PDA

View Full Version : Tone popper with OEM Tailgate Popper button

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 07:55 AM
I know there are several Door Popper related threads, but I would like to create one that is all encompassing if you want to install the tone popper with the oem tailgate button. Which is what I am hoping to do next weekend (a week from saturday). After I get it finished, I will create a "how-to" thread to be stored for future use.

So.....

Please chime in if you think this looks right or wrong, or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Wiring1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21269)

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 07:57 AM
One additional thing I just noticed....

The pin switch would ALSO be connected to the dome lights.

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 08:55 AM
I dont think the "E-brake Ground" is in the right spot......or is it.

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 11:47 AM
Wow, I am totally carrying on a thread by myself....weird..

I did some more looking/thinking. A made a modification to my diagram to reflect my new knowledge.

I believe the ebrake is NOT a ground as I originally had thought. Rather, it is an interlock switch that produces 12v when engaged. This is evident by the "Brake" being lit up on the dash. I will use that to power the button, which will in turn activate my relay. If the ebrake isnt pulled, then the button doesnt have 12v to send to activate the relay magnet. Both diagrams are VERY messy. Once figured out, I will draw up something cleaner.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/WiringV2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21270)

circmand
08/05/2011, 12:01 PM
Wow, I am totally carrying on a thread by myself....weird..

I did some more looking/thinking. A made a modification to my diagram to reflect my new knowledge.

I believe the ebrake is NOT a ground as I originally had thought. Rather, it is an interlock switch that produces 12v when engaged. This is evident by the "Brake" being lit up on the dash. I will use that to power the button, which will in turn activate my relay. If the ebrake isnt pulled, then the button doesnt have 12v to send to activate the relay magnet. Both diagrams are VERY messy. Once figured out, I will draw up something cleaner.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/WiringV2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21270)

you are the only one who can read your handwriting. JK but I didnt want you to feel all alone

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks.....I think :)

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 01:27 PM
Crud...I think I was right the first time. I think our ebrake provides a ground to a circuit. I dont think I have access to the "brake system warning" light's 12v. Only to its ground.

not sure if it is safe to ground the relay to it or not.

JAMAS
08/05/2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like the "park position switch" may be the answer.....May be.

Maybe it will provide the same 12v that I was hoping to get at the parking brake switch. Only this time, the VX will have to be in PARK.

FlyingV77
08/05/2011, 10:48 PM
I want to use it while in drive... so I can pop the hatch and release 1,000s of caltrops if I'm ever being chased by zombies

johnnyapollo
08/06/2011, 10:02 AM
You can use the park position switch to prevent the door from opening while you're driving...

MSHardeman
08/06/2011, 10:19 AM
I wired my Tone rear door popper to a stock Isuzu tailgate release switch like you are proposing, but the one thing that I found was that if you connect the pin switch to the dome light AND the little open indicator light on the stock switch the popper will not work if the dome light is one. In other words, if you have one of your doors open, which turns the dome light on, then the stock switch will not activate the popper. I don't know if it's just the way I wired things, or if there is some kind of mechanism in the stock button that canels it out if the indicator light is on.

The only way I can see around this would be to install two pin switches; one to turn the dome light on and one to turn the open indicator light on on the stock button on.

JAMAS
08/06/2011, 11:00 AM
You can use the park position switch to prevent the door from opening while you're driving...

Does the park position switch output 12v or is it a ground?

JAMAS
08/06/2011, 11:05 AM
I wired my Tone rear door popper to a stock Isuzu tailgate release switch like you are proposing, but the one thing that I found was that if you connect the pin switch to the dome light AND the little open indicator light on the stock switch the popper will not work if the dome light is one. In other words, if you have one of your doors open, which turns the dome light on, then the stock switch will not activate the popper. I don't know if it's just the way I wired things, or if there is some kind of mechanism in the stock button that canels it out if the indicator light is on.

The only way I can see around this would be to install two pin switches; one to turn the dome light on and one to turn the open indicator light on on the stock button on.

Hmmm... That's odd. I would think it was just a ground. If anything I would think the door indicator on the switch would light up if Any door opened.

johnnyapollo
08/07/2011, 04:40 AM
Does the park position switch output 12v or is it a ground?

I believe it's 12v - I've got a wiring diagram around here somewhere that was sent to me by a VX owner in FL (not on the list - met him by accident during the N. GA/TN meet up on Black Rock Mountain way back) - anyway, he owned a shop and had wired it just so - sent me a scan of a drawing much like yours but it showed how you could use the relay to disable the popper switch unless the VX was in park. I've never accidently hit mine but I could see how it could happen while driving. I'll see if I can find that scan.

-- John

JAMAS
08/07/2011, 05:07 AM
I'll see if I can find that scan.

that would be GREAT, thanks!

MSHardeman
08/07/2011, 11:43 AM
Hmmm... That's odd. I would think it was just a ground. If anything I would think the door indicator on the switch would light up if Any door opened.

Yes, if you wire the popper per Tone's instructions you do tap into a wire in the passenger side door sill from the pin switch that you install. I believe that wire is the one that turns the dome light on when the passenger door is open. This allows the dome light to come on when the rear door is open too. I can't quite remember how it's wired, but because of this the little indicator light on the factory switch does come on no matter what door is open, and since that happens the switch cancels itself out and doesn't allow you to pop the rear door open. So if you open your drivers side door to hit the tail gate release switch it won't activate the popper because the indicator light on the switch will be on due to the fact that your drivers side door is open. I had to disconnect the wire that I had run from the pin switch to the indicator light in order to get the switch to activate the popper when any of the doors were open. I have yet to install a second, dedicated, pin switch to wire to the indicator light to get it to work if the rear door is open.

JAMAS
08/07/2011, 02:30 PM
So if you open your drivers side door to hit the tail gate release switch it won't activate the popper because the indicator light on the switch will be on due to the fact that your drivers side door is open.

That makes sense. Guess I would need 2 pins...or figure something else out.

Raque Thomas
08/07/2011, 05:48 PM
Try this:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2069&highlight=popper+works

MSHardeman
08/07/2011, 07:54 PM
I DID try this Raque...... but I think I wired it wrong. Kept draining my battery so I think I tapped into a wrong circuit feeding the new relay. Haven't gotten in to try and re-wire it, but I will soon. Got the two doors to both unlock at the first push of the remote button, now just need to get the rear door to release on the second push. Thanks for taking the time to do a write up on this Raque.

Moncha
08/11/2011, 08:22 AM
This was done for JAMAS and is subject to change very soon.
After installing my door popper, I was always worried about the accidental "POP!" I moved my switch to a remote area (the lower switch place on the right side of the dash) but I was still worried that I'd be hitting that thing while moving and all my camping crap would end up all over the road being me. I came up with a simple solution whereas the switch would only activate if the VX was in park. I know it's a little extreme but here it goes.
First, you need to have a plan for your switch and popper install. There are lots of (different) instructions for that so, I'm not covering that here. Additional to having the dash apart for the switch install you need to get access to the center console.
After removing the center armrest console, take off the console cover to the transmission area. I did not include pics for that because it's pretty easy to do. Just remember the two screws that hold the A/T gear selector handle and be careful when taking it off as the thumb button and spring inside like to go flying when the handle grip come off.
Once the transmission levers are exposed, you will see a little switch on the right side of the A/T handle. I took off the PRNDL indicator panel for my pics, you don't have to but it makes for better access. (When taking it off, you will get held up by the mini light that is attached. Just twist the lamp for it to come out of the socket for the whole panel to release)
The switch will be/should be marked SS-5GL13-3 and will have two green wires attached to it (Mine has two red wires) as in the photo.

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE DOING!

My current set up is as follows;

1. Run a wire from your popper switch (OEM switch terminal #2 going to relay) to the interlock switch area, then to the relay (The interlock is going to interrupt the circuit between the switch and the relay) .

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3288/6switches_1_.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3288/6switches_1_.jpg)

2. Cut the green wires from switch and tie them together or you lose the brake interlock for the A/T

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3288/medium/IMG_1870.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21308)

3. At the interlock switch area, cut the wire you just ran from the switch to the relay. Connect the two wire ends to the 5GL13-3 switch (One on each terminal)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3288/medium/IMG_1871.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21309)
PROBLEM - This works but every time you hit the brake pedal, the brake interlock solenoid with active causing a click. Drives me crazy!

My new way of doing is as follows;

1. Buy new switch. The switch can be purchased here;
http://us.element14.com/omron-electronic-components/ss-5gl13/micro-switch-roller-lever-spdt/dp/36K3563
(I'm waiting for mine to come in as I just ordered it)

2. Buy two screws "" mm X ""mm long I don't have them as I don't have my switch yet so I can't state a size yet.

3. DO everything as above except for step two , leave the OEM switch as is.

4. Take the two original screws out of the switch.

5. Stack the new switch on top of the old one.

6. Put in the longer screws.

7. Attach the ends of the wire you ran from the switch.

8. TEST!

9. If all works, put everything back together, don't forget to put the mini bulb back in the A/T indicator!

As soon as I get the parts, I'll post up the pics as they should be.

JAMAS
08/11/2011, 08:41 AM
If the OEM interlock switch has an output voltage and not just a ground, then cant we just run the "hot or not" side to the popper button port #1. If the park position switch is in park, then it would output voltage to the "hot or not" side of the wire, thus providing power to the popper button, thus providing power to the relay ...and so on and so on......thusly.

JAMAS
08/11/2011, 08:42 AM
If not, can't we just join up with the green wires instead of a whole new switch?

I guess I dont understand why it has to be one or the other connected to the park position switch.

Moncha
08/11/2011, 09:56 AM
Its been a while and 12 strokes since I've been into this switch but, #1 and #2 make the circuit for the relay of the popper. I do not have that power source running through a switched source (Key on) so it is always hot.

When I tried to just connect to the green wires I had unfavorable results. Either the A/T solenoid was always on which made the interlock for the brake not function or it didn't work at all. I simply can't remember.

I'd have to go back in and redo the whole thing, which I am going to do and I'm going to take extensive notes when I do. I just need the parts so I don't have to take the thing apart again if I choose to do it with the second switch. On the other hand, I really want to do it with the second switch as I'm not comfortable screwing with a OEM safety feature more than I have already. I know it doesn't help you for your quest this weekend and it's my fault for not taking notes...

JAMAS
08/11/2011, 10:52 AM
Any help you provide is GREATLY appreciated. I dont think its your responsibility to take notes for me.

I might do a little more investigating this weekend, then maybe do the work the following weekend. I dont have time/energy/desire to do any work on the vx during the week when I havent seen my boy all day. Thats really the only reason I "schedule" vx days.

I am going to get the volt meter out and see whats what. If there is voltage sent through when connected, or if its a ground. Either way, I may be able to tap into it how it is right now.

This is a fun project already. I appreciate all the help, and I will be sure to document all of my findings/results.

JAMAS
08/15/2011, 05:56 AM
took me two full days between research, testing, and install, but I got it finished.

I am working to get the complete HOW-To done. With pictures, wire colors, parts, etc. But for now....here are a few things.....

I put the button next to the mirror defrost by the arm rest. This allowed me to keep all of the wiring in one easy to work with location. Plus, its easier to reach from either door, or back seat/cargo area.

I put the roller switch behind the e-brake. It WILL NOT work on top of the existing park position roller switch. I tried it, but it doesnt hit any of the right grooves.

So now, my tailgate will ONLY open when the e-brake is pulled.

Moncha
08/15/2011, 06:43 AM
Cool! Looking forward to seeing the write-up. Never too late to change up.

JAMAS
08/16/2011, 08:35 AM
I have completed the how to, but in PDF form. How should I upload that?

tom4bren
08/16/2011, 08:47 AM
In the past, I've uploaded it to the Download Section & asked him to move it to the How2 section. IIRC, the How2 section doesn't allow pdf.

Or better yet:

Post it in this thread & then ask Moncha to add it to the How2 section. You can attach a pdf to a thread post.

JAMAS
08/16/2011, 11:00 AM
Done.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=49

Let me know what you (collective) think

eternal21
08/17/2011, 06:56 AM
I think it looks great, as I recently picked up an OEM hatch switch. The only thing I don't see is a list of parts besides the switch, a relay, and wiring. I.E., what kind of door popper setup did you use? Is there a part number to look for? :)

tom4bren
08/17/2011, 07:02 AM
Good write-up but I'll limit my comments to that since I'll NEVER install a rear door popper. With the spare mounted on my rear door, it's way to heavy to risk any uncontrolled opening.

JAMAS
08/17/2011, 07:05 AM
I think it looks great, as I recently picked up an OEM hatch switch. The only thing I don't see is a list of parts besides the switch, a relay, and wiring. I.E., what kind of door popper setup did you use? Is there a part number to look for? :)

I used the "Tone Popper Kit". It was a kit that was sold by Tone Monday. I think others have put together their own kit. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Looks like there are lots of kits online. Most should work with my instructions. Just check amperage to make sure the gauge of the wire and the size of the inline fuse is correct.

JAMAS
08/17/2011, 07:07 AM
Good write-up but I'll limit my comments to that since I'll NEVER install a rear door popper. With the spare mounted on my rear door, it's way to heavy to risk any uncontrolled opening.

Thanks!

It really doesnt fly open. It just barely opens it enough to make it past the latch. Although, on a hill it might be more.

eternal21
03/05/2012, 11:19 PM
Trying to open/view/save the pdf you listed http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=49#comment35 doesn't work. Anyone else have difficulties?

yellowgizmo99
03/06/2012, 05:56 AM
just tried and doesn't open for me either.

JAMAS
03/06/2012, 06:11 AM
It didnt work a couple weeks ago, so I e-mailed the document.

eternal - I will e-mail the pdf to you.

JAMAS
03/06/2012, 06:12 AM
nevermind, your e-mail is listed as private.

shoot me an e-mail and I will reply

JAMAS-VX@hotmail.com

yellowgizmo99
03/06/2012, 06:31 AM
how about sending to me also, thought I had it but cann't find how. thanks.

eternal21
03/06/2012, 07:05 AM
nevermind, your e-mail is listed as private.

shoot me an e-mail and I will reply

JAMAS-VX@hotmail.com

Emailed....you'll recognize my address :)

JAMAS
03/06/2012, 07:59 AM
Sent.

Sent.

Knigh7s
04/11/2012, 06:38 PM
Jamas, would you mind sending me a copy? I'm about to work on this myself, just a few more pieces to pickup...

Rampage108
04/12/2012, 08:27 AM
i would definitely greatly appreciate
a copy!

JAMAS
04/12/2012, 09:04 AM
Sent.

Sent.

Sent.

dsallade01
06/27/2013, 07:37 AM
Any chance I could get a copy of the PDF file on this?

Thanks in advance,
Denny

Sent.

Sent.

Sent.

JAMAS
06/27/2013, 07:42 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/modules/Downloads/userfile.php?id=51

dsallade01
06/27/2013, 10:35 AM
Thank you sir. I couldn't get the one in the "How To" section to open. This will be great.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules/Downloads/userfile.php?id=51

JAMAS
06/27/2013, 11:57 AM
Thank you sir. I couldn't get the one in the "How To" section to open. This will be great.

I have reuploaded it to that section. It should be good from there now too.

gletom
06/27/2013, 04:05 PM
I paid 50 dollars extra to have it installed with my alarm.

Igor
07/31/2016, 03:54 AM
Reviving this old thread! A lot of the links on this thread do not work, but I have managed to figure out how to install this on my VX. I can post pictures and instructions if everyone would like me to.