PDA

View Full Version : 35 inch tires

SouthJ1
10/30/2011, 08:15 PM
Can I fit 35 inch tires easily with a 3 inch lift? And how bad will it affect my gas mileage? I'm sorry I'm such a noob I just don't know enough about the vxs yet.

VX KAT
10/30/2011, 08:28 PM
This is probably the most asked question. There's literally a gazillion threads with details on this and a ton of helpful info, and very current. You really do have to use the search function. Take a look at the "How To" section. TaylorRichie did a "lift wiki" and it has some info on tire sizes too.
Explore the site a bit more, you've find a ton of great info.

VXorado
10/31/2011, 08:31 PM
Can I fit 35 inch tires easily with a 3 inch lift? And how bad will it affect my gas mileage? I'm sorry I'm such a noob I just don't know enough about the vxs yet.

I posted a lot of info for specifically fitting 35" tires in a recent thread (7" of lift...). I use the VX as a daily driver and average 14 MPG with mostly city driving.

Riff Raff
10/31/2011, 11:29 PM
The perfect size 35" tire for the VX is 285/75R18 (aka 35x11.50-18), and if mounted on 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 stock VX rims will help minimize rubbing interference within the front wheel-wells.

There are only four(4) tires made in the 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size:

A. Toyo - A/T
B. Toyo - M/T
C. Maxxis - "BigHorn" M/T
D. G/Y - Wrangler M/T-R with Kevlar

Gas mileage is gonna' really suck due to the heavy weight of the tires in the 65 lbs range per tire and increased tire drag. By comparison, our OEM factory tires only weigh 34 lbs each. In addition, brake stopping distances will dramatically increase.

:bgwb:

Triathlete
11/01/2011, 08:34 AM
If you are not afraid of the sawzall and bfh you can fit 35's. Bigmeatvx had 35's with no lift. I would HIGHLY recommend that you regear your diffs...it will keep everything much happier. Along those lines the added strain on the front end components will require a friendlier approach to offroading to keep things in one piece.

LittleBeast
11/01/2011, 11:37 AM
The perfect size 35" tire for the VX is 285/75R18 (aka 35x11.50-18),
This is Riff's personal opinion, not too many others on here feel the same way, depends on what you are looking for, if you are afraid of every modification that might have any type of neagtive to it or might not be super easy than you will probably agree with Riff ;-)

and if mounted on 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 stock VX rims will help minimize rubbing interference within the front wheel-wells.
This is very true, but this absoluetly does not matter and is super easy to fix with a little modification.

Gas mileage is gonna' really suck due to the heavy weight of the tires in the 65 lbs range per tire and increased tire drag. By comparison, our OEM factory tires only weigh 34 lbs each. In addition, brake stopping distances will dramatically increase.

It is not that bad, don't be afraid of it. If you were too worried about these things you probably would not be asking.

JoFotoz
11/01/2011, 01:15 PM
It really depends...

...on your definition of easily!

Some surgery will be required.
Namely trimming the front cladding for turn clearance..( sharp box cutter works just fine)
..and cutting the cladding and grinding/cutting the metal brace behind front wheel.
Nothing structural....maybe an hours work...cut/drive/test..cut/drive/test.

Rear should not require any surgery, though clearance at front of rear wheel will diminish some due to rotational forward movement of axle given larger tire diameter.

And I do agree with Ryan ( LittleBeast)..."perfect" is very subjective relative to tire sizes.
Given you have a 1999..16 inch are right if you use original rims.
As for width....IMO..11.50 "looks" too skinny...
...I run 35x16x12.50 Mud Grapplers.

As for gas mileage...I get 10-12 short hop town driving....14-15 Highway.

Hope this helps

:cool:

jo

VXorado
11/01/2011, 01:41 PM
The perfect size 35" tire for the VX is 285/75R18 (aka 35x11.50-18), and if mounted on 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 stock VX rims will help minimize rubbing interference within the front wheel-wells.

Here we go again Riff Raff :rolleyes::p. J/k here are some good points but tire size is subjective... has anyone actually ran the 35s on stock rims? You might have the tire rub when turning on the inner part of the wheel well/sway bar/ engine bay/frame which may not be able to chopped away. I think its a great idea but just saying that until we see it (correct me if someone has done it), the "perfect tire size" may not fit perfectly.

Personally I don't like 35s on 18s because of the rim damage you will likely get offroading. A wider stance from a more negative rim offset & 12.50 width tire will give you more road stability and if money is an issue, there is about $700 difference between the same tires on 15s. Like I said... subjective;).

Checked my mileage again today, 13.8 MPG on the last tank which is a nice drop from when I was running 32" tires (~16MPG)

Braking is fine. I was worried about the VX being slow to stop but surprisingly its really not an issue. Obviously it will be worse than stock.