PDA

View Full Version : 2WD - Half-shafts removed

SilverBullet75
11/06/2011, 05:46 PM
So I just replaced my CV boots about 3 months ago and they ripped again. The other day I was on surface streets and the VX starts making a thump thump sound from the left front axle area. I limped it for about 10 miles, then it just stopped... Drove fine afterward. So I decided I need to make it safe until I decide to either diff drop or body lift. I pulled the half shafts out (2hr job).
I hate to say it but I love how it drives as a 2WD! I'm sure it would feel good too if the axles were level, but honestly I haven't done much off-roading in the last couple years. It's my daily highway transport right now.

So, question for those who have done this:
What did you do to cover the inner hub/wheel bearing area? Right now it's totally exposed to the elements.
Thanks,
Jim

VXorado
11/06/2011, 08:40 PM
I hate to say it but I love how it drives as a 2WD! I'm sure it would feel good too if the axles were level, but honestly I haven't done much off-roading in the last couple years. It's my daily highway transport right now.

I have to agree with you on the 2wd driving, I prefer it on dry road conditions over TOD. I think you should just fix the CV boots and reinstall the half shafts with manual hubs + the TOD off switch mod. The boots should last if you have the TOD off switch & then you'll really be 2wd rather than losing constant power to the front axle.

Triathlete
11/06/2011, 08:46 PM
x2 on manual hubs! I love mine.

SilverBullet75
11/06/2011, 11:32 PM
I have to agree with you on the 2wd driving, I prefer it on dry road conditions over TOD. I think you should just fix the CV boots and reinstall the half shafts with manual hubs + the TOD off switch mod. The boots should last if you have the TOD off switch & then you'll really be 2wd rather than losing constant power to the front axle.

So with these mods, the axles will not rotate, but the hubs/rotors will?
(not sure how they work... sorry for the ignorance)

Ldub
11/07/2011, 05:21 AM
I drove around for a few weeks this summer w/ no front axle or 1/2 shafts.

Had the same concerns with grease/bearing contamination.

I used an inside caliper to measure the diameter of the area where a temp cover would reside, then used a compass (circle drawing thingy) to mark the proper size disc on a plastic coffee can lid. (I prefer Folgers...Black Silk)

Then cut said disks, & pushed them into place from the back side.

They held up just fine, with no sign of distortion from heat...:_wrench:.:thumbup:

SilverBullet75
11/07/2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks Dub!
That's a great idea.

I'll also look into the manual hub + TOD switch mod.

Thanks all!

atilla_the_fun
11/07/2011, 12:01 PM
Which manual hubs are compatible with our CVs? Any that are on ebay from the early trooper or rodeo?

Triathlete
11/07/2011, 01:15 PM
Asins for 17 spline shafts from Troopers work great (what I have). Superwinch also makes them. If you watch the classifieds over on the Planet you can find them from time to time for $80 or less. Or you can scoure your local u-pull its.

JoFotoz
11/07/2011, 01:54 PM
A cheap alternative figured out at Moab last time...to get me home!!

Disconnect the TOD computer under passenger seat,
and remove the spline locking discs from the end of the hubs.

Source two cheap sponges to use as gasket material to replace disc thickness...tighten down with the dust caps.
Sponges can be trimmed for 'looks'!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/MOAB_2011_Little_camera_075.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21017)

This stops all drive to front shaft/axle etc.

I've been running like that since May..no issues.

jo

Ldub
11/07/2011, 02:00 PM
I've been running like that since May..no issues.

jo

And proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the VX is in fact...Sponge Worthy...:yesgray:

VXjunky
11/07/2011, 02:35 PM
now "THAT" was funny....kinky but funny

VXorado
11/15/2011, 04:07 PM
So with these mods, the axles will not rotate, but the hubs/rotors will?
(not sure how they work... sorry for the ignorance)

Correct, the manual hubs allow the wheels to free spin from the axles and the TOD off switch stops the transfer case from sending power to the front axle.

SilverBullet75
11/16/2011, 06:16 AM
Cool. Makes sence now. I'll have to look into it.
Thanks!

So, JoFotoz, your hub sponge trick just mimics the manual hub, correct?

tom4bren
11/16/2011, 06:39 AM

For the unlock position ... yes

But - you'll lose the clip ring that holds the splined shaft in place. If you've taken out the half shafts, I wouldn't do that. The splined shaft that goes through the hub will have NOTHING holding it in place and will go flying down the road at some point.

JoFotoz
11/16/2011, 12:14 PM
Yup...

...and disconnecting the TOD plug mimics the TOD off switch.

Its was a " stoop fix".. to stop front diff turning ..
... ie:- no shaft drive input from transfer case, and no half shaft rotation front wheel turning input..
....... in order to to get me home from Moab after I chewed up the front diff !!

I will be getting Hubs and a TOD off switch...one day!

jo

rowhard
11/16/2011, 03:05 PM
I will be getting Hubs and a TOD off switch...one day!

jo

before or after you get a replacement diff

JoFotoz
11/16/2011, 03:12 PM
I have the replacement diff.....

before or after you get a replacement diff

....did a deal with Ryan (Littlebeast)

Waiting for diff drop brackets....then its :smack: time...
....and I'll do it all in one go.

At least...thats the plan :p

(Though the TOD switch may be a Jack job at Moab if he's up for it...
...I aint very pro-ficiant-like at electrics !)

jo

tom4bren
11/16/2011, 03:21 PM
Was supposed to go see Welder Guy today. I'm still at work tho so rekin it's not happening tonight. If I don't get there tomorrow, I should make it on Friday. I'm pretty sure he's got the diff drops done.

JoFotoz
11/16/2011, 03:24 PM
No worries at all Tom...

Was supposed to go see Welder Guy today. I'm still at work tho so rekin it's not happening tonight. If I don't get there tomorrow, I should make it on Friday. I'm pretty sure he's got the diff drops done.

.....it will be at least a few weeks before I have the time to git 'er done!

jo

rowhard
11/16/2011, 06:22 PM
hope you can take some nice, 'this is how you do it photo's. Your taking on allot of projects some of us will/want/have to do some day:happyface

VXorado
11/16/2011, 09:02 PM
hope you can take some nice, 'this is how you do it photo's. Your taking on allot of projects some of us will/want/have to do some day:happyface

They're already available in the how-to section :grino:. At least for the diff drop & TOD off switch.

JoFotoz
11/17/2011, 11:03 AM
Yup...

They're already available in the how-to section :grino:. At least for the diff drop & TOD off switch.

...what he said...and great info that I'll be referring to..alot!!

I'll try and get it together to do a Diff fix bit....basically it will be a third member swap.
I dont think we have one of those yet.

jo

tom4bren
11/21/2011, 04:13 AM
Jo,

Welder Guy was ... um ... well ... welding when I got there on Friday. He's done with your diff drops except for cleaning & painting. I'll see if I can get out there later this week (tight week though since I'm only off on Thursday & Wifey expects me to be home on Thanksgiving).

tom4bren
11/21/2011, 07:15 AM
Jo,

I may be able to hand deliver those diff drops. Looks like I need to go to Yuma next week and will fly in & out of San Diego.

Tom