PDA

View Full Version : Will you leave her for this?

jdm monkey
08/06/2011, 06:44 PM
Will you leave your VX for this? Range Rover Evoque
http://www.jackohk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2011-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Evoque--800x600.jpg

Looks like a very appealing replacement for the VX.

VX KAT
08/06/2011, 06:51 PM
why yes, I believe I could be seriously tempted.....really sharp!

Riff Raff
08/06/2011, 07:54 PM
Agreed. If money was of no concern; yes, I'd already have a RR Evoque 2-Door Coupe sitting in my garage. I absolutely love it!!! I commend LR/RR for stepping away from the normal 4-door SUV paradox, and once again building a 2-door coupe utility vehicle (besides the infamous D-90 Defender). Just to stay competitive with the other auto makers, there is also a 4-door Evoque available.

Incidentally, I used to own a 1997 (last year of USA model) Limited Edition D-90 Defender serial #127/300 made. It too; like the Evoque was a $50K vehicle, but I quickly sold it after only putting on 1,600 miles (yes, sixteen-hundred) because the D-90 specifically didn't have the "creature comforts" I felt it should have had at that price point with its very cramped shoulder/elbow room and gawd-awful MPG. True; the D-90 Defender is highly off-road capable, but it doesn't even come close to my incomparable 1978 FJ-40 in off-road worthiness and ability.

The RR Evoque is the apitomy of luxury SUV's and its beautiful lines are simply breathtaking from every angle. Like all LR/RR vehicles it is off-road capable, but I would be absolutely terrified in getting it possibly scratched if taken off-road. Thus, the Evoque is likely best served as a very pompus Winter "snow vehicle" to thumb your nose at the less fortunate middle-class while traveling to/from the ski resort. Plus, putting larger oversize off-road tires on the Evoque would take away from its sleek beauty IMHO. That is where the VX differs from the Evoque, in that the VX is more accomodating with larger rubber shoes, and may not bleed as bad if the VX is scratched/scuffed during an off-road encounter. Still, the ultimate VX replacement vehicle would have been the Hummer HX/H4 which is now only a dream due to the recession.

My vote would be to have both-- the RR Evoque Coupe for urban warfare and Wintertime snubbing, and the VX for when it's time to venture off-road in modern style. Having both parked side-by-side in the driveway would really piss-off the neighborhood (and I like doing that).

:bgwb:

jdm monkey
08/06/2011, 08:30 PM
Agreed. If money was of no concern; yes, I'd already have a RR Evoque 2-Door Coupe sitting in my garage. I absolutely love it!!! I commend LR/RR for stepping away from the normal 4-door SUV paradox, and once again building a 2-door coupe utility vehicle (besides the infamous D-90 Defender). Just to stay competitive with the other auto makers, there is also a 4-door Evoque available.

Incidentally, I used to own a 1997 (last year of USA model) Limited Edition D-90 Defender serial #127/300 made. It too; like the Evoque was a $50K vehicle, but I quickly sold it after only putting on 1,600 miles (yes, sixteen-hundred) because the D-90 specifically didn't have the "creature comforts" I felt it should have had at that price point with its very cramped shoulder/elbow room and gawd-awful MPG. True; the D-90 Defender is highly off-road capable, but it doesn't even come close to my incomparable 1978 FJ-40 in off-road worthiness and ability.

The RR Evoque is the apitomy of luxury SUV's and its beautiful lines are simply breathtaking from every angle. Like all LR/RR vehicles it is off-road capable, but I would be absolutely terrified in getting it possibly scratched if taken off-road. Thus, the Evoque is likely best served as a very pompus Winter "snow vehicle" to thumb your nose at the less fortunate middle-class while traveling to/from the ski resort. Plus, putting larger oversize off-road tires on the Evoque would take away from its sleek beauty IMHO. That is where the VX differs from the Evoque, in that the VX is more accomodating with larger rubber shoes, and may not bleed as bad if the VX is scratched/scuffed during an off-road encounter. Still, the ultimate VX replacement vehicle would have been the Hummer HX/H4 which is now only a dream due to the recession.

My vote would be to have both-- the RR Evoque Coupe for urban warfare and Wintertime snubbing, and the VX for when it's time to venture off-road in modern style. Having both parked side-by-side in the driveway would really piss-off the neighborhood (and I like doing that).

:bgwb:

Agreed. Its a good addition to the collection. :) VX is irreplaceable!!! LOL

Ebenezr
08/06/2011, 08:32 PM
Neayah.

Triathlete
08/06/2011, 10:16 PM
Nope...just an upscale rebadged ford. :)

VXR
08/07/2011, 01:54 AM
http://www.jackohk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2011-Land-Rover-Range-Rover-Evoque--800x600.jpg

just needs some spinners on those rims to make the look complete:yesb:

Cobrajet
08/07/2011, 06:43 AM

Is it just me, or does the grill looks like a teenager wearing braces?

No, this would not replace my VX!

Marlin
08/07/2011, 06:43 AM

Yep, I believe it is about as offroad worthy as the rest of the junk rovers built since 2002ish:

Its not even off road capable! I just perused it on the rover site. It is their smallest and most fuel efficient LRX car based vehicle!

"Pure - the purest expression of the LRX concept car."

CAR CAR CAR, the VX is not a CAR
:mady::mady::flame2::mady::mady: You guys are killing me, first you compare some Acura/Honda hatchback to the VX, now some Ford car. You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody, and it has to be able to go off road.

This thing is a rebadged Ford Edge.

http://www.automobilemodels.net/cars/images/Ford/ford-edge-1.jpg

Osteomata
08/07/2011, 08:17 AM
I believe the original question was "Will you leave your VX for this?" NOT "Is this a suitable replacement for the VX that has the same capabilities and characteristics?" I mean, you are answering a completely different question. Of course it can't match the VX for the things you do with your truck, but it would be far superior for the things I do with mine. I drive to work on roads, run errands on roads, drive family and friends around and on trips on roads, haul some stuff in the back and occasionally on the roof, but again, I do it on roads. On occasion I have to go over a curb, drive up a grassy hill, or through a moderately deep puddle after rain flooding. That's it, and the Evoque would have no trouble with those functions. The VX is a fantastic truck in both appearance and capability, but come one it has its faults, number one and two being ride comfort and fuel efficiency. If we flipped the question around, do you think the RR Evoque owners would answer with anything other than disbelief that this was even a question? Ride comfort, interior styling, efficiency, oil burn etc etc as they reeled off a lengthy list of characteristics in which their vehicle is vastly superior. I sometimes get a little frustrated reading car/truck enthusiasts rip on some vehicle because it does not perform at some standard that 99.5% of the driving public has no interest in meeting.

Yep, I believe it is about as offroad worthy as the rest of the junk rovers built since 2002ish:

Its not even off road capable! I just perused it on the rover site. It is their smallest and most fuel efficient LRX car based vehicle!

"Pure - the purest expression of the LRX concept car."

CAR CAR CAR, the VX is not a CAR
:mady::mady::flame2::mady::mady: You guys are killing me, first you compare some Acura/Honda hatchback to the VX, now some Ford car. You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody, and it has to be able to go off road.

This thing is a rebadged Ford Edge.

http://www.automobilemodels.net/cars/images/Ford/ford-edge-1.jpg

VXorado
08/07/2011, 08:31 AM
I agree with you Marlin, all but...

You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody

Jeep Cherokee is a unibody and a very capable offroader.

Marlin
08/07/2011, 08:33 AM
I understand what you are saying, but why would you leave your VX for that? If we are playing the question that way, would you leave your VX for a jet plane, perhaps a helicopter, maybe a Chevy Aveo or Nissan Leaf?

I interpreted that the question as the Rover as a replacement for the VX. That thing is not a replacement for the VX by any stretch of the imagination, no more that a pair of socks is a replacement for a pair of boots.

I do get what your saying about the VX, with the exception of the head turning stares, what is the purpose of you driving the VX? Not saying you shouldn't, but if mpg,reliability and luxury are your goal, I would find a swagger wagon, those things are sweet!!!!! My friend has one, gets good mpg, super quiet, very versatile, can even tow a small boat!! Its also half the price as that rover.

http://www.automedia.com/blog/Gallery/Driven-2011-Toyota-Sienna-Swagger-Wagon%5C01_H8E4247.jpg

:bgwb:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, but seriously, his van is pretty sweet as a family vehicle.

Marlin
08/07/2011, 08:37 AM
I agree with you Marlin, all but...

Jeep Cherokee is a unibody and a very capable offroader.

I am blocking future posts from you because of that comment:)

The new cherokee is not capable, its IFS and IRS, no more solid axle at all, imagine the pain of trying to lift and deal with CVs and so on:(

VXorado
08/07/2011, 09:54 AM
I am blocking future posts from you because of that comment:)

The new cherokee is not capable, its IFS and IRS, no more solid axle at all, imagine the pain of trying to lift and deal with CVs and so on:(

Agreed, the new Jeep GRAND cherokee is not a good offroad rig.

The unibody Jeep CHEROKEE XJ with F&R solid axles is a great platform to build for offroading. Bet you didn't know it was a unibody :sighgray::p:laughing:
http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/images/F3559976.jpg

Back to your comment, I use rear solid axle (other than the H1) & 4 low transfer case as a minimum benchmark for offroading platforms rather than frame design. The Cherokee proves that unibodies can be used on more than just cars.

Osteomata
08/07/2011, 10:19 AM
Well aside from the meaningless non sequitur regarding a plane or a helicopter, your position boils down to the same "if you don't use the vehicle the way I think you should use it, why have it?" I just don't find that a useful arguement. I have the VX because I like the way it looks and enjoy what it can do even in my limited exploration. There are many many vehicles that I would consider perfectly suited for me, and would consider replacing the VX with if funding were not an issue, but that list would be narrowed down rather quickly by appearance/styling, as it is for most of us.

I understand what you are saying, but why would you leave your VX for that? If we are playing the question that way, would you leave your VX for a jet plane, perhaps a helicopter, maybe a Chevy Aveo or Nissan Leaf?

I interpreted that the question as the Rover as a replacement for the VX. That thing is not a replacement for the VX by any stretch of the imagination, no more that a pair of socks is a replacement for a pair of boots.

I do get what your saying about the VX, with the exception of the head turning stares, what is the purpose of you driving the VX? Not saying you shouldn't, but if mpg,reliability and luxury are your goal, I would find a swagger wagon, those things are sweet!!!!! My friend has one, gets good mpg, super quiet, very versatile, can even tow a small boat!! Its also half the price as that rover.

:bgwb:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, but seriously, his van is pretty sweet as a family vehicle.

Vendetta
08/07/2011, 10:27 AM
I might swap my headlamps for this thing's, but other than that, it doesn't appeal to me in the least.

EDIT: And just in case someone takes me literally... "don't." This isn't the mods forum. I just like the LED layout is all.

TheGanzman
08/07/2011, 10:28 AM
I've got my eye on the new Porsche "Cajun" myself. If they don't screw it up, and if they KEEP a 2 door option as a choice, I might be a buyer in a couple years...

VX KAT
08/07/2011, 12:22 PM
I've got my eye on the new Porsche "Cajun" myself. If they don't screw it up, and if they KEEP a 2 door option as a choice, I might be a buyer in a couple years...

AW GANZ!!!! Why'd ya have to do that?? :_brickwal
I haven't been keeping up with my AutoWeek mag for many many months even years and I'd never even heard of the Cajun....
so I googled it....big mistake.........:drool2::drool2::drool::drool:
Like it wayyyyyyy more than the Cayenne!

We were in Phoenix for several hrs on Friday.... always an enjoyable past time to see all the monied vehicles down there. Think I saw 6 Cayennes in the first 1/2 hour.....of course we were in the Biltmore area so that explains a lot of it.

VX KAT
08/07/2011, 12:25 PM
I might swap my headlamps for this thing's, but other than that, it doesn't appeal to me in the least.

EDIT: And just in case someone takes me literally... "don't." This isn't the mods forum. I just like the LED layout is all.

Oh, so you really like those Toyota Sienna headlights, huh?
j/k :p

Ebenezr
08/07/2011, 12:40 PM
I might not leave her for that but if she keeps misfiring I may dump her in the river!!!!!

jdm monkey
08/07/2011, 01:08 PM
I might not leave her for that but if she keeps misfiring I may dump her in the river!!!!!
Lol. DO yo have coolant in your spark plug hole too?

That Porsche Cajun is siiickkk!!!

Ebenezr
08/07/2011, 01:45 PM
No jdm but I just got off my duff again, cleared the codes and misfired my way to the auto parts store and bought a can of Seafoam. I dumped it in the tank and just went 5 miles with no misfires!!!!!!!!! Bad gas or clogged injector ??

Ebenezr
08/07/2011, 01:51 PM
Is it just me, or does the grill looks like a teenager wearing braces?

No, this would not replace my VX!

The grill looks like a teen in braces but don't you realize VX looks like a big roller skate??? ha ha ha ha. :):bomb:

Vendetta
08/07/2011, 02:47 PM
Oh, so you really like those Toyota Sienna headlights, huh?
j/k :p

You _must_ be kidding, 'cause those Sienna lamps are just... ugh! :bgwo:

Ldub
08/07/2011, 04:44 PM
I haven't been keeping up with my AutoWeek mag for many many months even years and I'd never even heard of the Cajun....

We were in Phoenix for several hrs on Friday.... always an enjoyable past time to see all the monied vehicles down there. Think I saw 6 Cayennes in the first 1/2 hour.....of course we were in the Biltmore area so that explains a lot of it.

Kinda nice...:_thinking

http://autoslope.com/wpps/cars/porsche-cajun/porsche-cajun-170964-1024x768.jpg

But I'm guess'n I'll neVar see one on the trails...:laughing:

Needs at the very least, a VX style gas door...& more --->http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070623144512/uncyclopedia/images/2/2f/Cowbell2.gif

Triathlete
08/07/2011, 05:39 PM
That cajun looks like a 911 on steroids. Considering that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999 (you get the point) % will never see dirt....I'd rather have the 911. Better yet, I saw a GT3 at my doctor the other day...saweeeeeeet. And of course it was Porche red! :)

Ldub
08/07/2011, 06:22 PM
That cajun looks like a 911 on steroids. Considering that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999 (you get the point) % will never see dirt....I'd rather have the 911. Better yet, I saw a GT3 at my doctor the other day...saweeeeeeet. And of course it was Porche red! :)

I was thinking along the same lines...but my impression was the bastard love child of a 911 & a VX.

Bob Barker
08/07/2011, 07:21 PM
Ford sold LR and Jaguar to Tata motors in 2008. Not a rebadged Ford at all. I'd have one either way, some really, REALLY trick tech on that Evoque!

JHarris1385
08/07/2011, 07:25 PM
Only thing that will come close is the Rally Fighter...and it took me a while to like the RF.

Or this: http://bowler-offroad.com/Nem_2009/Nemesis_intro.htm

TheGanzman
08/07/2011, 09:03 PM

You shoulda called me - you were a mile or two from my house...

wekilled
08/07/2011, 09:30 PM
Naw, way to "civilized and refined" for me. I'd trade for a Rally Fighter or a VBL Panhard but that's about it. Its more of a personal thing, just looks too generic like it would get lost in a parking lot full of soccer-mom mobiles.

tombrinkley23
08/08/2011, 06:08 AM
I would not leave her. Maybe a threesome would be in order.

H3_VX
08/08/2011, 07:10 AM

Wow, that cajun looks cool. I still think the vx is cooler though. Maybe pick up a used cajun in 3 or 4 years as long as they don't change the 2 door concept.

vt_maverick
08/08/2011, 08:41 AM
H3 aren't you supposed to be banging on a bank door somewhere? ;)

Gussie2000
08/08/2011, 03:17 PM

You saying Ford EDGE looking alike ? ;)

Marlin
08/08/2011, 03:34 PM
You saying Ford EDGE looking alike ? ;)

Nope, I am saying its the same vehicle rebadged....which it is.:bgwb: