PDA

View Full Version : TOD surges with manual hubs in 4X2

svbigtuna
08/24/2011, 09:19 PM
So, manual hubs are on, but what is with the surging I can feel along with the TOD lights going from 1 to 3 to 1 to 3? This is happening at different speeds. I haven't gone above 50mph. Oh yea important info is that it is happening in 4X2 selection.

Any thoughts would be great.

VXorado
08/24/2011, 09:51 PM
Not too sure how u would feel surges if u properly switched the ecu to the resistors rather than the electromagnetic clutch. My lights flicker a bit in 2wd mode and will usually show 3 lights more than 1 light. It's really a non issue since the signal is going to ground.

The vx feels different in 2wd and imo not in a good way. I prefer to drive the vx in normal mode and i use the 2wd option only for cv problems from trails or playing around.

svbigtuna
08/24/2011, 10:39 PM
Sorry, some confusion here. This symtom is with the hubs only not TOD bypass.

VXorado
08/25/2011, 09:14 AM
Okay, driving with the hubs unlocked can freak out the tod system if the ecu notices the front tires spinning at a different rate than the rear tires. Your tire sizes (from front to rear) may be off slightly from wear & the TOD is noticing the difference. The TOD system can't make a change if they are free spinning in the wheel hub and could keep trying over & over.

If you are running your hubs unlocked with TOD engaged, you're losing power to the ground & not saving wear & tear because the axle is still spinning.

There isn't a 4x2 mode, just AWD & 4low. I would look into the off switch if you really want to run the hubs unlocked. Like I said in my first post, there are only a few advantages to running 2wd + hubs unlocked all the time but its a much better idea than just running hubs unlocked

Triathlete
08/25/2011, 10:02 AM
I run my hubs unlocked all the time when driving on the road. I think even though the axle shafts are spinning you still save some wear and tear on the cv's. The abscence of pressure on the joints is good for something...of course it would be more so if they didn't spin but it helps.

svbigtuna
08/25/2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys, I will make my next task to install the TOD switch.