PDA

View Full Version : VIN Lookup request

ZeroSix
10/19/2011, 07:14 PM
Is there a good samaritan out there with a VIN lookup / History account?

Im trying to buy one, but the vehicle looks fishy....

Thanks

vt_maverick
10/19/2011, 07:29 PM
PM me the VIN and your email address and I'll shoot it back to you.

Grif
10/19/2011, 07:29 PM
Hit me with the VIN, I'll run an Autocheck report if you like.

Grif
10/19/2011, 07:30 PM
ROFL.... Mav was in seconds before I.

ZeroSix
10/19/2011, 07:42 PM
WOW!!!

I love this site.... AND I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

(because of this site, I must say, I have not found a perfect VX)

PM on the way!!

Thanks Again!

ZeroSix
10/19/2011, 07:46 PM
oooh!

Pm'd both you gentlemen. I dunno know if its different query companoes (ACarfax vs Autocheck or somethingelse)

BTW, This guy is asking for 4500 and he does admit its a salvage. I suspect something is up. The body is pretty pristine.

94k miles. new front fairings, fender, and driver side headlight. Its an ebony

Grif
10/19/2011, 07:50 PM
Autocheck report attached. I'm not shy, will post in public, dunno why not. Sue me.

And this one does not look pretty at all.

vt_maverick
10/19/2011, 07:58 PM
+1 - Got a link to the ad out of curiousity?

And Grif while I beat you to the thread you must have beat me to AutoCheck... :)

deermagnet
10/19/2011, 08:04 PM
If ya Google the VIN, photos of the major front end damage show up in the first link for salvage vehicles. I suppose it was all fixed up nice, but that was considerable damage. :(

Mark

vt_maverick
10/19/2011, 08:09 PM
Believe this is the link Mark is referring to:

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-isuzu-vehicross-1999-MTY3NDgxOTA

Hey if you're interested in that I've got one down the street for sale too. ;) :_crying:

VXjunky
10/19/2011, 08:09 PM
curious if the airbags deployed?

vt_maverick
10/19/2011, 08:15 PM
Is this the one you're looking at?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2629609088.html

CL Pic:

http://images.craigslist.org/5Y45T65U33kb3oe3laba27be22cc70ad71542.jpg

Salvage Pic:

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20100707/16748190_2X.JPG

ZeroSix
10/19/2011, 09:05 PM
Holy CRAP!!!!

Uh, do you guys suggest a pass I take it?

tom4bren
10/20/2011, 05:00 AM
I dunno. Looks like they did a great job on the salvage. At that price I'd be tempted.

samneil2000
10/20/2011, 05:46 AM
I dunno. Looks like they did a great job on the salvage. At that price I'd be tempted.

I agree. The damage appears to be limited to the front clip. Nothing structural really. Looks like the air bags didn't deploy either. I'd say it looks like a decent buy.

Riff Raff
10/20/2011, 06:18 AM
I'd skip it and keep searching for a different VX that has a clean title. A "Salvage Title" (S.T.) on the official title document is the permanent K.O.D., and will stay with the vehicle for the rest of its life here on Earth. Trying to re-sell a S.T. vehicle to another follow-on owner is very difficult, and if you buy it you'll most likely be stuck with it. Run, Forest, Run!!!

:thumbdn:

tom4bren
10/20/2011, 06:37 AM
I'd skip it and keep searching for a different VX that has a clean title. A "Salvage Title" (S.T.) on the official title document is the permanent K.O.D., and will stay with the vehicle for the rest of its life here on Earth. Trying to re-sell a S.T. vehicle to another follow-on owner is very difficult, and if you buy it you'll most likely be stuck with it. Run, Forest, Run!!!

:thumbdn:

It really depends on why you're buying it. If you are gonna flip it - move on, it's not the right one based on the statements above.

If you are addicted to a VX and plan on giving deermagnet a run for his money then this is very likely the one for you.

If you plan on keeping it stock, then it's a toss up. At that price you won't be able to touch a pristine one but there may be some further repairs in store for you.

If you plan on modifying it heavily during your marriage to the VX, then this one is probably perfect for you.

I wish there was a straight answer for you but it really depends on your intentions after purchase.

deermagnet
10/20/2011, 06:49 AM
Of course, you have to take a real close look and drive it. The price is good if it checks out, but for example, there's one over in Pittsburgh for only $6,000. It started in June at $9,000. It's not real close to you and has more miles, but it's a one owner and looks like it's in fantastic shape. For only $1500 more plus the expense of getting it back home.

http://www.martinautosalesinc.com/newandusedcars/Vehicross (http://www.martinautosalesinc.com/newandusedcars/0/1123040/9cdc0049-c19c-455f-902a-26a20478801b/none/1999-Isuzu-VehiCROSS-Pittsburgh-PA-15226.aspx)

Mark

vt_maverick
10/20/2011, 08:34 AM
It really depends on why you're buying it. If you are gonna flip it - move on, it's not the right one based on the statements above.

If you are addicted to a VX and plan on giving deermagnet a run for his money then this is very likely the one for you.

If you plan on keeping it stock, then it's a toss up. At that price you won't be able to touch a pristine one but there may be some further repairs in store for you.

If you plan on modifying it heavily during your marriage to the VX, then this one is probably perfect for you.

I wish there was a straight answer for you but it really depends on your intentions after purchase.

Good advice, but I'd really caution you to buy it ONLY if you intend to mod or offroad it heavily. Even if the body, frame, etc. look good on visual inspection there's just no way to know what kind of internal damage might be there, or perhaps more importantly, if the safety systems still work as intended. For example, there's no way to know if the air bags will work until you actually need them. (And from personal experience, trust me you want them.) The starting salvage bid was $1300 and he now wants $4500 for it. That's only $3200 to repair and/or replace pretty much all the front body panels, trim, headlights, marker lights, turn signals, radiator, and bumper bar as well as repair the engine and/or other internals if they were damaged. What's the likelihood that he just bought a used dash sans air bags and installed that to save himself a nice chunk of change? Even if he replaced them, what are the odds that he used all new parts rather than used (and hopefully undetonated) air bags from another salvage VX?

If you intend this to be anything other than a weekend recreation vehicle I'd steer clear, even at that price. Just my $.02.

Triathlete
10/20/2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like a LOT of rust on the front end in the "before" pics. Also, the wheels are cheap chevy truck wheels not the originals (why someone would replace the Zu stock wheels with those is beyond me :( )...not a big factor I guess if you plan on aftermarket wheels/tires.

Triathlete
10/20/2011, 09:00 AM
Also, as a side note to what Vt Mav said above...
I had a very minor accident in mine a few years back. Did not deploy bags and was no where near as bad as this one appears...to repair it right it was over $3500. Only major parts needed on mine was front cladding, radiator and a few small things + paint. The damage on this one looks much more substantial!

Moonrover
10/20/2011, 07:30 PM
The ads are saying its located in Chicago Heights. This is just down the road from me anybody have a better idea of the exact location?

ZeroSix
10/21/2011, 06:30 PM
Moonrover: It more downstate. called. Did not offer anything, but just a test drive. If he comes down, it might be a good deal. Target: 3K

i am basically thinking its a First VX to learn from (God knows I have been dreaming for one since 04). I pine for an Ironman. Plus the SVX is dying. Euthanasia.....

I do not plan to offroad a VX , but more the PUV daily... stiffer suspension, more urban. But thats not in stone. Worse case: It does well, for a few years, buy better, run and perfect every mod idea, then use for parts.

Ergo: Tips what to look for aside from the checklist?

And is that the bumper rusted off?

thanks Again!

ZeroSix
10/23/2011, 08:56 AM
So I looked at it.

No Sale.

The PS was leaking badly, Paint was a cheap job, and really bad rust spot on the roof about 4 inches in diameter. I offered 3K , but said no. Plus it was a dealership so 6.25 tax just did not do it right for me.

This had an aftermarket exhaust, and good engine.

Thank for the help everyone.