PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking...tachometer?

Breezy
09/21/2011, 10:15 AM
As I'm driving, something that sounds like it comes from my gauge cluster squeaks constantly, but if I bump into "neutral" and let it coast as I'm going, the tach drops to idle around 1,000 RPM and the squeaking halts. Anyone know if there is perhaps a reason to this? Grease zerks on the back of the tach maybe? JK, but would pulling the dash out and shooting some WD-40 on the back of it do any good possibly? I pulled the cluster once and recall that it wasn't necessarily pleasant to do.

Also, when my VX is sitting still idling, the fan kicks on and off as it should, but its rather loud. Can this be dampened, or is that just what I get with the car?

Thanks!

Exclamation
09/21/2011, 11:30 AM
I had something that was making a "squeaking" noise in my dash and it turned out to be a problem with the EGR valve and the pipe going to it had a hole in it as well. Would go quiet at low rpms and get louder after about 3k.

rsteinmetz70112
09/21/2011, 01:06 PM
Most Tacs and Speedometers are now electronic. Back in the old days I'd say it was the speedometer cable which was mechanically connected to the transmission. They could be lubricated and that usually solved the problem, at least for a while.

crager34
09/21/2011, 07:13 PM
I have a criket in my dash.

Ldub
09/21/2011, 08:24 PM
I have a criket in my dash.

I have "sea monkeys" in my water pipe...:laughing:

Great snack'n when ya git the munchies...:yesgray:

RickOKC
09/21/2011, 08:54 PM
I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!

Or was that Beatles?

MSHardeman
09/22/2011, 08:20 AM
The squeak could just be the two dash pieces rubbing against each other. Every now and then I get a little squeak coming from the gauge cluster area, but if I reach up and squeeze the top of the dash (the lip above the gauge cluster) the squeaking goes away. When you put it in neutral and the engine goes to idle there isn't as much vibration in the car so whatever is squeaking stops (same with my squeak). Like rsteinmetz70112 said, our gauge cluster is all electronic so there's really nothing in there to squeak; now the gauge cluster itself could squeak if it was a little loose.

Lube up your dash and everything will be fine.:biggringr

VXobsession
09/22/2011, 10:43 AM
I've got crickets in my air conditioner.

Breezy
09/22/2011, 10:47 AM
Ooooo yeah, when my blower is running I hear squeaking come from my vents too!