PDA

View Full Version : CEL p0440 back on after gas cap replacement

bearandbee
10/19/2011, 09:40 PM
Just purchased and need to pass inspection ASAP. My lines around the EGR look OK. Anyone know what I should inspect or replace next? Many thanks!

nocturnalVX
10/20/2011, 05:47 AM
My VX has that code constantly popping up, and a couple of mechanics have found nothing wrong with the evap system. The theory is that there is an electrical gremlin causing the trouble code, but I have not had time or $$$ to chase it down. I tried being sneaky and clearing the code a day before getting the VX tested, but (even though it didn't "fail") it did not successfully get through the testing... I brought the VX in to my mechanic near the testing facility, and he got it passed. However, 0440 reared it's ugly head again soon after. Good luck!

deermagnet
10/20/2011, 06:01 AM
EVAP problems are a real pain. I could be so many things that it's hard to pin it down. The system detects very small leaks that could be anywhere. An Isuzu mechanic with the Tech2 scan tool is the best way to find problems.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx2/p0440.gif

I have an Isuzu tech video for EVAP concerns that may give you a headache when you see how this system works. The P0440 code is mentioned in the vid. I believe you need a RealPlayer to view it.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag2/realplay.gif (http://www.real.com)

23.2 MB, 12:58 - http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/evap.rm (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/evap.rm)

Mark Griffin

bearandbee
10/20/2011, 06:19 AM
THANKS! I'll review the video and then check prices on a Isuzu mechanic in north Atlanta.

bearandbee
10/20/2011, 07:36 AM
Dealership says it could be because I replaced with a aftermarket cap. Isuzu cap is $48. Diagnostic service is $97.....hmmm

Triathlete
10/20/2011, 08:40 AM
If the code came up AFTER you replaced your cap I would say it is the aftermarket cap.

bearandbee
10/20/2011, 10:45 AM
If the code came up AFTER you replaced your cap I would say it is the aftermarket cap.

No the code was on when I purchased. I replaced cap and cleared code. Then code came back at 1/2 tank, 110 miles.

Gussie2000
10/20/2011, 02:49 PM
Then is not the gas cap.

Is more likely a vacuum hose leaking or electrical gremlin

Amnesia
10/20/2011, 03:08 PM
I've had my VX since it had around 30,000 miles on it and I'm the 2nd owner. I got that dreaded code & CEL sometime after that... can't remember when, but must have been after 100,000 miles, since I bought an extended aftermarket warranty & would have taken it it otherwise.

So the light comes on shortly after 100,000 miles & stays on... at first it would go off on it's own, but then return. This happened a few times & then it just stayed on. I replaced the EGR once and it stayed off for a few months. Then back on. I finally just accepted it & lived with it for years...

Then this past fall I developed a REALLY high idle. At first it jumped to around 1200RPM or so, & over the course of a couple of weeks, it had progressed to around 3200-3400RPM. Bad news for winter driving, since it wanted to push me instead of letting me stop. (Also VERY harsh engagement into Drive!)

So this past winter with over 200,000 miles on the clock, I replaced the lower intake gasket to fix the vacuum leak that was giving me the HIGH idle. (2nd time I've replaced that due to vacuum leaks, but the first time I didn't have a high idle at all... if I remember right it was just running a little rough.) Anyway - I put it all back together & fire it up and to my dismay, the idle was STILL high... Although lower than it had been. It was still around 2500 or so. Crap. This is great. I revved it. I drove it. I shut it down... Next time I started it up it was a little lower... Then it was lower again. By the end of the next day, my idle had returned to normal & it was running like a champ again. I think that since it was so bad, for so long that the computer had to relearn and adjust over a few start / run cycles.

The point of my story is this. This time when I replaced the lower intake manifold, I realized that in the process of doing so, I had previously allowed the right, rear corner of the intake rest on the gasket while I was trying to re-position things; struggling with a fuel line bracket or something back there that makes this step a PITA. Anway - I think that when this happened before, that it left an indention in the gasket which still allowed a small leak, that eventually let go and developed a large leak that led to my high idle. Since replacing the gasket this past winter, my light went off & has stayed off for nearly 10,000 miles!

Also, before the idle found it's way back to normal, I did a few other things. I carb cleaned the heck out of the MAF (in the air-intake tube), as well as taking the IAC motor off carb cleaning it out thoroughly too...

Might be something worth looking into.

nocturnalVX
05/05/2012, 02:32 PM
I finally got my VX free of the CEL code P0440 by having the air filter valve (part # 8-97130-368-0) replaced.

blacksambo
05/05/2012, 08:46 PM
What's an air filter valve?

nocturnalVX
05/06/2012, 08:56 AM
What's an air filter valve?

Some goofy solenoid thingamabob (possibly a doohickey... I'm not quite sure) that causes CEL code P0440 (EVAP system malfunction) when it goes bad.

Ldub
05/06/2012, 09:16 AM
Some goofy solenoid thingamabob (possibly a doohickey... I'm not quite sure) that causes CEL code P0440 (EVAP system malfunction) when it goes bad.

:laughing:

Could you PLEASE get a part # for that...:laughing:

nocturnalVX
05/06/2012, 09:31 AM
I posted the part # if you really need it, but Merlin can let you know for sure if it is a thingamabob or a doohickey. See you soon bro!
:_beer:

nocturnalVX
06/17/2014, 08:25 AM
Here is that thread we we talking about last night. I hope it helps getting Suzie better.

Oh, and it turns out it is not a thingamabob OR a doohickey... it's a whatzitznutz. FYI

Ldub
06/17/2014, 01:04 PM
Here is that thread we we talking about last night. I hope it helps getting Suzie better.

Oh, and it turns out it is not a thingamabob OR a doohickey... it's a whatzitznutz. FYI

Thanx Gill...U Da Dood...:thumbup:

tom4bren
06/17/2014, 01:21 PM
I think that 'whatzitznutz' is called the purge valve solenoid.

The little research I did though indicates that it could still be (in order of likelihood):

non-OEM gas cap
Cracked evap canister
split hose or leaky connection
purge valve solenoid
wiring harness or bad connection

I still get the P0442 code on the Amigo regularly (but only when the fuel drops below 1/2 tank). I'm running an aftermarket gas cap but should probably switch back to the OEM since the replacement didn't fix the problem.

The US.RV shop manual has pages & pages on the subject. It just hasn't bothered me enough to try & chase down that gremlin yet.

Ldub
06/17/2014, 03:41 PM
I think that 'whatzitznutz' is called the purge valve solenoid.

The little research I did though indicates that it could still be (in order of likelihood):

non-OEM gas cap
Cracked evap canister
split hose or leaky connection
purge valve solenoid
wiring harness or bad connection

I still get the P0442 code on the Amigo regularly (but only when the fuel drops below 1/2 tank). I'm running an aftermarket gas cap but should probably switch back to the OEM since the replacement didn't fix the problem.

The US.RV shop manual has pages & pages on the subject. It just hasn't bothered me enough to try & chase down that gremlin yet.

My Amigo has had the ck engine light (maybe it's a Calvin Klein sublim ad) on since about 1 day after I brought it home from the used car lot where I found her. Had the code read, & same-same.
Pulled tha ol' switcheroo VX-Amigo re: gas cap...no change...:_thinking

The only thing that makes the light go off for any appreciable amount of time is -15 degF & lower. Mebbe that's just too dam cold for tha light...to emit...:_confused..:laughing:

But that kajigger what Gill wuz talk'n about sounds like a promising next step...:thumbup:

Marlin
06/18/2014, 01:26 PM
Mine has been throwing p0440 for almost 6 years, about once a week or so. I just reset it with the ol scangage and not worry about it. Every once in a while I get the 441, which I believe is in the same category.

johnnyapollo
06/20/2014, 02:39 AM
I've been getting the C0441 also for about a year - tried all the obvious steps (replacing gas cap, etc). Goes off after a fill-up then comes back on at about half a tank. I just wait for it to go off to get the yearly emission sticker. It's irritating not to be able to figure out how to get rid of it completely.

-- John

tom4bren
06/20/2014, 05:26 AM
My Amigo has had the ck engine light (maybe it's a Calvin Klein sublim ad) on since about 1 day after I brought it home from the used car lot where I found her.

Mebbe I missed the post or sump'n. What year did you get? Does it have the 3.2L? Stick or Auto?

Mine's a '99 with the 3.2L 5spd. Previous owner upgraded to leather interior, added the temp/compass cluster on the ceiling & added the stock cruise control from a donor. It has the hard top but I need to get a rag top for it for summer use (I'd also like to get the hard top LineX'd since it's faded - cheap option for me now since Boy is working at LineX this summer & gets it done for cost of materials). I put on a 3" lift but haven't upgraded the tires yet so it's kinda funny lookin at the moment.