PDA

View Full Version : cracked headlight help

boomer27
08/21/2011, 01:24 PM
The passenger side headlight on my VX is cracked. The rest of the parts work fine, but just the clear plexi part is cracked. Is there a place that sells just the cover, or do I need to order a new complete headlight? I know there are some companies that make covers, but I'm not sure if those are covers that go over the stock clear lens or replace it completely. Thanks.

Ldub
08/21/2011, 01:37 PM
Start searching the salvage yards & ebay.

As a temp measure, I did see a clear film specifically designed for such an application at the auto parts store the other day...might get you by for a while...:_confused

rowhard
08/21/2011, 02:42 PM
Start searching the salvage yards & ebay.

As a temp measure, I did see a clear film specifically designed for such an application at the auto parts store the other day...might get you by for a while...:_confused

maybe a auto glass shop too. Me, I would use this clear film that the dubster is talking about, build it up, then sand (see my thread 'zen and the art of of headlight polishing') then have a tint shop cover it in a lexan. If the crack is narrow enough, you might not even see your repair. Worth a try and will save you a few bucks to boot.

RickOKC
08/21/2011, 05:46 PM
In the VX Parts Book, it shows the "lens only" in addition to the complete headlight assembly. Whether the lens is actually available as a separate piece - I don't know :(.

Part number is 89721-24470 Right (passenger US) or 89721-24480 Left (driver side US.) IF it's available, it would be about $23 per side vs. $379 per side for the entire assembly.

Call St Charles Isuzu, ask for Merlin, mention this site for a discount & free shipping (800) 727-8066.

boomer27
08/21/2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions!

Y33TREKker
08/22/2011, 09:37 AM
You might also check with one of those businesses that does insurance repairs for cracked windshields. If they came up with a process for repairing windshields rather than replacing them, they might have come up with something similar for headlights given the cost of newer style automotive headlights.

boomer27
08/22/2011, 04:52 PM
Called St Charles today... I can order just the covers for about 25$ each, which is better than 300$ each. I think I may have melt the glue that holds the cover in place to replace it.

H3_VX
08/22/2011, 05:06 PM
Called St Charles today... I can order just the covers for about 25$ each, which is better than 300$ each. I think I may have melt the glue that holds the cover in place to replace it.

Wow, it might be cheaper for me to order new covers than it would be to restore them. i would need to buy a cordless drill (I curremtly only own a corded one) and the kit would run me about $20 as well. And it still probably wouldn't look as good as brand new covers.

RickOKC
08/22/2011, 05:18 PM
Wow, it might be cheaper for me to order new covers than it would be to restore them. i would need to buy a cordless drill (I curremtly only own a corded one) and the kit would run me about $20 as well. And it still probably wouldn't look as good as brand new covers.I actually chose to use my old corded drill over my cordless because it was higher RPM. :)

Zu4two
08/22/2011, 10:18 PM
That part number will not buy you a replacement lens. Even though the illustration clearly shows it as the lens and that used to be what you would get when you ordered that P/N, now when you place an order with that number you will get the rubber gasket that attaches to the outside of the headlight assembly.
I know this because I placed an order with this p/n and that's what I got.

I think Isuzu was losing too much money providing the replacement lens, instead of selling the headlight for $400.

Y33TREKker
08/23/2011, 09:38 AM
This stuff might be another option. I used it to build a plexiglass enclosure/mounting platform for some audio equipment, and the stuff is still holding after three years.

SureHold® Plastic Surgery - Ace Hardware

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1390216

I know a big concern for our headlights would be whether it ended up drying clear, and it says it does in the product description, but I personally think that depends on the specific formulation of plastic of the item. It worked well and dried clear on the plexiglass (dark smoked) I used, but no guarantee. If nothing else, it would be a step towards preventing the crack from getting larger. If it dried perfectly clear, even better.