PDA

View Full Version : Possible engine problem?

Exclamation
10/31/2011, 10:47 PM
I dont know if this is normal for a VX or not, but whenever I get on the gas in my vx and get over 4k rpms or so, it lets out a very large amount of gray/whiteish smoke out the back and my friends who have driven behind me say it smells bad. Now if I have my windows cracked and get on it the cabin is filled with a burning smell. Any information would be a help.

Riff Raff
10/31/2011, 11:09 PM
My guess would be faulty cat's. How many miles are on your VX??? Go to a reputable exhaust shop and have your entire exhaust system checked-out on the rack, including the cat's.

:bgwb:

etlsport
11/01/2011, 04:21 AM
Mine too

VXobsession
11/01/2011, 03:39 PM
Mine did that recently when I blew the front seal on my tranny.

Exclamation
11/01/2011, 11:16 PM
Ive had many problems with my tranny in the past so wouldn't doubt that might be a problem.

Also my exhaust is very rusted out and old sooo that could be a problem as well. Guess I have a few things to check out.

Y33TREKker
11/02/2011, 11:41 PM
Have you noticed any of your fluid levels going down since this started: oil, trans fluid, coolant, etc?

Riff Raff
11/02/2011, 11:48 PM
Have you noticed any of your fluid levels going down since this started: oil, trans fluid, coolant, etc?

Good idea, Trek. Maybe put down some fresh newspaper underneath the VX and check for any fresh fluid drippings.

:bgwb:

Y33TREKker
11/03/2011, 10:31 AM
It could go either way. If there are any, leaks could show up on the floor/ground/etc. But with the clouds of smoke being described, it also sounds like any fluid that may be leaking could be hitting the exhaust somewhere and being burnt off before it ever reaches the ground. Either that, or along the lines of what Exclamation said, maybe the clouds of smoke being seen are exhaust gases from leaks/holes in a rusted out exhaust pipe somewhere. If that's the case, my guess would be a leak most likely before the cats.

Exclamation
11/03/2011, 12:06 PM
I had the shop check all of the fluid levels last week and all of them were full (except oil of course but I keep a close eye on it and fill when needed). So I don't think its a fluid leak problem but possibly could be a leak in the exhaust before the cats. Only thing that doesn't seem to add up to me is that the fumes come into the cabin through the windows as if its coming from the engine bay. If they were coming from under the car from the exhaust I wouldn't expect them to be able to come up into the cabin while going down the road. Maybe Im wrong I dono.

samneil2000
11/03/2011, 12:07 PM
Isn't that around the time the baffles change in the intake for high RPM performace? Could be something there?