PDA

View Full Version : Auto parts suppliers...opinions.

Ebenezr
10/10/2011, 08:29 AM
I have been developing a repoire with a nearby mechanic. He is good and in fact other mechanics send him the stuff they can't get right. I started talkin suppliers and manufacturers. and this is what I took home:

DAYCO: no
Beck Arnley: Yes they provide good parts
Gates: makes the best belts/ Timing belts.

He is convinced Beckley and others send their 2nds to the discount auto suppliers that you and I go to. He said that Beck products that he buys through his suppliers practically never fail but if he buys the same thing from the local discount supplier it seems to have a MUCH higher chance of failing.

We talked about Airtex fuel pumps. He will not even install them. They fail - frequently. He has a friend down the street that went through 7 IN A ROW on his honda. He would install one and it would last a day then die. He finally put an OEM in for his friend and it has been running since.

I buy all my auto parts locally from Advance Auto. They will buy nothing. The failure of all types of Advance parts are high. He buys only stuff like WD40 etc from places like Advance.

I brought him my daughters Dodge Dakota this morning. I bought a throttle Position Sensor from Advance Auto 3 months ago. I brought the vehicle in because of hesitation and it will not go into overdrive. Well he called me a moment ago. Guess whats wrong. He says my Throttle Position Sensor is not working ...... and that could even be why shifting is not right cause its not talking to the trans. :mad:

Amnesia
10/10/2011, 11:15 AM
Hmmm.... I buy everything I can from Advance Auto Parts & can't remember ever getting anything that was bad, right out of the box. (Same thing goes for all other suppliers...) Mabye I'm just lucky, but they say that sometimes it's better to be lucky, rather than good! : )

Also, I have a list of discount codes for Advance if anyone is interested. They run specials all the time, but these codes (so far) work all the time, regardless. If you spend over $75 then you get free shipping. Spend less, & I usually just opt to pick up my order at one of the many local stores. The codes range from 20% off ANY order, up to 40% off depending on how much you spend. Order strategically & you can save a bundle! YMMV w/ the parts, but like I was saying I've had good luck so far.

Ebenezr
10/10/2011, 11:24 AM
I don't want anyone to think I'm slamming Advance. I have spent tons with them and this is the first problem I've had and I will buy from them again. without hesitation. I guess, however, if you buy parts all day long like a mechanic then you would pick up on the difference.

Amnesia
10/10/2011, 11:34 AM
Totally agree. I've heard the same about electronics such as TV's, etc from "Big Box" stores VS the smaller specialty stores... Dunno?

Riff Raff
10/10/2011, 05:21 PM
If I buy local in my hometown, it's nothing but NAPA "Echlin" (high end) product line. If I buy on-line internet, it's nothing but Summit Racing. Your mechanic is right; Advance Auto is only good for items like WD-40 and maybe some hand-soap or a key-chain, period.

:bgwb:

RamAirZ
10/10/2011, 05:38 PM
Coming from someone that installs parts like these daily I disagree. MOST parts for MOST people, these stores are fine. Gaskets, brake pads, rotors, fluids and filters, alternators etc are all fine from places like these. Also consider that alot of the same name brand parts are available there. Now internal engine parts and the like I would not order from my local parts store but on my daily driver, I'd have no problem buying a lifetime warranty alternator from. Ok so it goes out in 3 years instead of 5-6 like the more expensive brand, it still costs me nothing to replace it where as the other brands I would have to buy a new one, same with brake pads etc on a daily driver. Get good lifetime pads and you never have to buy them again. So they won't make your 60-0 AS good as say a set of Hawks etc, but on 99% of the vehicles out there, they are fine and again, no cost to replace. Now for injectors and fuel pumps etc I wouldn't buy from the auto parts store, not worth the hassle. We get 6.0 Ford Diesel's in all the time with Oreilly's (or equivalent) injectors and they are horrible, we always have to replace with OEM or good aftermarket (Industrial Injection etc) parts to get the truck running right again. The only pump I would run from an autoparts store would be an in-line low-pressure pump. Less likely to be bad, and if they are, they are easy to replace.

PK
10/10/2011, 06:37 PM
Mabye I'm just lucky, but they say that sometimes it's better to be lucky, rather than good! : )

Man - that is how I live my life.

I am only good if I can't get lucky.:p:p:p:bwgy::smilewink:yesb::yesgray:

PK

Ebenezr
10/10/2011, 07:08 PM
Coming from someone that installs parts like these daily I disagree. MOST parts for MOST people, these stores are fine. Gaskets, brake pads, rotors, fluids and filters, alternators etc are all fine from places like these. Also consider that alot of the same name brand parts are available there. Now internal engine parts and the like I would not order from my local parts store but on my daily driver, I'd have no problem buying a lifetime warranty alternator from. Ok so it goes out in 3 years instead of 5-6 like the more expensive brand, it still costs me nothing to replace it where as the other brands I would have to buy a new one, same with brake pads etc on a daily driver. Get good lifetime pads and you never have to buy them again. So they won't make your 60-0 AS good as say a set of Hawks etc, but on 99% of the vehicles out there, they are fine and again, no cost to replace. Now for injectors and fuel pumps etc I wouldn't buy from the auto parts store, not worth the hassle. We get 6.0 Ford Diesel's in all the time with Oreilly's (or equivalent) injectors and they are horrible, we always have to replace with OEM or good aftermarket (Industrial Injection etc) parts to get the truck running right again. The only pump I would run from an autoparts store would be an in-line low-pressure pump. Less likely to be bad, and if they are, they are easy to replace.

Well its good to have a mechanic give a contrary opinion. His partner/boss did tell me always go OEM for sensors ie throttle position sensor. I actually replaced the TPS on my daughters dakota with a brand new bad one....and broke her truck. ha ha ha.

RamAirZ
10/10/2011, 07:23 PM
Ya for alot of the sensors I agree oem is best. I dont know how many parts store MAFs ive gone through until I got one that worked.