PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust and grime removal??

Triathlete
11/14/2011, 01:35 PM
Looking for recommendations for a chemical product that will remove surface rust and grease/grime from metal. Looking for something available to the general public, doesn't require special equipment and is relatively safe. You know, something that can be brushed/sprayed on and hosed off. This will be used on an axle housing by the way.

rsteinmetz70112
11/14/2011, 01:47 PM
Naval Jelly works just fine, it can be washed off.

Here's the MSDS
http://www.henkelcamsds.com/pdf/235119_553472_Loctite_Naval_Jelly_01_%2080276_01_8 0277.pdf

Should be pretty available. Lowes and Ace both list the Loctite Brand

atilla_the_fun
11/14/2011, 02:02 PM
Naval Jelly is Phosphoric Acid in a gel. It all really depends on the metal. You may not be happy with the results. The best way to get rid of the rust entirely will be physical abrasion like sanding or sand-blasting. Some stores sell a rust "converter" which stabilizes the iron oxide to a paintable surface.

I've tried Naval Jelly on old Alfa Romeo rotor/dust covers and found that even after 10s of minutes it barely removed any rust from the part. Sanding was the only way to fix that. I believe the porosity of the metal is very important to the various acidic treatments.

Osteomata
11/14/2011, 02:05 PM
I have found that naval jelly requires a good amount of elbow grease with a bristle brush or more to get anything more than very light rust off.

On this topic, what does the collected wisdom recommend for smaller pieces, like cladding screws and things, that are starting to get a bit of rust, or maybe have more than a bit? I seem to recall someone soaking their small bits and pieces overnight in a chemical before applying a rust stop type coating and paint. Might be useful for Tri's application as well.

atilla_the_fun
11/14/2011, 02:08 PM
That overnight chemical would probably be a liquid Phosphoric Acid. If you aren't in a hurry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_z4tinnXk

The rust stop coating would be difficult to apply onto the bolts and screws. It may be best to get new ones or get alloy or a non rusting variety of hardware.

Cobrajet
11/14/2011, 03:28 PM
On this topic, what does the collected wisdom recommend for smaller pieces, like cladding screws and things, that are starting to get a bit of rust, or maybe have more than a bit?When I was restoring my Cobra, every nut, bolt and bracket that wasn't new was treated to cleaning with a wire brush on my bench grinder. Some took a little more work, but they all looked like new by the time I was done. A few larger pieces were then sprayed with Nyalic coating from the Eastwood Company. A quick Google search seems to show that they no longer carry Nyalic spray, but they should have something equivalent. For removing grease I usually use Bleche-Wite or Simple Green. I have used Bleche-Wite on my tires for decades.

Ldub
11/14/2011, 04:07 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14324&highlight=rust+remover

But since it's an axle housing, I'd use a wire wheel on a mini grinder.

nfpgasmask
11/14/2011, 04:24 PM
I was recently told to try CLR. I am going to give it a go on the Impulse coolant hard lines. A lot of built up rust in the lines and they need to be cleaned out...parts discontinued. :(

Bart

JoFotoz
11/14/2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a quick once over with a media blaster would be ideal...

...probably OK $'s wise if you take into account Chems/grind wheels/time etc.

jo

Triathlete
11/14/2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a quick once over with a media blaster would be ideal...

...probably OK $'s wise if you take into account Chems/grind wheels/time etc.

jo

Time is the one thing I have!:bwgy:

LittleBeast
11/14/2011, 05:12 PM
I got a spray gel from Pepboys paint department and it is awesome. Once I over sprayed on some paint and the next day it scraped off down to bare metal and I just put some touch up paint on it. It says that it removes rust and preps for paint and it has done just that for me multiple times, works perfect on old ball joints, and axle housing. I don't remember the name I am not at the house right now, but it is in a white bottle with a squeeze trigger on it.

Triathlete
11/14/2011, 05:50 PM
That sounds like what I am looking for Ryan. If you remember the name let me know. If not I will just search the shelves.
Once it is stripped and cleaned up I am going to tear it down and will paint it with spray-on truck bed liner.

LittleBeast
11/14/2011, 11:46 PM
Permatex - Rust Dissolver Gel - item# 82138

It has worked good for me.

Ingredients: phosphoric acid, polysaccharide, 2-propanol, surfactant, silicon dioxide, amorphous

Riff Raff
11/15/2011, 12:12 AM
Permatex - Rust Dissolver Gel - item# 82138

It has worked good for me.

Ingredients: phosphoric acid, polysaccharide, 2-propanol, surfactant, silicon dioxide, amorphous

Here's the Permatex product "link":

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/cleaners1/specialty_cleaners/Permatex_Rust_Dissolver_Gel.htm

:bgwb:

Triathlete
11/15/2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks Ryan!

nfpgasmask
11/15/2011, 09:02 AM
Last night I soaked two rusty corroded water pipes from Impulse in a pan of CLR cut with water about 10:1. Within 30 minutes, the CLR basically dissolved the zinc coating on the outside of the pipes and went to work loosening up the corrosion on the inside. So, it actually works pretty well but I will need to paint the pipes now.

Bart

circmand
11/15/2011, 01:02 PM
When I was restoring my Cobra, every nut, bolt and bracket that wasn't new was treated to cleaning with a wire brush on my bench grinder. .

What is your distance record on shooting a screw across the shop?