deermagnet
10/20/2011, 08:29 AM
edit

blacksambo
10/20/2011, 07:34 PM
Nice work. And...smart thinking!

johnnyapollo
10/21/2011, 03:04 AM
So the "replacement" from that SB has an o-ring that the original didn't - obstensibly to correct for a rough or "off" finish on the surface of the casing. I wonder why they didn't just add a copper crush washer to the old to make a seal? Looks to me that you're only supposed to apply 28 lb ft of torque and the allen is there to keep you from over-tightening - either that or the plug is designed to be "disposable" (single use). Let us know how the new one works out. If you look around there's also a washer that has a neoprene backing that might work to improve the seal against the casing if the one you have doesn't fix the leak.

-- John

Ebenezr
10/21/2011, 04:05 AM
No one should have to go thru that.

evillecutter
12/11/2012, 01:19 PM
i know this thread is old but im going through a similar situation: i changed the trans fluid and everything was fine but when i went to put the bolt back in the overflow i noticed something hanging off of it - it was the little rubber gasket falling off - i put it back on but it leaks so i made my own gasket out of a very thin piece of rubber/plastic stuff i had lying around and it worked for a day or two but i have a very slow leak again - i ordered the dorman replacement bolt that deermagnet found (thanks deermagnet) but i noticed it is quite a bit longer than the original trans bolt - this extra length will not interfere with the trans?

vt_maverick
12/11/2012, 07:07 PM
So does this mean the oil pan plug should have an o-ring or crush washer too? Mine has neither...

Scott Larson
12/12/2012, 02:53 PM
So Mark, I take it that you really dislike the Isuzu replacement plug? :_confused :rotate:

Scott Larson
12/12/2012, 09:24 PM
You mean to say that it's even worse then cooked cabbage, stewed tomatoes and liver?? ...IMPOSSIBLE!! ;puke2;

PK
12/12/2012, 09:56 PM
That type of plug is widely used in high pressure hydraulic valving.
The design of the entrapped o-ring means that any pressure trying to get out, helps the seal to tighten.
They have a reputation of needing the BFH treatment to get them out.

Total overkill for our transmission pans.

PK

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/13/2012, 09:18 PM
My memory is really getting bad nowadays but I'm pretty sure I used teflon thread-sealing tape on mine even though I had no signs of leakage to keep it that way.