PDA

View Full Version : Salem, MA on Halloween

JAMAS
10/31/2011, 05:51 AM
I am currently sitting in the hotel lobby of the Boston Seaport Hotel, on a work sponsored trip to a users conference. After the conference ends for the day, me and two friends/co-workers have the evening to ourselves. Aside from being able to trick or treat with my Son, I can't think of any better way to spend halloween than to go have a couple beers in Salem.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a great "hole in the wall" bar or other must stop restaurant in Salem?

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 07:29 AM
Sorry, never been so can't help.

Saw online that you are a week too early though. Next week they are having some big resteraunt event with all kinds of specials.

They mentioned something about "Resteraunt Week". Not sure if its a website or a little newspaper thinggy. Ask the front desk at your hotel.

JAMAS
10/31/2011, 08:42 AM
Sorry, never been so can't help.

Saw online that you are a week too early though. Next week they are having some big resteraunt event with all kinds of specials.

They mentioned something about "Resteraunt Week". Not sure if its a website or a little newspaper thinggy. Ask the front desk at your hotel.

I'll go check and see if they have any info at the front desk. Perhaps the highlighted restaurants for next week will be just as delicious this week.

tom4bren
10/31/2011, 09:00 AM
Perhaps the highlighted restaurants for next week will be just as delicious this week.

Well the food anyway. Never tasted a resteraunt before.

nocturnalVX
10/31/2011, 09:22 AM
O'Neil's pub has good food & great atmosphere, so I'd suggest heading there. They do have a bad habit of charging at the door due to the Halloween crowds though...

I also would HIGHLY suggest catching a cab to Hammond Castle in Gloucester if they are doing it up as a haunted house again. Very spooky place!

One last thing... if you happen to run in to Laurie Cabot, tell her Gill from Chicago says hello!

Exclamation
10/31/2011, 01:08 PM
One amazing place to have dinner is Top of the Hub in boston, one of my favorite places for sure. Amazing view and amazing food. Not really the "hole in the wall" place your looking for though. But just in case your ever up for a nice dinner thats the place to go.

I have been in salem for halloween before and just a heads up. Be prepared to be stuck in traffic and large crowds ALL night haha. Sorry I cant give advice on the bars, I dont ever go.

nocturnalVX
10/31/2011, 01:50 PM
I have been in salem for halloween before and just a heads up. Be prepared to be stuck in traffic and large crowds ALL night haha. Sorry I cant give advice on the bars, I dont ever go.

Salem on Halloween is like Mardi Gras in N'awlins... might be more fun, but the crowds are too much. Also, the town takes on a schizo vibe in that there's the costumed partying going on side-by-side with solemn candlelight vigils to Gallows Hill. Then, of course, there are the holy-roller types telling everyone else that they are going to hell... Odd place indeed on Samhain!

Have fun, and enjoy one of my favorite places. Wish I could be there too!

Monstertrucker
10/31/2011, 02:56 PM
I remember watching Salem's Lot on T.v. when I was about 11 or 12 and it scared the living bejesus out of me when the Vampire boy appeared at the window!

Didn't some massacre or Witch-hunt happen there once?

nocturnalVX
10/31/2011, 03:23 PM
Didn't some massacre or Witch-hunt happen there once?

Yup. Back in the late 1600s, there was a nasty combination of religious hysteria and just plain corruption that caused many people to lose all their possessions and property if not their lives. Want your neighbor's farm? Call "Witch", and it's yours! When people of "higher standing" started being accused of Witchcraft, the stupidity was put to a quick end. Luckily it was short lived, and not as wide spread as the evils in Europe.