PDA

View Full Version : My VX replacement.

Ebenezr
11/04/2011, 05:28 PM
So I'm letting the cat out of the bag so to speak. After 4 months of grief with my VX and sinking muchos denaros into it I threw the gauntlet down. I traded it for a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab shortbed 4x4. It came with a camper cap w/bedrug liner, luxury leather interior all power everything. Only 56,000 miles and its a Big Block 8.1 L gas hog yes with an Allison transmission yay!!! I can pull anything now. It has a performance tuning chip with performance magnaflow exhaust, Airraid air filter, throttle body extender and awesome Huge tubular running whatever side step things. It has ferocious get up and go and I love it. (10.6 MPG :o ) My wife is happy now cause I can fit the family.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/truck1.gif

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/truck2.gif

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/truck3.gif

If you see my 2000 Ebony 0013 for sale buy it only if you have the $$$ for a new engine. :)

Actually here it is my old VX. I sunk a lot of my time $$ and soul into it: http://lanternmotors.com/inventory_detail.php?id=5871&page=gallery&%202000%20Isuzu%20VehiCROSS%20-%20Fort%20Myers%20FL

VXjunky
11/04/2011, 05:39 PM
off with your head

Ebenezr
11/04/2011, 06:14 PM
off with your head

Nyeah heah :p

vt_maverick
11/04/2011, 06:21 PM
I actually stumbled across this ad earlier today and thought "What a nice VX!" Didn't realize it was yours Eb. Sad to hear about all your troubles, but I'm sure the next owner will have a much better experience for all your efforts.

As for the truck... enjoy your return to anonymity. ;) I am not enjoying mine. :_crying:

Ebenezr
11/04/2011, 06:46 PM
I actually stumbled across this ad earlier today and thought "What a nice VX!" Didn't realize it was yours Eb. Sad to hear about all your troubles, but I'm sure the next owner will have a much better experience for all your efforts.

As for the truck... enjoy your return to anonymity. ;) I am not enjoying mine. :_crying:.

It took me a month to arrive at the decision not to buy an engine. It would have been 4-5 grand and more time focused on the VX. Very hard I enjoyed it and always said I would keep it forever but after sinking 4500.00 into it over the last 16 weeks I gave up. That is nearly 300.00 a week! Anonymity it is you don't see many white trucks do you ?? ;)

H3_VX
11/04/2011, 06:54 PM
Congrats on the truck. I think you'll love it. I've owned all GM trucks up until the VX and have had very minimal issues with all of them. As a teenager I owned a 96 GMC Jimmy and ran that thing to over 250,000 miles. :happyface

Ebenezr
11/04/2011, 07:05 PM
Congrats on the truck. I think you'll love it. I've owned all GM trucks up until the VX and have had very minimal issues with all of them. As a teenager I owned a 96 GMC Jimmy and ran that thing to over 250,000 miles. :happyface

Thanks. I bought a brand new 2002 white crew cab 2500hd with a Duramax and Allison trans back in 02. I had to give it up 3 years ago so now it is ressurected only with a gas engine. :happyface I plan to get another 5th wheel or pull behind. I lost those things in my own personal financial storm back then.

Scott Larson
11/05/2011, 09:58 AM
Nice lookin' rig Eb, somebody definitley took care of that truck...she's CLEAN!! Too bad about your VX though, don't be a stranger 'round these parts, ya hear?:bwgy:

Ebenezr
11/05/2011, 12:07 PM
Nice lookin' rig Eb, somebody definitley took care of that truck...she's CLEAN!! Too bad about your VX though, don't be a stranger 'round these parts, ya hear?:bwgy:

Thanks Scott. and I think I have locker in the rear!!! I had to gas it a bit on wet pavement to cross traffic to the median when I did the rear made a funny scary engagement and started walking into the turn I was making.
Scared the heck out of me I thought something broke. I gently reverse and went back where I came from and the thumping went away. The G80 Eaton locking differential was an option when they made these.!! :yesy:

Scott Larson
11/05/2011, 03:47 PM
...And as you've noticed, lock-up can be a bit harsh! Now that you know it's there, the surprise is over...

VXjunky
11/05/2011, 06:53 PM
we pulled our twin axle boat about 10 miles on two flats this summer with our 1 ton chevy dually before i realized something was amiss ......... they was made for towing...love that 454 vor-tech fuel injected engine....gets better gas mileage towing than the wifes escalade or my 2006 f150

Chopper
11/06/2011, 06:20 AM
I have a 2010 Silverado Dually....big Duramax and Allison combo...
I also have a Ford 650 with a Caterpillar, and a Ford 750 with a Ford Oil burner.....all pull 53' goosenecks with 2 cars and some electric carts.....I take the much smaller Chevy everytime. The big Fords track a bit better....MAYBE.
The Chevy PU pulls that trailer like nothing.
Both Fords wear "For Sale" signs at the carshows....even as I prepare to buy another Silverado.......pretty much sums it up I guess.:winkgray:

Ebenezr
11/06/2011, 09:38 AM
I have a 2010 Silverado Dually....big Duramax and Allison combo...
I also have a Ford 650 with a Caterpillar, and a Ford 750 with a Ford Oil burner.....all pull 53' goosenecks with 2 cars and some electric carts.....I take the much smaller Chevy everytime. The big Fords track a bit better....MAYBE.
The Chevy PU pulls that trailer like nothing.
Both Fords wear "For Sale" signs at the carshows....even as I prepare to buy another Silverado.......pretty much sums it up I guess.:winkgray:

I don't even know what a Ford 650 is...It sounds BIG. but it sounds like your pulling more weight than you should with the Silverado??? How much can you pull?

Y33TREKker
11/06/2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe you've listed it here on VX.info somewhere before Ebenezer, but what kind of lift did you have on the VX? Was it lifted when you got it. If you lifted it, did you notice any differences in driveability before and after?

Ebenezr
11/06/2011, 04:24 PM
Maybe you've listed it here on VX.info somewhere before Ebenezer, but what kind of lift did you have on the VX? Was it lifted when you got it. If you lifted it, did you notice any differences in driveability before and after?

It is lifted but I don't know how much. It was done before by a previous owner. :smilegray

Y33TREKker
11/06/2011, 05:22 PM
OK, I found it. One of the previous owners added a 3" lift. I'm not sure if you were the fourth of fifth owner, but it looks like your VX made it's way slowly down the eastern seaboard over the years. New Jersey to Florida.

Chopper
11/06/2011, 07:01 PM
it'll pull 8 tons no worries.....16,500 I think is the limit. Stealerships will tell you 12 or 13 because of most folks licenses, but GM says 16+. (with all the right stuff) The 650 and 750 Fords are frequently used as race haulers or horse transport. Crew cabs and airbrakes....they are just a bit smaller than full sized class 8 Tractors and tug 40k pretty easily. I ran a Peterbilt for a few years, and am really leaning that direction again....but I have the only class 8 license meaning I have to drive it if I do...best to stick to trucks everyone can drive...you know?
We move a bunch of cars around...kinda inconvienient to have a vehicle only the one guy can operate

WormGod
11/07/2011, 06:59 AM
Wow, did that thing come with a crow's nest and mast?

LAND YACHT!

http://primemovers00.tripod.com/landyacht.gif

;)

*ball'bustin"* Enjoy the new ride. :)

Ebenezr
11/07/2011, 11:42 AM
OK, I found it. One of the previous owners added a 3" lift. I'm not sure if you were the fourth of fifth owner, but it looks like your VX made it's way slowly down the eastern seaboard over the years. New Jersey to Florida.
You are correct in your research. and a 3 inch lift is about right. I dropped the front diff by 1.5 inches and that helped a lot with the front CV's.

it'll pull 8 tons no worries.....16,500 I think is the limit. Stealerships will tell you 12 or 13 because of most folks licenses, but GM says 16+. (with all the right stuff) The 650 and 750 Fords are frequently used as race haulers or horse transport. Crew cabs and airbrakes....they are just a bit smaller than full sized class 8 Tractors and tug 40k pretty easily. I ran a Peterbilt for a few years, and am really leaning that direction again....but I have the only class 8 license meaning I have to drive it if I do...best to stick to trucks everyone can drive...you know?
We move a bunch of cars around...kinda inconvienient to have a vehicle only the one guy can operate
8 tons...that's a lot. If I get a fifth wheel or pull behind I will stick to around 8,000 to 10,000 pounds.

LAND YACHT!

http://primemovers00.tripod.com/landyacht.gif

;)

*ball'bustin"* Enjoy the new ride. :)
Hey I want one like that!!!!!

No crow's nest but it did come complete with cat pee in the rear. :mad: It stunk like male cat urine and I didn't catch that till I bought it. I tore the bedrug out yesterday and powerwashed it with detergent. :)

djvx
11/07/2011, 09:05 PM
Adios' muchacho

Y33TREKker
11/07/2011, 11:17 PM
You are correct in your research. and a 3 inch lift is about right. I dropped the front diff by 1.5 inches and that helped a lot with the front CV's.
So you cranked down the torsion bars yourself? What kind of difference are you referring to with the front cv's? Was it going through boots, did it just make the drive-line feel smoother, or ???

VXR
11/08/2011, 01:00 AM

LAND YACHT!

candygram...

Ebenezr
11/08/2011, 04:06 AM
So you cranked down the torsion bars yourself? What kind of difference are you referring to with the front cv's? Was it going through boots, did it just make the drive-line feel smoother, or ???

I didn't mess with torsion bars. The CV shaft angles were quite acute. and some dum dum put a tripod style cv on the passenger side. When I traveled over rough areas and the wheel would drop lower into a lower area of road this would cause the cv to bind up in the green cup on the diff side. and there was an brump brump noise. Another way to discribe this and this is how I found it was when I jacked that wheel off the ground naturally it falls a little lower. I then crawled underneath and spun the wheel by hand and watched the cv. I could see the cv bind and actually pushed the entire differential upward then drop again with each hand revolution of the wheel. I solved this by modifying the differential brackets - as seen in other threads- and dropped the diff by about 1.5 inches.

Y33TREKker
11/08/2011, 01:05 PM
I like the LOOK of a lift, but it's beginning to SOUND as if stock ride height means less P's - ITA's for the VX in the long run overall.

VXR
11/09/2011, 12:02 PM
I like the LOOK of a lift, but it's beginning to SOUND as if stock ride height means less P's - ITA's for the VX in the long run overall.

X2:yesb:

tom4bren
11/09/2011, 12:04 PM

Not really ... as long as you factor in a diff drop for your lift plan.

Y33TREKker
11/09/2011, 01:54 PM
Not really ... as long as you factor in a diff drop for your lift plan.
That's what I mean.

Even diff drop (as described above with custom welded brackets, etc.) SOUNDS like a PITA.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2011, 03:29 PM
There is no "replacing" the VehiCROSS.

Bart

VXR
11/09/2011, 11:15 PM
There is no "replacing" the VehiCROSS.

Bart

X2

except for perhaps with another VX...

tom4bren
11/10/2011, 04:47 AM
That's what I mean.

Even diff drop (as described above with custom welded brackets, etc.) SOUNDS like a PITA.

Nah, it's really not that bad. Sure, you'll spend at least a full day at the job ... & get reeeeeeeal dirty but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless.

The real PITA is for me to get my diff brackets back. I've only got 3 sets in the float & can only account for 1 (being modified for Jo as we speak). One set is lost somewhere in the UK & the other set is rumored to be somewhere in TX.

Ldub
11/10/2011, 05:46 AM
Nah, it's really not that bad. Sure, you'll spend at least a full day at the job ... & get reeeeeeeal dirty but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless.

The real PITA is for me to get my diff brackets back. I've only got 3 sets in the float & can only account for 1 (being modified for Jo as we speak). One set is lost somewhere in the UK & the other set is rumored to be somewhere in TX.

I agree, it WAS a pain to be under there getting all dirty & stuff...:smack:

But now, every time I look under there, & see how flat my CV shafts are, I get a big grin, & the feeling of satisfaction that only a job well done can bring...:yesgray:.:_wrench:

Y33TREKker
11/10/2011, 09:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, I used to spend my weekends grease-covered, swapping out motors after rebuilding them and adding extra go-fast parts in other cars I used to have, so I'm well aware of what qualifies as a PITA...regardless of whether I did it myself or not.

metalman1980
11/10/2011, 10:46 PM
A friend of mine just recently bought a VX since he liked mine so much. His had a blown motor, but other than that its in good shape. He paid 1800 bucks for it! He bought a 3.5 liter he paid 500 bucks for from a 98 trooper and put that in and it runs like a champ. He got a steal! What a great deal. Maybe you could have gone that route and replaced the motor. The only thing he had to do was put the VX intake manifold on it, but everything else is the same. Thats too bad you got rid of your VX, it looks sharp!

Ebenezr
11/11/2011, 05:51 AM
A friend of mine just recently bought a VX since he liked mine so much. His had a blown motor, but other than that its in good shape. He paid 1800 bucks for it! He bought a 3.5 liter he paid 500 bucks for from a 98 trooper and put that in and it runs like a champ. He got a steal! What a great deal. Maybe you could have gone that route and replaced the motor. The only thing he had to do was put the VX intake manifold on it, but everything else is the same. Thats too bad you got rid of your VX, it looks sharp!

Don't make me look back guys. I'm not looking back. I can't. I loved my VX. I would stand in my driveway and just look at it. It was beautiful. It had a bulldog stance like none other. I had 17,000.00 into it in 14 months and when I faced putting another 5,000.00 into it I just couldn't do it. It was/ is time to focus on fixing something else....like the house and my wife wanted me to have something that with 4 doors. She called it the Vehicurse. :)

VXR
11/11/2011, 07:48 PM
Don't make me look back guys

I think you are kinda lookin back everytime you come to this site:yesb:

Ebenezr
11/12/2011, 04:47 AM
I think you are kinda lookin back everytime you come to this site:yesb:

I have to drink another cup of coffee before I can think of a wittey comeback.

Ebenezr
11/12/2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3OnBva1jYM&feature=related :p