PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Afraid to Turn / Rollover

B@bydd33
10/11/2011, 12:45 PM
hi All -

i am in need of advice. ive had my VX for a little over a year now (currently 90k; 2001). i put some new shocks (KYB Gas-A-Just) on it about one year ago because of the bounciness. it has been about 12000 miles since then. there was a definite improvement, but i feel like i should replace these again with something better. ok..the problem.

problem: the ride is still a little bouncy. and there is very little comfort as every little bump in the road is felt. if i hit a pothole, it sounds as if i'm going to break something. most importantly, i am afraid to turn at high speeds (60mph or so). when turning AND there is a bump in the road, it feels as if im temporarily up in the air and when the tires land spinning it take a second to reconnect with the road. im not certain if this is exactly what is happening but clearly i lose traction.

question: do i need better shocks? is this a sway bar problem? do i need a bigger gf on the passenger side?

by no means am i a mechanic but i definitely would like to make improvements to get that safer feeling. ideally, id like absolutely no bounce and a VX that can take a corner like a lower small sports compact without buying wider tires and/or lowering. BTW, i have all stock parts.

thanks for any help!

tom4bren
10/11/2011, 12:50 PM
Before you replace the shocks again, try cutting off half of your rear bump stops. A couple of members have done so & swear by the results.

Read this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20911&highlight=bump+stops

circmand
10/11/2011, 12:59 PM
try different settings on the gas adjust shocks. They are adjustable for just this reason.

VXorado
10/11/2011, 01:03 PM
I would check your sway bars to make sure they're connected and not bent. I haven't been using a front sway bar for a few months & don't have any of the problems you're having around turns.

I would also pull one of your shocks and try to compress it. If it compresses easily, you'll probably need bigger shocks. The VX is small but heavy & needs shocks that can handle the weight.

B@bydd33
10/11/2011, 01:10 PM
thanks for the fast replies fellas!

so it sounds like bump stops, sway bars, and shocks. ill have them all checked and replaced if necessary. can anyone recommend the best that I can get for these? should i stick with KYB for instance? also, should i replace the coil springs as well?

tom4bren
10/11/2011, 01:37 PM
One thing at a time. If your shocks are adjustable, then adjust them first (several different settings). If that's not the answer then try cutting your bump stops (you may be able to cut them without removing them but I'm not sure). If your symptoms persist, then move on to checking your sway bars. If they are fine, then maybe replace your shocks.

VXorado
10/11/2011, 03:20 PM
+1

Like Circmand said, adjustable shocks are the way to go. Rancho 9000s are popular adjustable shocks.

New OME coil springs will be stiffer & help body roll but they'll also raise you up a couple inches. Unless you're looking into lifting, I would stick with other options first because raising up the VX isn't going to help your center of gravity around turns.

Good luck.

Moncha
10/11/2011, 03:32 PM
Also, something that is commonly forgotten. The VX is a VERY short wheelbase and has a very stiff/bouncy ride.. and tires will affect the ride by quite a bit also. At the least make sure all your tires are up to proper pressure along with the other offerings.

rsteinmetz70112
10/11/2011, 06:43 PM
Have you ridden in a known good VX?
Before embarking on expensive experimantation I suggest you get a reference.

Definitely try adjusting the shocks and see if that helps your experience.

Ldub
10/11/2011, 06:56 PM
Another good mod to improve/lessen body roll in turns, is to replace the stock bushings where the sway bars connect to the frame, with greasable polyurethane bushings.

I know the part #'s are on the site somewhere, try a site search...:luck:

JoFotoz
10/11/2011, 07:14 PM
Part # is...

Another good mod to improve/lessen body roll in turns, is to replace the stock bushings where the sway bars connect to the frame, with greasable polyurethane bushings.

I know the part #'s are on the site somewhere, try a site search...:luck:

as follows:-

-------

www.energysuspension.com

Part # 9.5156R

---------

You can get them here on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-5156R-Greasable-Sway/dp/B000CN5FQO

:fyi:

I just happen to have a set sitting on my desk...

..to be fitted when I do my front diff etc...eventually..by May next year!!

jo

Ldub
10/11/2011, 07:57 PM
I just happen to have a set sitting on my desk...

..to be fitted when I do my front diff etc...eventually..by May next year!!

jo

You have a DESK...:confused: You're LUCKY!

Why, when I was a wee lad, only barristers & above had desks, we lived in a mud puddle, in the middle of a dirt road &...:smilewink

tom4bren
10/12/2011, 04:44 AM
You have a DESK...:confused: You're LUCKY!

Why, when I was a wee lad, only barristers & above had desks, we lived in a mud puddle, in the middle of a dirt road &...:smilewink

Didn't know they had roads when you were a wee lad!!!

Vendetta
02/17/2012, 11:56 AM
I've got this same problem. And this was happening before my new OME 913s, wheels and tires.

It's like this. At any speed above say 40mph or so, if I hit bumps, the rear tires don't feel like they track correctly and land out of plane with my direction of travel. It's kind of hairy. Can't tell if this is happening in the front also, because the yaw from the rear is far more pronounced.

The bumps don't need to be huge. At all. Just enough turbulence to left the tires and I'm feeling it. So I can't imagine that the bump stops are coming into play here. Especially after my lift.

My wrench says sway bar. Does this still sound right to those of you in the know here? Also, The Energy Suspension bushings, are those that JoFotoz listed still the optimal choice? And while I have my wallet out for the sway and bushings (if indeed that's the collective response here), are they any other tidbits like new bump stops (suggested model?) I should get BEFORE I go full monty and do the shocks? Remember, OME913s and 285/65 R18s. :)

I welcome the wisdom.
-V

Ldub
02/17/2012, 02:55 PM
Here's the deal...& this is not addressed to anyone in particular, just the random rantings of a lunatic, who believes this to be "what's-what" with regard to the VX's handling/ride characteristics...

The VX is a short wheelbase, stiffly suspended/dampered, heavy little thug vehicle.
Capable of bullying it's way over/through just about anything put in it's path.

It was never meant to be comfortable, it's conception was very purposeful...
A nasty little hot-rod that could traverse terrain that would cause mere "mortal" vehicles to shat themselves, yet have the road manners of a (albeit heavy & bloated) sports car.

The "arm rests on the door panels?...sure if you wanna call em that...:rolleyesg

Rear passenger ingress/egress?...great...:rolleyesg

It's never gonna ride smooth, unless you're willing to kiss cornering good bye...& even then, will suffer the pitfalls of EVERY vehicle with a short wheelbase. (ever wonder why limos are so long?)

Chatters over bumps in corners?...of course it does...:yesgray:
Push the skinny to the floor & feel the "magic" of TOD pulling you through the corner...even though it feels like "all hells break'n loose" back there...:yesgray:

Hell...you might even end up drifting a little through the corner (remember...steer INTO the skid)

(practice on a closed course, with a professional instructor, wearing nomex water wings, before trying this on your own)...:smilewink

Hope any of this might answer some questions...or maybe cause more...with regard to my sanity...:_confused...:laughing:

And as an afterthought...when I push a corner HARD on asphalt, or whatever "civilized" road surface I happen to be on, she will easily pick the inner front tire up off the ground & STILL haul rocks around the corner.

Go somewhere remote & practice driving...unless you're pushing it harder than I ever have, it ain't gonna roll...:smilewink

Vendetta
02/17/2012, 03:41 PM
5x5, Dub. But I'm not worrying about rollin' her, I'm just saying this tracking problem is something that's NOT the same way it was back when I bought her. It's downright white-knuckle inducing. And this from a guy who's no stranger to stiff suspensions and extremely hard driving, trust me. :evil:

I swear, if I hit an icy patch and bumps? It's gonna be over. And IHaveVXParts will have a new wreck to part out. You all wouldn't want that now, would you? (Would you?)

-V

Ldub
02/17/2012, 03:48 PM
(Would you?)

-V

Ummmmm...no!

Ldub
02/17/2012, 03:52 PM
NOW I get what you're talk'n about Ven...:yesgray:

Here ya go...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17825&highlight=waggly

Vendetta
02/17/2012, 03:58 PM
Would you...?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/129/050/PolamaluHeadAd_crop_340x234.png

Dub, that's not quiiiiiite what I'm talking about, but it could be a contributing factor, so I will certainly have it looked at when I get to the shop. Imagine what you were experiencing, probably as or even more dramatic, but only when you hit a rough patch in the road.

-V

Ldub
02/17/2012, 04:02 PM
Would you...?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/129/050/PolamaluHeadAd_crop_340x234.png

Dub, that's not quiiiiiite what I'm talking about, but it could be a contributing factor, so I will certainly have it looked at when I get to the shop. Imagine what you were experiencing, probably as or even more dramatic, but only when you hit a rough patch in the road.

-V

I'm digg'n it Bro, one thing that I forgot to post in the orig thread...going over a bump inna road @ hwy speed, would cause the rear to pitch back & forth, & continue to do so until I backed off the skinny.

Ldub
02/17/2012, 04:04 PM
Would you...?

yaw yaw yaw...yaw...yaw...:laughing:

VXobsession
02/18/2012, 02:43 PM
hi All -

a VX that can take a corner like a lower small sports compact without buying wider tires and/or lowering. BTW, i have all stock parts.

thanks for any help!

Just for the record, I have an all-stock VX with no lift or lowering, no big wide tires, just normal street tires. I think the problem a lot of people have who are new to the VX is that they just don't know how to drive one. It is shorter than anything you've probably ever driven, other than a tiny car. I've never off roaded mine, except for the occasional dirt road. Mine is technically my street runner. There are roads here in Arkansas that are so curvy, I'm talking about 20 mph curves....and I've taken those curves at 60. I've taken 45 mph curves at 90. This magnificent vehicle is the most amazing thing I've ever driven, as long as you're a driver and not just an operator. STAY IN THE TROTTLE. That's the trick. NEVER brake around corners. If you do, you'll surely feel the ***** of it wanting to throw you off the road. Brake before them if you need to slow a little, but hit the gas going around them. Take the weight off the front....you will feel the weight shift. This IS a sports car, regardless of how many of you lift, throw on huge tires, and grunt around on big rocks. This thing was made for rally racing, not rock crawling...that's why it has TOD. I've not seen one VX member on here that actually uses theirs for its truest purpose. I feel like they're all held back and prevented from stretching their legs....like caged lions. I would say "all" but I'm just gonna say "some", of you have no idea what your VX's are capable of....

Vendetta
02/18/2012, 03:20 PM
VXO, you're completely right about the VX's capabilities. And this is coming from a guy who had NO problems cruising up the NYS Thruway at 2am doing a buck, a buck-10. Bumps, potholes, no problem.

But this is assuming that nothing's mechanically wrong with the suspension. What I'm experiencing, and I suspect some others also, is that something has deteriorated over the past few years, resulting in dramatically reduced ride stability.

So while your advise is good, it should only be applied to VX's that are in known-good condition. I'm an owner for more than 11 years now. My VX and I are quite familiar with one another, and I'm telling you - what I'm experiencing is NOT by design.

-V

VXobsession
02/18/2012, 04:19 PM
V, u are right about making sure the VX is sound. I was just throwing in my 2 cents after he opened the door for me with his sports car comment :)

JoFotoz
02/18/2012, 04:40 PM
WOW...thats a :eek: statement.......

I would say "all" but I'm just gonna say "some", of you have no idea what your VX's are capable of....

Well shucks.......I'll just continue to drive it to the rocks...

.......like the true SUV it is.

Then I'll "grunt around on some big rocks"..and drive it home...

...... like the true SUV it is.

And frankly, if the VX is really the "most amazing thing" you've ever driven...

..you've got some more :_steering to do!!

IMO..a large part of the beauty of the VX, is its inherent versatility...
.....its chameleon like qualities, that allow it to be many things...

....to many people.

:dance:

jo

Ldub
02/18/2012, 05:08 PM
I think a guy told me once..."opinions look like * "

or was it "asterisks look like opinions"...:_thinking

no wait, it was "my cats opinion looks like an asterisk"... *

Yeah, I think that was it...:yesgray:...:laughing:

everybody has an asterisk...yeh, I think that was it...:_confused

(*)

Scoobymlr
02/18/2012, 05:42 PM
B@bydd.....
I cut my rear bump stops in half and the ride is so much better. It gave me more clearance and helped with the road bumps. I would say to try it.
Mychael

VXobsession
02/18/2012, 06:29 PM
Wow...I didn't expect all the sensitivity from the hardcore VX zombie apocolypse survivalists...

...guys, seriously, am I REALLY getting flack because I'm the one person on here that acknowledges the rally-racing aspect of our VXs instead of talking nonstop about rock crawling at 2 mph? Yes, its versatility is kinda endless, which is why it made the zombie survival vehicle list....but at least give me some credit for getting out there and using my VX for SOMETHING it likes to do, verses driving it like a car with Miss Daisy in the backseat...

Scoobymlr
02/18/2012, 07:20 PM
This IS a sports car, regardless of how many of you lift, throw on huge tires, and grunt around on big rocks. This thing was made for rally racing, not rock crawling...that's why it has TOD. I've not seen one VX member on here that actually uses theirs for its truest purpose. I feel like they're all held back and prevented from stretching their legs....like caged lions.....

I agree. I love driving it like a SPORTS car and thats why I bought it. The best of ALL worlds.... For those who love to off road or those, like US that like to drive it like a true sports car..;)

JoFotoz
02/19/2012, 02:13 AM
Oh please...

Wow...I didn't expect all the sensitivity from the hardcore VX zombie apocolypse survivalists...

...guys, seriously, am I REALLY getting flack because I'm the one person on here that acknowledges the rally-racing aspect of our VXs instead of talking nonstop about rock crawling at 2 mph? Yes, its versatility is kinda endless, which is why it made the zombie survival vehicle list....but at least give me some credit for getting out there and using my VX for SOMETHING it likes to do, verses driving it like a car with Miss Daisy in the backseat...

...you really think you are "the one person"....

OMG

I wish..I dream...of having your hutzpa to make such statements.

It has NOTHING to do with "sensitivity"....OR.. Miss Daisy..(WTF?)...or zombies ( please! STFU...thats stupid...sorry Dub!)

May I suggest...you come drive a few thousand miles, In Sports Car style OF COURSE!.. then put YOUR VX to the test...Yea?

Out corner me...( OR many OTHERS..) ...on the way to one of the best burgers you'll ever eat.

Then...lets chat.

And JBTW...you will dribble the burger sauce.!!

So...dont sport anything white!

jo

Ldub
02/19/2012, 05:46 AM

Yes neo...you are "the one"...:rolleyesg

When you drive it hard enough to egg out the mounting holes for the drag links, gimmie a shout...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17825&highlight=waggly

Ldub
02/19/2012, 06:38 AM
...or zombies ( please! STFU...thats stupid...sorry Dub!)

:thanx:...:laughing:

I think of it as more of an "art car"...not a lifestyle choice...:smilewink

VXobsession
02/19/2012, 09:23 AM
Why do u guys have to be ********.....I didn't say anything negative about the VX or point my finger at either one of u. I was simply replying to one single line the guy said about wanting a "sports car feeling". I was only trying to explain to him that if u know how to drive one, it DOES corner like a sports car.

And yes, I DO think the VXs want and need to stretch their legs.....one of the absolute few reasons it rock crawls so well is just because its short. U could add all these mods to a lot of different vehicles and get the same results but I can't think of one other SUV that u can corner with like the VX.

.....I seriously liked it here.....its the only place I could talk VX with other people. So why the hateful/sarcastic backlash....?

VX crazy
02/19/2012, 09:28 AM
I can think of lots of SUVs that can corner BETTER than the vx.........BMW X6, mercedes ml amg, Audi.....they just cost a lot more $$$

vt_maverick
02/19/2012, 09:31 AM
As someone who agrees that the "rock-crawling = VX true mission in life" statements are pretty dubious, but also as someone preparing to do some of that myself (:D), I will offer up that VXobsession, one (1) person replied to your comment in a negative way, to which you made a huge deal about being the one person, yada yada yada.

I agree with you (at least about the more accurate description of the VX's designed purpose) but I'm just saying come off it a bit.

VXobsession
02/19/2012, 09:32 AM
Are they AWD?

VXobsession
02/19/2012, 09:35 AM
Come off it a bit? I wasn't the one being a prick.

VXobsession
02/19/2012, 09:40 AM
And I didn't make a huge deal out of anything. I said I was the "one" person who respects the racing aspect of our VXs....I only said that one time. And I said it because no one else ever talks about it. I did feel like I'm the only one here that feels that way. Dub and the whore are the ones that made this a big deal with being so rude.

VX crazy
02/19/2012, 10:42 AM
I think the deal here is that a lot of us are original owners and have done everything already with the vx, 10+ years ago, I ralley crossed min once and just didn't like the roughness or wearing a damn helmet, so they might just come off a little more defensive to a relatively newbie is all I think this is.........live and let live everyone!

Ldub
02/19/2012, 11:36 AM
And I didn't make a huge deal out of anything. I said I was the "one" person who respects the racing aspect of our VXs....I only said that one time. And I said it because no one else ever talks about it. I did feel like I'm the only one here that feels that way. Dub and the whore are the ones that made this a big deal with being so rude.

It's all about perspective son...:yesgray:

Sorry you consider a reply that you didn't like, to be rude...:flower:

Some may consider an activity that they enjoy, being referred to as "driving miss daisy", to be very rude indeed...:_confused

Also, others may find it awfully rude if some young hotshot , who thinks he (or she) is the only one to consider the fact that the VX corners well, starts popp'n off about "the hardcore VX zombie/survivalist crowd".

"but never pointed the finger at anyone in particular"

It's roughly the equivalent of strolling into a biker bar, saying how harleys & all american made bikes suck...:luck:

FWIW...I don't recall anyone ever saying that rock crawling was the end all & be all sole purpose of the VX...:_thinking...though more than a few have found it to be very satisfactory when taken off road.

But maybe try re-reading some of your posts, while pretending you don't know who posted them, to see if they don't sound a bit rude.

"am I REALLY getting flack because I'm the one person on here that acknowledges the rally-racing aspect of our VXs instead of talking nonstop about rock crawling at 2 mph? "

I think Coastie & Gussie & a few others who are into the rally aspect of the VX, might find it a bit rude...since they've been talking about it for years.

Do a little research, & some day you can maybe add your name to the list of those that have gone before, who have rallied/rally crossed/raced their VX's.

Tone (RIP), Vx crazy, Joe Black, & Heraclid are just a few that come to mind.

Again...:flower:

VX KAT
02/19/2012, 11:37 AM

Um, nope, not cool to say that on this site.

Back on topic....this "community" of VXers, by and large, are very polite and respectful of each members tastes and mods. We can politely say we don't care for x, y or z mod, but not bash it and imply it's wrong to do it or imply it's stupid. It happens all the time, really it does.

Some don't like CoastieCosta's yellow headlights, some laugh at my sissy plastic skid plates (:wave: JO...:p) , kat paw print decals, and all my purple stuff inside, some laugh at Dub's skull and zombie stuff and his virtual hardware store in the back, some don't like VXorado's chopped back door with spare, and many think Triathlete is crazy the way he drives on rocks and such, we ALL scoff and laugh at Tom4Bren's rear tire mount and wide tires...(aka OFH) :p, and the best example....look how much we criticized Marlin's "frankenbumper"........he was great about it, and we're all still buddies with no hard feelings.

It's always harder to communicate your intent with just written words, and no voice inflection or facial gestures, etc...so I think, and I think several others do too, that your typed words came off a bit sharp.

I see you're coming to Moab in May....so I guess you're maybe thinking you might at least try some "rock crawling"????:_thinking
Let me share some insight...I DON'T ROCK CRAWL....MOST OF US DON'T ROCK CRAWL. ....(Well, except for maybe Billy, Dumke, BigMeat, and a few others :p...and some just get ROCK STUCK not CRAWL... :laugho:....)

I go on easier trails, that have less chance of damage....because I can't get mine lifted, I can't repair things myself, I don't live close enough to LDub to fix whatever and I'm not rich enough to pay someone else to fix it....yet I totally enjoy every single minute of the trip. As Dub said a few days ago, basically some of us would get together in Moab even if all the trails were closed. It's really a great gang and we all have a bunch-o-fun. ....and believe it or not, part of that fun is discussing and debating stuff when there's differences of opinion....

So, bottom line, to each his own....let everybody enjoy their VX any way they choose to. :thumbup:

Look forward to meeting you in Moab this year. You'll have a great time, it's so spectacularly beautiful there.

Triathlete
02/19/2012, 01:21 PM
Wait a minute! People think I am crazy? :D

VX KAT
02/19/2012, 01:31 PM
Wait a minute! People think I am crazy? :D

Gezzin' I shoulda juz said "me thinks" you crazy....but it's great fun to watch! :thumbup:http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6147.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6149.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_6120.JPG

JoFotoz
02/19/2012, 03:43 PM
Not warning you about the dribbbbly sauce on the burgers....

.... would of been 'rude' !

:p..:jump:..:clap:..:jump:..:p

jo

Triathlete
02/19/2012, 05:02 PM
Sue, those are probably some of my tamer antics ;)

pbkid
02/19/2012, 07:24 PM
I said I was the "one" person who respects the racing aspect of our VXs....
oh man, i really dont like joining the crowds of 'pricks' around here, but sir, you are not the only one, as dub stated. Relatively, you are new to the VX and you very obviously do not understand this site.
You basically came into the ONE AND ONLY mass of vehicross info and knowledge base, then basically told the group that we dont know anything about the vehicle.
question for you, how many times have you had your VX over 90 on dirt? how many times have you slid off the road/trail because you were pushing the limits a little too much? and finally, do you have any actual proof that you actually do use your baby as a rally vehicle, because I only know of a few people here who have videos of THEIR vx rally racing.
I know for a fact that ive had my VX over 90 on dirt more times than i can count, as well i have spent countless hours spinning around cones and using the TOD to get myself out of the ditch.

The part that I find funny is that my VX is lifted, as well as has been bashed on rocks on many occasions. I DEFINATELY dont 'miss daisy' my vehicles. Show me 1 pic like this or 1 video like this of YOU, and we can talk about the limit of a Vehicross.
(ya, i think you kinda hit the hornets nest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpbr5k1zy_c
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/PBKID2_all_Jacked_up.jpg

pbkid
02/19/2012, 07:32 PM
No hard feelings VXobsession, but i will be curious to see how you feel and view our hobby after moab this year, but its definately not miss daisy stuff-
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3276/Dumke.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3276/alans_VX.JPG

VX KAT
02/19/2012, 08:12 PM
Sue, those are probably some of my tamer antics ;)

Yeah, but I'm smart, and I DON'T follow you (as per your recommendation :p) and therefore, I have no pictures.....and didn't raid your gallery to find any.

VXR
02/20/2012, 12:37 AM

Hey VXobsession don't take it personal this is what they do. The "MOAB MOB" uses this site like their own personal facebook account and don't like it when people disagree with them.

VXR
02/20/2012, 02:44 AM
The part that I find funny is that my VX is lifted, as well as has been bashed on rocks on many occasions

you have a VX???

Ldub
02/20/2012, 05:49 AM
Hey VXobsession don't take it personal this is what they do. The "MOAB MOB" uses this site like their own personal facebook account and don't like it when people disagree with them.

I like that...:yesgray:

"Moab Mob"..."OPF division" t-shirts for this yrs event anyone?...:laughing:

VXorado
02/20/2012, 12:33 PM
Not warning you about the dribbbbly sauce on the burgers....

.... would of been 'rude' !

:p..:jump:..:clap:..:jump:..:p

jo

??... IN-N-OUT Burger.... :drool2:

VXorado
02/20/2012, 12:53 PM
I like that...:yesgray:

"Moab Mob"..."OPF division" t-shirts for this yrs event anyone?...:laughing:

...and on the t-shirt add a picture of a pillaged town to represent the mob's apparent destructiveness :eek:...:laughy:

Ldub
02/20/2012, 01:53 PM
??... IN-N-OUT Burger.... :drool2:

While Jo has been kind enough to bring in-N-out to Moab, all the way from Cali-fornee in the past...:drool:

I believe this place (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miltsstopandeat.com%2F&ei=Tr9CT8KnD-fe2AXUu-CtCA&usg=AFQjCNG6uV9SxmYlfYWUNWb-jtMh7Zlouw&sig2=XN_ssrWRVU0g76Lpr5qPPw) was on his mind in that post...:yesgray:

Vendetta
02/20/2012, 02:06 PM
...My wrench says sway bar. Does this still sound right to those of you in the know here? Also, The Energy Suspension bushings, are those that JoFotoz listed still the optimal choice? And while I have my wallet out for the sway and bushings (if indeed that's the collective response here), are they any other tidbits like new bump stops (suggested model?) I should get BEFORE I go full monty and do the shocks? Remember, OME913s and 285/65 R18s. :)

I welcome the wisdom.
-V

Great, now I'm starving for a really good burger. But I'm hoping to re-hijack this thread just long enough to get answers to the above.
-V

RickOKC
02/20/2012, 05:56 PM
Great, now I'm starving for a really good burger. But I'm hoping to re-hijack this thread just long enough to get answers to the above.
-V
What make/model tire? Could there be something about the stiffness and/or height of the sidewalls that affects this? How often do you experience the squirreliness?

I have one intersection on my way to work that scares the heck out of me at 40 MPH. The '08 Mustang sez "it ain't no big deal" but my former 2002 Ranger Edge (tall tires, 3" factory lift) acted the same was as the VX.

:_confused :_confused :_confused

Just throwin' stuff out there hoping someone else might have an "ah-ha!" moment. :)

Vendetta
02/20/2012, 07:10 PM
^^^
I'm on 286/65 R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. BUT - this was happening PRIOR to that upgrade, also.

I guess I'll just pull the trigger on a new sway bar and those bushings as a start.
-V

Ldub
02/20/2012, 07:23 PM
^^^
I'm on 286/65 R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. BUT - this was happening PRIOR to that upgrade, also.

I guess I'll just pull the trigger on a new sway bar and those bushings as a start.
-V

Unless the sway bar is broken, $ave your ca$h & pop for the energy susp bushings.

Also check those holes on both ends of the lower links.

My preference for bumpstops is polyurethane...I think I have 3-4" ones, with an inch or so of spacers to move em down a little more toward the top of the axle...can't remember wether prothane or E S...:_confused
Ideally, you want them to make contact with the top of axle, an inch or so before the tire contacts the inside of the fender well.

Ldub
02/20/2012, 07:27 PM
...and on the t-shirt add a picture of a pillaged town to represent the mob's apparent destructiveness :eek:...:laughy:

Oh absolutely...we're just awful...:yesgray:

Remember that one year, when we changed the event T-shirt logo to read: "anti social committee"...:laughing:

Ahhhhhhhhh...the good ol' days...:sleepgray

Triathlete
02/20/2012, 07:47 PM
My VX will "chatter" around rough turns...my swaybar IS broke in half though. Other than that, I would say a shock issue.

Vendetta
02/20/2012, 07:50 PM
Milking the dead cow here, I can't imagine mine is a bump stop issue because those come into play on more sever bumps, and the ones that are sending my rear off track are kinda mild.

VXorado
02/20/2012, 08:12 PM
You should check shocks, rear wheel bearings (check wheel play), links & track bar.

Something might be loose or broken.

pbkid
02/20/2012, 08:42 PM
you have a VX???
no, not currently. i suppose my post should have been in past tense. my bad.

pbkid
02/20/2012, 08:43 PM
Milking the dead cow here, I can't imagine mine is a bump stop issue because those come into play on more sever bumps, and the ones that are sending my rear off track are kinda mild.
actually, you would be surprised how 'little' of a bump it takes for a VX to hit the rear bump stops. Maybe sue can help me with a photo, but some VX's sit within a couple inches of their bump stops at a rest..... just worth taking a look :)

Vendetta
02/20/2012, 08:59 PM
actually, you would be surprised how 'little' of a bump it takes for a VX to hit the rear bump stops. Maybe sue can help me with a photo, but some VX's sit within a couple inches of their bump stops at a rest..... just worth taking a look :)

Okay, WOW. I just went out there with a flashlight and a tape measure and couldn't believe my eyes. 2.5 inches of clearance beneath the bump stops. 2.5 INCHES??? And that's with the OME 913s installed.

Thanks PB and all the rest for mentioning them like a million times. I honestly figured with the lift, there's no way they could be a factor.

Those bad boys are getting a shave tomorrow. Hopefully it will help!

Stay tuned,
-V

RickOKC
02/21/2012, 05:03 AM
actually, you would be surprised how 'little' of a bump it takes for a VX to hit the rear bump stops. Maybe sue can help me with a photo, but some VX's sit within a couple inches of their bump stops at a rest..... just worth taking a look :)With stock springs, I'm at 1/2".

Mile High VX
02/21/2012, 05:18 AM
With stock springs, I'm at 1/2".

That's where I was before I cut mine down...made a big difference. It used to skip all over the road when you'd hit a bump going around a corner...but no more.

circmand
02/21/2012, 05:38 AM
Is it important when trimming a bump stop that both sides are trimmed equally? If so how exact should it be?

VX KAT
02/21/2012, 08:03 AM

Mine were touching at rest....
That tan color is Arizona dirt sticking to the bottom part of the stop, so it's actually touching the axle.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN04351.JPG

Vendetta
02/21/2012, 08:21 AM
1/2" (RickOKC & MileHigh), touching (VX KAT)... For mine to be at 2.5", I'm back to thinking it's not a bump stop issue. But I'm still going to look into it.

VX KAT
02/21/2012, 08:29 AM
Is it important when trimming a bump stop that both sides are trimmed equally? If so how exact should it be?

Dave I don't "think" real precision would matter.
On my other side, the bottom horizontal part is a little thicker than this side.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/0908111658b.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/0908111649d.jpg

VX KAT
02/21/2012, 08:34 AM
1/2" (RickOKC & MileHigh), touching (VX KAT)... For mine to be at 2.5", I'm back to thinking it's not a bump stop issue. But I'm still going to look into it.

I don't know V....other trucks I've looked at had more like 6-7" stock.
I recall somebody (think it was MileHighVX) found some from a Rodeo that were the same as ours, so get them as a back up set, then you won't be uncomfortable cutting yours down. (or vice versa) That's what Mav did.

Triathlete
02/21/2012, 08:35 AM
Something to consider..if you are running oversized tires, the bump stops are what prevent your tires from contacting your wheelwells when you flex the suspension. So, keep that in mind before cutting.

Vendetta
02/21/2012, 09:00 AM
Something to consider..if you are running oversized tires, the bump stops are what prevent your tires from contacting your wheelwells when you flex the suspension. So, keep that in mind before cutting.
Will do, keeping in mind that it's not a 1:1 ratio. The stops are closer to the fulcrum than the tires, so 1" at the bump stop translates into greater than 1" at the wheel.

I'm running 32.58" OD, according to the 1010Tires calculator.

-V

pbkid
02/22/2012, 09:18 AM
Okay, WOW. I just went out there with a flashlight and a tape measure and couldn't believe my eyes. 2.5 inches of clearance beneath the bump stops. 2.5 INCHES??? And that's with the OME 913s installed.

Thanks PB and all the rest for mentioning them like a million times. I honestly figured with the lift, there's no way they could be a factor.
Stay tuned,
-V
no problem. a lot of people are surprised when they actually look at it. I know the ones of my Runner are about 6" from the axle.

With stock springs, I'm at 1/2".
thats gonna make a pretty rough ride.

Mine were touching at rest....
That tan color is Arizona dirt sticking to the bottom part of the stop, so it's actually touching the axle.

I never had to cut mine on my VX, but i would imagine it would have made a lot smoother ride. Mine wasnt too bad, but it definately would do the little 'hop' that you guys are referring to if i was going fast and hit a bump. I just always trusted the factory gas shocks to keep all 4 on the ground. :thumbup:

Crasca
02/22/2012, 11:33 PM
I freakin' LOVE this forum! :bgwo:

Mile High VX
02/23/2012, 05:04 AM
I don't know V....other trucks I've looked at had more like 6-7" stock.
I recall somebody (think it was MileHighVX) found some from a Rodeo that were the same as ours, so get them as a back up set, then you won't be uncomfortable cutting yours down. (or vice versa) That's what Mav did.

You are correct KAT. I found a set from a Rodeo in a local yard here when looking for some fog switches. I took the OEM off the VX and cut down the ones from the Rodeo. Made a nice improvement and I can go back to stock if I want to.

SlowPro48
02/23/2012, 04:49 PM
Vendetta, you're right - trimming bump stops may help alleviate the symptoms but look elsewhere for the root cause. Your VX had the same bump stops when you first acquired it and you say it didn't exibit the problem then - so logic says it's not the bump stops causing it to step out. I've noticed my rear end steps out a lot more when the nitrogen in the shocks gets too low. Hopefully you just need better damping. If you're still running OEM dampers, get them rebuilt or if they're not leaking at least pop the caps and recharge them with a couple hundred psi of N2 so the oil doesn't turn to froth after the first mile. Froth offers almost no resistance. Welcome to BoingBoing City! If you're running aftermarket shocks - from what I've read here, most tend to be under-damped from the start - especially rebound - and it's all downhill from there - shocks don't get better with use! If worn out/wimpy aftermarket shocks are the problem, I don't know what to tell you other than get new shocks and get the stiffest ones you can find! It can't help the handling when your shocks are blowing through the stroke, bottoming out then rebounding too fast. I think they call that pogoing but in the short little VX with the shocks cavitating at both ends it feels more like riding a porpoise so I call it porpoising. I can't stand the harsh ride/slamming that goes along with the porpoising so regardless of the handling, I pump the shocks up at least once a year just for comfort's sake. They're the floating piston type - good for performance since they can be pressurized more than bladder shocks but without a bladder for the nitrogen they don't hold said high pressure very long - especially if corrosion has crept into the reservoir's o-ring/seal area...

Vendetta
02/23/2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that, 'Pro.

I'm 11+ years in with ZERO maintenance to the factory shocks. Probably time to have them serviced or replaced. I'm told they're in pretty good condition, but that was by my wrench, who basically just eyeballed them - several times because of how often he's been under there lately, I'll give him that.

I'll look into a recharge.

VXorado
02/23/2012, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised you're bottoming out with 913s.

Did you cut the bump stops yet to verify the issue?

VX KAT
02/23/2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that, 'Pro.

I'm 11+ years in with ZERO maintenance to the factory shocks. Probably time to have them serviced or replaced. I'm told they're in pretty good condition, but that was by my wrench, who basically just eyeballed them - several times because of how often he's been under there lately, I'll give him that.

I'll look into a recharge.

Since our shocks are pretty unique in a "normal" truck, is it straight-forward to have any suspension shop do the recharge, or is it any better to send them to that "Bruce" guy for rebuild or recharge?

Vendetta
02/23/2012, 05:48 PM
I'm surprised you're bottoming out with 913s.

Did you cut the bump stops yet to verify the issue?

I'm not convinced about the bump stops yet, either. So even though I was about to chop-chop today, I thought better of it until I verify they're hitting.

Tomorrow I'm going to chalk the axle beneath the stops and go on a test run. Scuffed chalk? Impacting bump stops. Easy-peasy.

To Kat's question - does anyone have a recommendation for this? Is it a straightforward service that any ol' place can do?

Ldub
02/23/2012, 06:07 PM
To Kat's question - does anyone have a recommendation for this? Is it a straightforward service that any ol' place can do?

I would think any local motorcycle shop, that is able to service modern MX & Enduro suspension would be able to.

Robbomaz
02/23/2012, 06:13 PM
I've got this same problem. And this was happening before my new OME 913s, wheels and tires.

It's like this. At any speed above say 40mph or so, if I hit bumps, the rear tires don't feel like they track correctly and land out of plane with my direction of travel. It's kind of hairy. Can't tell if this is happening in the front also, because the yaw from the rear is far more pronounced.

The bumps don't need to be huge. At all. Just enough turbulence to left the tires and I'm feeling it. So I can't imagine that the bump stops are coming into play here. Especially after my lift.

My wrench says sway bar. Does this still sound right to those of you in the know here? Also, The Energy Suspension bushings, are those that JoFotoz listed still the optimal choice? And while I have my wallet out for the sway and bushings (if indeed that's the collective response here), are they any other tidbits like new bump stops (suggested model?) I should get BEFORE I go full monty and do the shocks? Remember, OME913s and 285/65 R18s. :)

I welcome the wisdom.
-V
What LDub says :bgwb: but something else to maybe consider: Mine (NOT a VX) used to give you a 'corkscrew' feeling over speed bumps & the like when it first hit the road - a session on a four wheel alignment machine showed the rear axle was at a slight angle in the chassis, showing 10mm of toe over the 3100mm wheelbase. This moved what the operator called the 'drive angle' slightly off centre, which made the car corkscrew as it corrected itself.
The operator (with vast experience setting up race/rally/drift cars) described drive angle as a equilateral triangle drawn from the rear axle the length of the wheelbase, the 'point' of which was the axle centreline. This point needed to be a close as possible to the centre point between the front wheels.
What I'd done when building the car was tighten up the rear links while the car was on stands - loosening all the links with the cars weight on the suspension and rocking the car the axle squared itself and problem solved.

Ldub
02/23/2012, 06:17 PM
What LDub says :bgwb: but something else to maybe consider: Mine (NOT a VX) used to give you a 'corkscrew' feeling over speed bumps & the like when it first hit the road - a session on a four wheel alignment machine showed the rear axle was at a slight angle in the chassis, showing 10mm of toe over the 3100mm wheelbase. This moved what the operator called the 'drive angle' slightly off centre, which made the car corkscrew as it corrected itself.
The operator (with vast experience setting up race/rally/drift cars) described drive angle as a equilateral triangle drawn from the rear axle the length of the wheelbase, the 'point' of which was the axle centreline. This point needed to be a close as possible to the centre point between the front wheels.
What I'd done when building the car was tighten up the rear links while the car was on stands - loosening all the links with the cars weight on the suspension and rocking the car the axle squared itself and problem solved.

That's some good info...VXinfo that is, right there Mr Rob...:_wrench:.:thumbup:

Robbomaz
02/23/2012, 06:23 PM
That's some good info...VXinfo that is, right there Mr Rob...:_wrench:.:thumbup:
Thankyewvellymuch
It felt very odd on my truck with maybe a metre more wheelbase, would have been a whole lot more 'entertaining' on a short VX

Ldub
02/23/2012, 07:08 PM
Thankyewvellymuch
It felt very odd on my truck with maybe a metre more wheelbase, would have been a whole lot more 'entertaining' on a short VX

Yep, when I had "the wagglies" back there, it would "get interesting" to the point where it would pitch left & right hard enough to get me outta the skinny...:yesgray:

Cruise control wasn't used during that period.

SlowPro48
02/23/2012, 11:11 PM
Since our shocks are pretty unique in a "normal" truck, is it straight-forward to have any suspension shop do the recharge, or is it any better to send them to that "Bruce" guy for rebuild or recharge?

If you're just talking about a recharge then most any motorcycle shop will have nitrogen and quite a few automotive tire shops these days sell nitrogen as well. All you have to do is remove the shocks, pull the metal cap out of the reservoir end to expose a standard Schrader valve just like the ones used to put air in your tires. Flush the valve with brake cleaner or similar because most likely there will be some grunge and grit in it and you don't want to inject that into the reservoir. Have them fill the shocks to 200psi or so and then you'll have to find a cap to put back over the end of the reservoir - because you tore up the metal one removing it - but that's OK it didn't do a very good job of sealing out the dirt anyway. Those band-seal rubber end caps with a hose clamp do a good job. I think they sell them (or more likely a chinese knock-off) at Home Depot.

Now, if you're riding around with chopped up 11 year old oil like Mr. Vendetta :bgwb: and you need to have the oil changed you can usually get that done at a m/c dealership as well - most of them change fork and shock oil - but if you're talking total rebuild (i.e., they're leaking or not damping well even with fresh oil) then you're better off going to a dedicated suspension shop like Bruce's. Some motorcycle dealerships rebuild shocks but most send them off. One thing - if you're going the m/c shop oil change/rebuild route I'd suggest leaving the front shocks in a box and showing them only the rear shocks. If you show them those bass ackwards front shocks they're likely to show you the door! :bgwb: