptical, especially since before and after, my VX almost burns no oil. Regardless, something to think about and keep eyes open for.

He was also saying the EGR was always the biggest problem with them. Funny enough, he said, it's actually not the EGR at all. It would become an EGR problem because the EGR plumbing would get completely carbonized. He said, even in the shop, they would run a coat hanger down the line fashioned with a brush and cleaner, clean up the EGR, and it would purr like a kitten. I have had the EGR issues before but never thought to bother with the actual line itself. Damn shame it's a pain in the arse to get to with the S/C, heh.

One interesting thing he mentioned, which I had heard Tone say before, was, DO NOT USE ANY PLUGS OTHER THAN THE FACTORY. I always took this with a grain of salt, but he claimed some voodoo science that the VX and the factory plugs were married to. I didn't get into the "why not" so much, but again, food for thought.

Things he spat on.... cheap stock CV boots, transmission (and we will all agree, these should have been a stock 5spd manual), power window jamming, under-powered alternator (never thought about that), and lack of accessories.

The things he loved most are too many to list, but being owners, we have heard them all before.

In general, it was a pretty cool conversation. He said he hadn't seen one around in years and being able to get up close to one again was "pretty awesome". It was pretty touching, the way he would just stand there and look at it, like a proud parent watching their kid walk across the graduation stage. Kinda touching. Glad I could bring back some good times for him. :)

nfpgasmask
08/04/2011, 09:27 AM
That is cool, and quite interesting. I pretty much go nuts whenever I spot another VX on the road, they really are just that special. Between my VX and the Impulse, I have two EXTREMELY rare vehicles. Pretty crazy, because I bought the Impulse on a rather impulsive whim, with full intentions of driving it regularly to save on gas, give the VX a break, blah blah blah, but now that I own it and I am restoring/refreshing it, I have a feeling it will be a garage queen just like the VX when I am done!!

I should probably buy some mini commuter car to beat the hell out of, you know something butt ugly that I don't really "care" about. :rolleyes:

Bart

PS - Full Trooper make-over is on deck after the Impulse is done. :evil:

samneil2000
08/04/2011, 09:28 AM
Did you tell him about the forum?

Marlin
08/04/2011, 01:35 PM
Bart, get you a RS, only 1500 imported to the US over the 10 year span of RSness...:)

nfpgasmask
08/04/2011, 01:38 PM
Bart, get you a RS, only 1500 imported to the US over the 10 year span of RSness...:)

It is on my agenda, trust me! :cool!: Gotta finish up with the Impulse, get the VX cleaned up a little, then I am going to do my "remake" on the 91 Troop, and then, I WILL find and buy a nice RS.

Bart

PS - Then I need to find a nice 1982 I-Mark Diesel Fastback, and then import an Isuzu Unicab!!!

WormGod
08/05/2011, 06:49 AM
No, I didn't exactly throw an invite to the forum, but I told him we had a pretty good worldwide family of VX owners online. He didnt seem like he wanted to get into the mix or even try to own a VX, just felt the need to lecture someone on how to take proper care of one of these gems he so much loved to work with back in the day, heh.

TheGanzman
08/05/2011, 06:55 AM
Good info about the EGR system; bookmarked! Thanks!