PDA

View Full Version : My baby is sick!!!

kbredd
08/28/2011, 09:25 PM
It's 110 most days here in Texas. My VX started to run hot. Maybe because it's 110 degrees, but previous owner modified the air intake. It has a poorly done breather. Not alot of air flow.

Let her cool down but now she begins chugging & making gas knock noises when I press excellerator and no increase in power. Got her home thinking (Hoping) fuel filter.

Changed the fuel filter & crossed my fingers went for a test drive...sadly still chugging & knocking when gas pedal is depressed for more power.

What could it be? Need some help.

Triathlete
08/28/2011, 09:48 PM
Any smoke, cel on, rescent fuel up...?

kbredd
08/28/2011, 09:55 PM
No smoking & had 1/2 tank of fuel. Not sure what "cel on" is.

Triathlete
08/28/2011, 10:06 PM
Check engine light=cel

Could fuel have been bad?

kbredd
08/28/2011, 10:17 PM
Taking it to shop next week to get codes checked. Hoping for the best will update or cry when I have more news!

Ldub
08/29/2011, 05:49 AM
Taking it to shop next week to get codes checked. Hoping for the best will update or cry when I have more news!

Have you checked the crankcase oil?

nfpgasmask
08/29/2011, 09:13 AM
Things I will guess right off:

Could be a clogged EGR or problems with the Fuel Pressure Regulator. But overheating is another issue. Have your coolant level and condition checked.

Bart

Triathlete
08/29/2011, 09:39 AM
Yea, I was kind of thinking the two were not related.
Also might want to check your spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled and are of the recomended type just to eliminate some of the basic stuff.

p_justin13
08/29/2011, 09:58 AM
When I had put on my aftermarket air filter I had to make a custom box to semi seat around it because I was having major issues on really hot days with it just sucking in hot air from around the engine. As for the chugging, same as everyone else check the staples egr valve, plugs, and fuel pressure regulator all cheap and quick fixes for the most part. Good luck!

Ebenezr
08/29/2011, 10:05 AM
Good luck Here is an email to merlin to recap my own problems - and not to steal your thread but may give ideas.

Merlin. You have a good reputation among the VX.info people of which I am one and so I was hopeful that you might be willing to comment on this problem.

5 weeks ago my transmission lost 3rd and 4th gears so I brought it to a local transmission man with a good reputation. He rebuilt the trans. When he was done the engine had a misfire. I pulled the codes: random misfires and o2 sensor S1 B1. I replaced the o2 sensor. Still had the problem. over the following 2 weeks I went crazy trying to fix this problem. and here is what I did.

1. replaced fuel filter.

2. seafoam in tank, twice.

3. replaced EGR valve.

4. replaced IAC

5. replaced throttle position sensor.

6. cleaned throttle body while in place.

7. replaced air filter.

8. Cleaned MAF sensor.

9. Checked fuel prssure on the rail.: 38 key on. 32-34 engine on. Fuel release dropped it to 20 while I filled 2/3 quart of fuel in 30 seconds. the engine idled fine.

10. replaced ALL O2 sensors.

11. replaced all spark plugs.

12. checked resistance on all coils: good.

I did all these things out of desperation, stupidity and the because after clearing codes eventually a new different code would set. Like a different o2 sensor, but always random misfires.

2 weeks ago I brought it back to the trans man. He has been going over it and is stumped. He replaced the MAF no results. He is now getting a TPS code!!. We think ECU problems now.

The problem is roughness and loss of power at lower rpm and lower speeds. The character or degree of it is intermittent. I have gone miles thinking its fixed and then later in the day go somewhere with it rough as heck. If one keeps it at a constant 40mph there will be a subtle loss of speed and power - then it senses the problem and kicks in and overcomes. when it is doing this i can press the excellerator pedal a little with no reponse and hold it there then after 5-10 seconds it kicks in and throws me back in the seat with power and smoothness. It will run GREAT at high speeds and rpms.

If you have any thoughts we have not covered please let me know. Do you think an ECU is next??

Here is what Merlin says:

Back in the beginning I would’ve guessed intake manifold gaskets- very common on these engines and a common cause for random misfire codes. They also mainly impact low-speed (low vacuum) driveabilty. But now that you’re getting different/strange codes, I would be concerned that you have an engine wiring harness and/or ECM issue. I would have your technician clean and lubricate all the electrical connections he had to make, as well as cleaning and checking some of the harness ground connections- even triple-check the cleanliness and condition of the battery terminals. In a misfire situation, you might also want to have the compression tested- a leaking head gasket will cause a random misfire as well and show up as low compression on one cylinder- although that doesn’t seem quite as common on these engines.

Sorry you’re having so much trouble…I certainly wish you luck though.

Talked to my trans man today and he thinks my exhaust is plugged.....

and I'm going to put a smiley after I say this; :happyface Even though I haven't had my VX in weeks now!! Errrrr!. I wish you well figuring yours out.!!

Cobrajet
08/29/2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder if this is another case of wiring harness shorting out. That could cause all kinds of issues, for either/both of you.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8696&highlight=wiring+harness+short

nfpgasmask
08/29/2011, 12:55 PM
My mom had a similar issue with her Trooper, running rough and chuggy and throwing random CELs and it was a clogged cat.

Bart

Triathlete
08/29/2011, 01:29 PM
X2 on the clpgged cat. That will cause all kinds of strange problems and a loss of power.

kbredd
08/30/2011, 11:03 AM
I'm leaning towards clogged cat. It could throw strange codes & cause my overheating issue. Will hear back from shop on codes later today. But not before heading to other shop to pick up my other vehicle for the low price of $1800 to fix A/C leak & fan clutch that went out Sat.
I should have gone in to auto mechanics rather than paramedics!

IndianaVX
08/30/2011, 10:25 PM
I was, or am joining n on the clogged cat. A decent muffler shop can test pre and post cat pressure pretty cheap. But something to consider is what clogs a cat? Well, coolant running thru the cat does a pretty good job of clogging it, meaning head gasket! Good luck on figuring it out. Let me know if I can help. Been there.....speaking from experience