PDA

View Full Version : Steering not.....steering.

Breezy
10/26/2011, 11:09 AM
I was getting on the on-ramp the other day and its a sharp right hand turn (the road I was coming off of ran perpendicular to the interstate) and its was lightly raining. It had rained all day however. As I begin to speed up and make the corner of the on-ramp, I notice my wheels are turned far right, but my VX is continuing in a straight line. I let off the gas and after a second or two it caught itself, straightened up with the wheels and began to turn like it should have. I was not accelerating excessively here.

There is a very sharp curvy road on my way to work. It was raining this morning as well. I was going excessively fast here because it is fun. It's not an actual road I guess. It's a long driveway into the Kohler Engines plant. But anyways. I'm bookin' it into this corner and I try to turn and again the vehicle slides straight as if I had not turned at all. Thought I was going to hit the curb. I got nervous.

I realize I am no longer driving a Subaru, but I expected a bit more control than this. Could this be a result of tires that don't have much treat left in them? TOD works perfectly fine, and eve with just rear-wheel drive only I thought that the front tires should grip more than they've proved to me lately. The current rubbers I have on now probably only have 5-8 thousand more miles left on them, and if I could afford it, I'd replace them right now.

tom4bren
10/26/2011, 08:18 PM
If your tires are suspect then I'd guess that is your problem. I've found the VX to corner remarkably well considering the height and weight of the vehicle.

Scott Larson
10/26/2011, 08:21 PM
That is odd, mine corners like it's on rails...

deermagnet
10/26/2011, 08:27 PM
very sharp curvy road.... It was raining.... I was going excessively fast
Yeah, I'm thinking it was the tires in those conditions. Just post a picture tomorrow of a front tire very close-up and we'll see how they look.

Snow season is right around the corner. You better slow way down until you get used to the VX with those tries in the snow.

Mark

Breezy
10/27/2011, 05:32 AM
I wasn't going faster than what I thought the car could handle. But it slipped regardless. I'll get a pic of the tires this afternoon and try to figure out how to post it on here and see if you guys think that may be what the issue is, or if perhaps it is just the car itself. My Impreza never did that though on that corner, even when wet, but I had very nice tires on the Impreza too. And I know the VX isn't a low CG rally car, but still....it did it just getting on an on-ramp...

Exclamation
10/27/2011, 10:53 AM
I personally have been able to take pretty sharp corners at 65+ and medium corners at almost 80. Only got a little bit of tire squeal but still handles amazing. Im used to a mazda Miata and an RX8 as previous cars, and this VX isnt too shabby compared to them.

frankd14321
10/27/2011, 11:55 AM
Ya personally I own a modded Mitsubishi evolution that can take hairpins in the rain at 50mph...

My VX? well I haven't had it in the rain yet but it feels like my evo just higher.. it handles very well with little to no body roll..

Not sure what's up with yours, that's a scary position to be in.

Breezy
10/27/2011, 12:04 PM
It wasn't really a body roll issue. I really think it's a tire tread thing. I'll try to get a picture this afternoon.

H3_VX
01/08/2012, 12:24 PM
Yay, found this thread on steering. Maybe someone can advise me. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten the steering on my VX. FYI, I have new tires with less than 2,000 miles on them.

tom4bren
01/11/2012, 05:20 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to tighten the steering on my VX.

What do you mean? Do you have play in your steering wheel? Are you trying to decrease your turning radius?

I assume you have play in your steering because the turning radius of the VX is already pretty awsome. There is a set screw on top of your steering box (actually a plunger that adjusts the backlash on your worm gear). Loosen the lock collar, adjust the set screw, tighten the lock collar. You'll have to use some trial-n-error adjustments to get it where you want it.