PDA

View Full Version : Time to get an easy out kit...Errrr.

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 11:30 AM
I was replacing my EGR valve and those *&^%$# bolts just wanted to cross thread into the plenum and Gee well what do ya know one did I busted the bolt off in the intake. A ten minute project is now and hour plus and can't do till saturday. :waab: I haven't drank in 30 years. Sometimes I just wish I did!!!! Errrrr. :mad:

tom4bren
08/11/2011, 11:58 AM
When yer done. Bring it up to VA. I gots 2 busted off bolts for the rear cladding.

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 12:03 PM
When yer done. Bring it up to VA. I gots 2 busted off bolts for the rear cladding.

but at least yours is running!!

tom4bren
08/11/2011, 12:08 PM
Yah, but my rear end flutters in the breeze.

circmand
08/11/2011, 12:28 PM
Yah, but my rear end flutters in the breeze.

Put some pants on

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 12:31 PM
Alright for those who want to chime in on my difficulties pleeez do. At the time my trans was redone the trans man asked me if I had misfiring: no. He said well it is and thought maybe I had a coil pack problem but I wanted it back so I took it home without him checking the problem out a week ago.

I have had an over all loss of power that is esp bad when trying to excellerate from 35 or 40. depress the pedal and no response. hold it there and in 5 to 8 seconds the engine begins to kick in and excellerate then it will throw my back aggainst the seat and behave like nothings wrong. esp in the higher rpm.

My opinion has been all along that it is a fuel air mixture - fuel delivery issue.

I replaced the fuel filter. nothing
I cleaned the MAF. nothing.
I dumped seafoam into the tank. ..ran great 5 miles then prob back.

Ipulled the codes: P0300 random misfiring and o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1.

I replaced the o2 sensor on both forward banks. nothing.
I replaced the plugs. nothing.

I have been thinking bad gas all along and am down to a quarter tank. I filled a new tank the night beforre the trans died. so index of suspicion up.

What could the trans man have done if it is something his actions caused???

I pulled the EGR valvelast night. I plugged the plenum inlet and laid the EGR valve on the top of the engine and turned the engine on with the harness connected to the EGR valve. The engine was pretty much up to temp. So I revved the engine and watched the EGR valve pinion . . It did not move at all- ever. Did not open. So with my backyards mechanics mind I figured just maybe that valve is not responding. So I got a new one and now here I am with a broken bolt and still misfiring engine.

If this is still misfiring after I whip this EGR prob and get new gas then the only thing I can think of is to buy a coil pack and play musical chairs with it in the hopes that it will finally hit on a cylinder that had a bad coil pack. but wouldn't I have thrown a P0301 -0306 code? by now???

Oh and I checked the fuel pressure with a tester on the rail. With the key on it pops up to 38. After starting it drop to a steady 31-34 psi.

My idle is fine. when it does get going it is smooth. ???? any thoughts.???....maybe its the Throttle position sensor.... Gee I will buy one those next.

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 12:37 PM
:waag: I Want My Power Back

I'm singing: HELP! I need somebody. Help not just anybody.........

tom4bren
08/11/2011, 12:43 PM
Sorry to jack your thread before you were ready.

Is there any way to easily tell if your timing belt jumped a tooth. Kinda sounds like a timinig issue to me.

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 12:50 PM
Sorry to jack your thread before you were ready.

Is there any way to easily tell if your timing belt jumped a tooth. Kinda sounds like a timinig issue to me.

All I can say is "OH cr***p" I didnot think of that. But there is some intermittent nature to the prob. Like after dumping seafoam in it ran great for several miles and thought this stuff just is the cats meow. Not.

Ebenezr
08/11/2011, 01:17 PM
In the manual it talks of testing coils with an ohm testing meter. Anyone ever done this. ?????

Gussie2000
08/11/2011, 02:50 PM
:waag: I Want My Power Back

I'm singing: HELP! I need somebody. Help not just anybody.........

My brother-in-law axiom had the same but very same issues

My mech did the following :

Examined the entire engine and noticed there was a crack in one of the valve covers ( Hopefully this doesn't apply to you );After the valve cover was repaired compression testing was performed to make sure engine was completely seal off,EGR was cleaned out,( OMG how clogged that son of a B.... were )

The mech proceeded to replaced one of the coils wiring because it was faulty and causing the misfire ( You may want to have ALL coils & wiring checked for proper operacion ) The truck won't move foward on low RPMS,but take off like a rocket on high RPMS ( Spark plugs were also replaced ) Don't try to cut corners and get the best ones out there.

The mech also replaced fuel pump,after new one was installed he tested to make sure wiring was not faulty.

Transmission was rebuilt because it was shifting roughly,no shifting or stall just like your VX.

And finally radiatior was replaced and brand-new antifreeze to make sure car can be just cool during the summer.

After all that was taken care off axiom is running like a champ :yesb:

Ldub
08/11/2011, 05:35 PM
A few random thoughts...

If it were the timing belt, it wouldn't run right at any rpm.

You don't need a new coil pack to play "musical chairs", though the random misfire code isn't pointing to a specific coil pack, which makes it hard to know which one to switch first. (to see if the misfire code moves with it after resetting the ecu)

Any unmetered air getting into the system via leaks in any vacuum controlled system will wreak havoc & throw "codes-a-plenty"...:yesgray:

As a last, or maybe first resort, try to find a VX Bro or Sis who is sympathetic to your problem, & switch ECU's, to see if that's the culprit...:_wrench:

:luck:

Y33TREKker
08/11/2011, 09:52 PM
Fuel pressure regulator? Very common VX ailment it seems, and a faulty one would be causing the symptoms you've described.

Ebenezr
08/12/2011, 05:34 AM
Fuel pressure regulator? Very common VX ailment it seems, and a faulty one would be causing the symptoms you've described.

I did check the fuel pressure as mentioned above. It was 38 with key on and 32-34 with the engine on. I'm thinking now that may be low. Does anyone know what it should be. I can't seem to dig up this info.

tom4bren
08/12/2011, 07:11 AM
If it were the timing belt, it wouldn't run right at any rpm.

Right but would show up more to the Butt Dyno during acceleration rather than RPM related. Remember the timing lag on the old MOPAR engines???

Y33TREKker
08/12/2011, 09:54 AM
I did check the fuel pressure as mentioned above. It was 38 with key on and 32-34 with the engine on. I'm thinking now that may be low. Does anyone know what it should be. I can't seem to dig up this info.
Is it possible it was just checked during one of those "good" moments though?

And the downloadable manual suggests that "Key On" fuel pressure should be between 333-376 kpa (48-55 psi).

If the problem is intermittent like you described, who knows if even the comparably low pressures you read remain constant under actual load/driving conditions.

Ebenezr
08/12/2011, 10:00 AM
Is it possible it was just checked during one of those "good" moments though?

And the downloadable manual suggests that "Key On" fuel pressure should be between 333-376 kpa (48-55 psi).

If the problem is intermittent like you described, who knows if even the comparably low pressures you read remain constant under actual load/driving conditions.

Hmm. I am curiious where you found that in the manual.? I couldn't find it. Thinkin then I should go for FPR replacement.

Y33TREKker
08/12/2011, 10:42 AM
Hmm. I am curiious where you found that in the manual.? I couldn't find it. Thinkin then I should go for FPR replacement.
My initial search term was "fuel pressure", and when following one of the "fuel pressure regulator" search results, I saw a link that said "fuel system diagnosis". After that I used "fuel system diagnosis" as my search term, and the fuel pressure readings were listed under a few different topics.

Most of the results were in section 6E - Engine\ 6VE1 3.5L Engine Driveability and Emissions.

Ebenezr
08/12/2011, 11:01 AM
My initial search term was "fuel pressure", and when following one of the "fuel pressure regulator" search results, I saw a link that said "fuel system diagnosis". After that I used "fuel system diagnosis" as my search term, and the fuel pressure readings were listed under a few different topics.

Most of the results were in section 6E - Engine\ 6VE1 3.5L Engine Driveability and Emissions.

Thanks. I bumped into similar info googling it.

Ebenezr
08/12/2011, 07:37 PM
Well I didn't need an easy out. Just took a 12mm nut and screwed it down on the remaining broken bolt then filled it with weld creating a new bolt head. It worked and I backed the bolt out. :)

yellowgizmo99
08/13/2011, 01:03 PM
might want to run a tap in it.

IndianaVX
08/13/2011, 08:47 PM
I tested my coil packs with a meter. I wasn't really sure what the numbers told me, but found out that none of my coils were bad.....

Here is my post, and directions. As it turned out, I had a plugged cat converter, after blown head gasket. You might have a muffler shop test your exhaust pressure. Crazy sounding I know.....cat converter causing po300, but that's what it was.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20050&highlight=Coil+testing

Or type in "coil pack testing resistance" in search.

IndianaVX
08/13/2011, 09:06 PM
Re reading your post again, I would defiantly have your exhaust pressure checked. I found a muffler shop that charged like 15 bucks to test pre and post cat pressures. He drilled small holes in the pipe for his tester, then welded the holes back up. but some shops may use 02 sensor holes. My truck idled fine and ran fin to q out 30 mph. Also check the big nut on bottom of EGR, where the tube goes into the plenum under EGR.
Again, good luck

Ebenezr
08/14/2011, 05:54 AM
Re reading your post again, I would defiantly have your exhaust pressure checked. I found a muffler shop that charged like 15 bucks to test pre and post cat pressures. He drilled small holes in the pipe for his tester, then welded the holes back up. but some shops may use 02 sensor holes. My truck idled fine and ran fin to q out 30 mph. Also check the big nut on bottom of EGR, where the tube goes into the plenum under EGR.
Again, good luck

Thanks. Both cats are fairly new. Less than a year. I'm getting suspicious of fuel press I googled info which seems to say my pressure is too low so today's project is to break I I mean fix the fpr .

Ebenezr
08/15/2011, 11:01 AM
Well I think the verdict just came in. I took the VX into town for its 2 week trans check and it gently misfired and set codes about 8 times all the way there. (about 8 miles). I had an hour to blow so I had an oil change place clean the injectors and throttle body. No misfires and no code setting all the way home. :)

JAMAS
08/15/2011, 11:06 AM
Nice! Perhaps add some BG 44k to help clean out the rest of the system as well.

Y33TREKker
08/15/2011, 11:54 AM
Especially nice when the fix turns out to be a halfway easy one with no specialized tools required.