PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the gun rack!

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 12:51 AM
This past week I purchased an M4 carbine, I am absolutely loving this gun. Anyone else have an M4/AR-15/M-16 here?

bearandbee
10/21/2011, 06:09 AM
I've got a similair AR 10 but I need to get it sighted in for deer season. research putting a can on your new toy

WormGod
10/21/2011, 06:58 AM
Yep yep. You will fully enjoy it. I have a Bushmaster M4 that I absolutely love.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/arplink.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21638)

I too just added another plinker to my arsenal. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 to have something cheaper to shoot just a couple weeks ago.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/images/1103.jpg

Started accessorizing it and by next week, will look much like this, with the new stock, clip release, and muzzle....

http://www.pisnnapalm.com/pics/ruger/1-25-2008/DSC00486.JPG

(minus lame bipod)

Best part is, the little lady will shoot this one. She is afraid to death of the M4. Sadly, getting a better magazine other than the unpopular rotary feed block is a pain here in MD. The only decent mags I can find are 25rd, and anything over 20 is illegal here. Gonna have to take a road trip to PA or VA soon. ;)

carlymac
10/21/2011, 08:51 AM
Congrats,
I'm a LEO in Tennessee and have an AR-15 to use as a patrol rifle, I paired it with an Eotech halo-sight and a few other tricks...All I can say is dang! she's a tack driver.

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 09:21 AM
I recently sold my ruger 10/22, but I'm gonna be picking up a .22lr dedicated upper for the M4. Also gonna be getting a holographic EOtech soon, the guy I bought the gun from is gonna sell It to me for $75!

carlymac
10/21/2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a good deal on the eotech!...Just make sure it's not for an airsoft...they aren't happt riding atop a .223
It might be ok for the .22 upper but still not as robust.
If that is a sure enough eotech thats a honey of a deal!!

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 09:40 AM
That's what I thought! But yea I got the gun for a great deal too. The guy I got it from has been building them since he was young and has been in afganistan for three years and got back home last week. He gets the parts and stuff at a discout and builds them and then sells them to local friends and such. I got the whole gun for around $700 and it's not some cheap gun. He uses only the best parts. It's like a Frankenstein gun because every part is from a different company but comes together to make a perfect rifle.

carlymac
10/21/2011, 09:51 AM
Then I'd say jump on it....I promise one of those guys stationed in Afganistan would NEVER put a toy sight on a rifle that may decide him coming home or not.

As for the kit AR's...as long as the parts are Mil-Spec parts they are fine. I built my ShARps lower with the components I wanted and it runs flawlessly, slapped a bushmaster flat top upper with the Eotech and flip up rear iron sights (BUIS). Its a fine rifle...I'd feel like any fire fight is unfair to my advantage with that rifle in my hand. A few coyotes will agree that the eotech isn't JUST for close fire as well

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 11:10 AM
Yea, I was pretty sure a military man would never even consider putting a toy sight on one of his rifles lol. All of the parts seem above and beyond quality. I have fired almost 100 rounds through this thing already and I haven't been easy on it either. Ran two clips straight through as fast as I could pull the trigger and not even a hiccup! Even my 10/22 Ruger would hiccup now and again doing that. It has an upgraded trigger system with only a 2lb pull on it, this thing runs like butter.

Only thing im worried about is the lower receiver is made by Moores Machine Company and ive heard lots of problems with that particular brand, but the problems ive read about, all concern the BCG and having FTE or FTF's at least once every clip but the BCG on this rifle has been replaced with a DPMS and the entire upper is a different brand so hopefully I wont experience any problems with the rest of this lower.

Etfren
10/21/2011, 12:20 PM
I recently sold my ruger 10/22, but I'm gonna be picking up a .22lr dedicated upper for the M4. Also gonna be getting a holographic EOtech soon, the guy I bought the gun from is gonna sell It to me for $75!

Do you need a full upper to convert it for use with .22lr? A friend of mine had an AR and he bought a kit that was just a new bolt and a new mag for .22lr. Just swap bolts and put the new mag with .22s and its good to go.

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 12:28 PM
Do you need a full upper to convert it for use with .22lr? A friend of mine had an AR and he bought a kit that was just a new bolt and a new mag for .22lr. Just swap bolts and put the new mag with .22s and its good to go.

Yea ive seen those kits, they run about $160 but ive read that they sometimes have feed problems and can break after a couple thousand rounds. Also the twist rate on the 5.56/.223 barrel is way off for a .22lr round. Id rather spend $350 for a dedicated upper that I know will last and has a correct twist rate. :yesb:

Etfren
10/21/2011, 01:38 PM
I figured you had your reasons, just wanted to see what they were.

His kit worked fine and I don't remember having any feed issues with it. I know we shot a lot more .22 through it than .223. For the price difference, its probably worth the peace of mind. Didn't know about the difference in twist rates on them, that's cool to know.

Exclamation
10/21/2011, 04:40 PM
Yea it's like 1:17 for a .22 and the .223 barrel is set at 1:7 or 1:8 I believe

p_justin13
10/21/2011, 06:29 PM
I got a nice upper .22 conversion from www.atlanticfirearms.com was pretty cheap and had no problems with it though I ended up just buying the new s&w m&p ar-15-22 was only like 450.00 and is built very well. Much betther than the colt version. With ammo getting so expensive more weekends are spent with the plinkers than the .223,.308,.50,and the .45's had to break our car shoot weekends to once every 6 months 2 grand in ammo goes quick with belt feds. lol