PDA

View Full Version : Replace Map Lights - how?

JAMAS
08/17/2011, 12:43 PM
I need to replace a map light that is burnt out. I know the bulb and have already ordered some LED replacements, but I am not sure how to remove the lens to then get at the bulb. I am assuming a screw driver and pry it open.

Anyone have any better tips than that?

VXorado
08/17/2011, 06:18 PM
Thats it, a small screw driver will work just fine. I actually broke a lens putting it back on, I was in a rush and pushed it into its slot backwards... oops. So its pretty easy IF you pay attention.

jdm monkey
08/18/2011, 02:41 PM
You'll see a pry tab on the lens, use a small flat head to pry it open.

JAMAS
08/18/2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow.

Moncha
08/18/2011, 05:17 PM
Whatever you use to get in there with, when you get the lens off, the bulbs are pretty hard to get to. If you "stick" something in there to pry the bulb out, be carefule as you can short out that circuit pretty easy, use something plastic or wood.

Ldub
08/18/2011, 05:27 PM
Whatever you use to get in there with, when you get the lens off, the bulbs are pretty hard to get to. If you "stick" something in there to pry the bulb out, be carefule as you can short out that circuit pretty easy, use something plastic or wood.

May I recommend pulling the fuse first?...:smilewink

RickOKC
08/18/2011, 06:07 PM
May I recommend pulling the fuse first?...:smilewink
Now you just sound like the Shop Manual:

"Replacing wiper blades: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."
"Installing replacement gasoline: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."
"Vacuuming carpet: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."

:laughing: :rotate: :laughing:

Kidding, of course - I'm glad this topic came up since I also have a map light out. Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone!

JAMAS
08/19/2011, 06:17 AM
Now you just sound like the Shop Manual:

"Replacing wiper blades: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."
"Installing replacement gasoline: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."
"Vacuuming carpet: Step 1, Disconnect the battery..."

:laughing: :rotate: :laughing:

Kidding, of course - I'm glad this topic came up since I also have a map light out. Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone!

That is actually what the shop manual suggests before changing the map light. Sounded a bit much for the task.

JAMAS
08/19/2011, 10:57 AM
I took the bulb out to show the correct size to the "bulb guy", and that was a pain. I pulled the fuse, left the switch off and wedged it out.

However, I have a couple questions...

1. I pulled the metal clip thing out when I pulled the light out. I put it back in, but is that a permanently affixed item, or does go in and out? In my opinion, it felt like it was designed to move freely.

2. It seems that the metal contacts are touching some wierd foam stuff, is that a fire hazard, or safe by design?

Also, for anyone else trying this. The plastic covers pop off from mirror side to back side. So the tabs are on the back side, the screw driver goes on the mirror side to "pop" it off.

JAMAS
08/20/2011, 04:53 PM
I took the bulb out to show the correct size to the "bulb guy", and that was a pain. I pulled the fuse, left the switch off and wedged it out.

However, I have a couple questions...

1. I pulled the metal clip thing out when I pulled the light out. I put it back in, but is that a permanently affixed item, or does go in and out? In my opinion, it felt like it was designed to move freely.

2. It seems that the metal contacts are touching some wierd foam stuff, is that a fire hazard, or safe by design?

Also, for anyone else trying this. The plastic covers pop off from mirror side to back side. So the tabs are on the back side, the screw driver goes on the mirror side to "pop" it off.

I have answered my own questions....kinda... so I figured I would quote myself....

1. the wire is soldered to the bracket and the bracket slides in and out of the plastic. So, no harm done.

2. I guess the foam is okay to touch. Wierd to me, but whatever.

One more tip....Our rear view mirror comes off the windshield in an awesomely ingenious way.....

Disconnect the wire from the back. Then twist the mirror connection to the windshield and slide off.