PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a root canal?

RabidPony
09/16/2011, 01:57 PM
Anyone? It's looking like one may be in my not too distant future and I am none too happy about it. I've never even had a damned cavity before so I have no idea what to expect. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, personal experiences?

VXobsession
09/16/2011, 02:07 PM
Ouch.....

Golfindoc
09/16/2011, 04:39 PM
Hi! I'm a dentist and have done many. You'll be anesthetised and probably find it uneventful. Plus your only alternative is extraction. You are also able to get a second opinion if you question the diagnosis. I hope this helps.
Golfindoc

Ebenezr
09/16/2011, 05:17 PM
No...to answer your question and I don't want one either.

RickOKC
09/16/2011, 07:27 PM
Yes, I did not take good care of my teeth in my youth.OK...now I'm curious. The "teeth in you mouth".... so where else do you gots teefs? :p :laughing:

Gizmo42
09/16/2011, 08:27 PM
I've had one and the only time that was somewhat painful other then the needles to numb me was when he filled in the hole with whatever they used. That was the worst part for me. Anesthetic doesnt work really well on me though. They always have to use a lot and it doesnt fully work.

Anita
09/17/2011, 02:28 PM
A less-than-excellent dentist can cause pain as well as other issues (Im not going to tell my tales of woe) -- be sure he/she comes with good recommendations. Get it done and you'll be fine.

circmand
09/19/2011, 06:08 AM
A less-than-excellent dentist can cause pain as well as other issues (Im not going to tell my tales of woe) -- be sure he/she comes with good recommendations. Get it done and you'll be fine.

Of course with that comes anethesia. Felt no pain and quite frankly dont remember much of the rest of the day but small little moments. No pain the rest of teh time either but was given percoset so I guess it can happen. I know some people would pay for an experience like that.

WormGod
09/19/2011, 07:01 AM
Get it yanked and get an implant ($$$). A dead tooth in your mouth is useless and just goes down hill from there. ;)

crager34
09/20/2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah... I had to have both my front two teeth done. Eventually they degenerated and started to chip, then I had to get a bridge. Three of my front teeth were effected. Kinda sucked.

Hope yours turns out better.

Flintstone
09/20/2011, 12:55 PM
I have had three and as others have said you'll feel nothing after the initial needle. In fact the worst part is a slightly aching jaw from keeping your mouth open for a while.

Trust me, you'll be fine.

Y33TREKker
09/20/2011, 01:09 PM
Based on my experience, if you're dentist knows what he/she's doing, the most painful part will likely be the bill that you get afterwards. :freek:

Ldub
09/20/2011, 03:42 PM
This thread reminded me of the time I was filling out the new patient form at the dentist office.

The question in question was:

What type of dentistry are you here for?

My answer was:

Hopefully "MODERN"...:laughing:

WormGod
09/21/2011, 06:59 AM
You didn't opt for the primitive, barbaric style Dub? That's not right. No pain.... no gain. Brute force it.

I once had a filling done without a local. I had one prior for another filling, but we then decided that since that one went pretty quick, we had time to replace an old silver filling with a composite. I said, GO AHEAD. Of course, the local had run off by then and I sucked it up. I never told them it was painful since I didn't want to get a shot and wait another 15mins for it to take. Words can't express how uncomfortable that was, but I clearly hide pain quite well since they never noticed. It's all about crossing your feet at the ankles and keeping the tension in that squeeze, heh. Ya.... I'm a masochist.