PDA

View Full Version : Retired my VX

Heraclid
12/01/2011, 04:06 PM
It's been a long time since I was active on this board, but I figured I'd check in and post an update to those of you who are still around from back then. My VX just became impractical for my situation and while the powertrain was holding up fine, lots of other little things that were really annoying kept happening. My windows NEVER worked properly, haven't been able to listen to anything but the radio for a while now, it would be unlocked but not open, was no good for hauling around all my gear (especially gas-powered equipment when the windows didn't work - not even healthy) or my family, etc., etc. It's a bittersweet moment because I loved my VX. I got my 1999 Astral silver VX used in May 2003 and it served me pretty well for the last 8+ years. For any Florida VXer's interested, I still have the original shocks (one has a small hole in the boot), spare front end and rear end polypropylene pieces, and the piece that goes on the rear door.

Tried to post pics of my new ride but there's some issue and I haven't been able to so here's a link...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2499420578772.126989.1650656144&type=1

The new ride is a Black Pearl Metallic Dodge Ram 1500 SLT "Outdoorsman" Crew Cab. I bought it last Saturday, and yesterday Raptor black oval step bars and a spray-in bedliner were installed. It has the Ram Boxes on either side of the bed (locakble, drainable storage bins) and lots of other storage possibilities. The interior is outstanding and very roomy. I am very impressed with the ride and handling (independent rear suspension, not leaf springs). It has the 5.7 L Hemi V8 rated at 390 hp and 407 ft lbs of torque.

VX KAT
12/01/2011, 04:10 PM
It says "This content is currently unavailable" when I click on that link....but congrats to you, sounds like a really nice truck....and it's a Hemi V8...bet it gets better MPG than your VX....er, well, at least mine... :laugho:

Heraclid
12/01/2011, 04:21 PM
It says "This content is currently unavailable" when I click on that link....but congrats to you, sounds like a really nice truck....and it's a Hemi V8...bet it gets better MPG than your VX....er, well, at least mine... :laugho:

Will keep trying to upload pics here, but keep getting an error message about something not being supported, even though I'm not even using that. :confused:

My VX averaged 17 mpg. The new Ram truck is averaging 15 mpg. It runs on 4 cylinders some times to save on gas. It constantly tells me what I'm averaging in real time. I did once get 18 on one short trip, but so far it is almost always 15-point-something and occasionally in the 16's. The published numbers for it are 14 city/20 highway.

Ldub
12/01/2011, 04:24 PM
Dibs on the shocks if we can come to an agreement on price, & if they're able to fully extend themselves because there is still nitrogen in them.

Shoot me a pm with your asking price.

Oh...BTW...I see running boards in your future...:smilewink

Mile High VX
12/01/2011, 04:41 PM
I'd be interested in the front and rear cladding pieces depending on price and condition?

PM me with what you need to have.

deermagnet
12/01/2011, 04:46 PM
The new ride is a Black Pearl Metallic Dodge Ram 1500 SLT "Outdoorsman" Crew Cab.

WOW, what a truck! I traded a flame red Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the old 318 to get my VX way back in the day. We had another member a while back trade their VX for Dodge Ram.

That's the only vehicle I would own besides my VX. Enjoy it. :_steering

Mark

Heraclid
12/01/2011, 07:10 PM
Hope this works...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/392672_2499420698775_1650656144_2392375_798644370_ n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303025_2499421058784_1650656144_2392376_1200916054 _n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375268_2499421298790_1650656144_2392378_2033506052 _n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382699_2499421738801_1650656144_2392379_1804158498 _n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384445_2499422378817_1650656144_2392381_1384862244 _n.jpg

I've added step bars and a spray-in bedliner in the past few days since these photos.

Wow, you folks are like wolves circling a lamb when it comes to parts. :D Was hoping someone close by might want them, but if I get no bites we can talk other possibilities. Got a truck payment now, shipping this stuff would probably be expensive? I'd let any of it go if you just pay shipping. I got them used from a guy here who used to have a VX. They're used, never been mounted on my VX. Not in perfect condition, but heck, they're better than the ones that were on my VX by the time I traded it in, probably would be pretty nice if you throw on some Back-to-Black or whatever you use for your cladding. Will try to post pics soon. Actually, got wheels and tires from him too. Wouldn't trust the tires, but I guess if someone wanted some steel wheels they could bang around a bit...

Kinda thinking my new truck would look pretty nice with black wheels, and I saw some I really like yesterday. Hmmm. :D

VXorado
12/01/2011, 08:08 PM
:) Nice truck, I think the Dodge Ram 1500 is the best looking half ton out there. I had a 2007 Toyota Tundra that I sold a couple months ago to get out of truck payments. I definitely miss the space & comfort of the Tundra but don't mind the extra money in the bank :thumbup:.

WormGod
12/02/2011, 06:57 AM
Sad to see this news, but.... a Dodge Ram?

Lemme que up my usual obligatory giant American car ref.... now where is that thing.... ah, here we go...

http://primemovers00.tripod.com/landyacht.gif

;)

Traitor. Don't let the door hit ya in the arse in ya way out! (In other words, enjoy, and come back soon ya hear) :bgwo:

Heraclid
12/02/2011, 08:13 AM
:) Nice truck, I think the Dodge Ram 1500 is the best looking half ton out there. I had a 2007 Toyota Tundra that I sold a couple months ago to get out of truck payments. I definitely miss the space & comfort of the Tundra but don't mind the extra money in the bank :thumbup:.

I hear ya... the only reason this happened is I work two jobs now and I lucked into getting a great deal on a truck I normally couldn't afford.

I think they had a hard time moving it so they were motivated to deal. Could be a lot of things, don't know. Black truck in Florida = very hot. Metallic paint = harder to fix. Crew Cab = short bed, which is fine for me, maybe not for a lot of guys (mine is 5'7" vs. 6'4" or 8'). The Ram Box feature is only available on Crew Cab models, and while I love it, many may think they lose too much space with them or opted for dual exhaust and larger wheels instead (Bighorn version). Actually, it just fills up the space over the wheel wells that often isn't used anyway. Mine has 17" wheels (which I actually prefer having driven both) instead of 20's like the Bighorn version, and also doesn't have a dual exhaust setup, which looks pretty nice. Mine has the body color grill - maybe many prefer the chrome grill and accents on other Ram models. I wasn't planning on buying quite yet, but in my case it was exactly what I wanted, it just fell into my lap and the circumstance were right, so I jumped on it.

Would not have chosen black normally but in every other way if was exaclty how I wanted it. Now I am actually really liking it, and I actually prefer the blacked out grill area and think it looks better than if it had chrome there. In fact, I'm thinking I'd like to maybe get some black wheels for it. :yesy: I've always thought nothing looks better than a very clean black vehicle. It's also probably the hardest to keep that way. :o

Ya know, when I started looking, I was shopping the Kia Sportage against the FJ Cruiser, but I would often toss in the Tundra on some of the websites where you can compare up to 3 vehicles head-to-head. That was initially the truck I was most interested in. One of the biggest things that killed the Toyotas for me was the wimpy 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. The Kia had 10 yrs/100,000. Problem is, if my wife's Sedona is any indication, you'd probably have to use it alot too (hers has had lots of little but annoying things come up). The Dodge Ram is 5 yrs/100,000. My brother in law who lives with us was also too cramped in the back of the FJ. We found the Ram Quad Cabs to be a bit too small also, so we got a Crew Cab.

The Ram now has an independent rear suspension and all of its competitors wear leaf springs in the rear, so the Ram's ride is nicer (for now). The Ram V6 is underpowered and then there are two V8 options(4.7 L 310 hp and 5.7 L Hemi 390 hp). This one just happened to have the Hemi, and I have to say I LOVE the engine. :bwgy: And it is nice to have a vehicle sound nice but not obnoxious and still be quiet in the cabin under acceleration. The PowerVault muffler on my VX had gotten loud to the point that it had quit being enjoyable and was just irritating me. The Hemi-powered Ram just doesn't even break a sweat when the VX would have been sweating bullets. I drive conservatively nowadays, but this thing has serious punch when you want it.

When I got the VX I swore I'd never go back to a car, and figured I'd always be in SUVs. The funny thing is, I was never much into trucks. Maybe it's getting older or whatever, but I am getting more practical and want something very versatile. My wife and I want to have kids and her tall autistic brother lives with us, so while she has a minivan, I like the redundancy of having a second vehicle that can cart us all around also, with back doors instead of having to be a contortionist to crawl in and out. I want to do more outdoor activities and haul around the gear that goes with it. It was really the interior design (lots of storage compartments) of the Ram that first got my attention when I was watching video reviews online. My VX tended to be cluttered. With the Ram, I can have all sorts of stuff in it and it will still look empty. I some times haul around gas-powered equipment and the interior of the VX reeked of gas and that can't be healthy - a truck bed fixes that.

Haha Wormgod, good to see you're still around. Hey, I've been a stranger here for years now anyway. Yeah, didn't see myself getting a full-size pickup until quite recently, but life happens and changes need to be made. Like I said above, I even briefly considered FJ Cruisers! I know there are posts on this board from years gone by where I said I didn't care one bit for them, but they grew on me. Dare I say I even looked at the 4-door Jeep Wranglers?! Just not a lot of bang for the buck with those I thought (too expensive for what they are).

bearandbee
12/02/2011, 10:49 AM
I ll take the back tire cover and did u say u were selling Rims? Shipping to 30101.

Heraclid
12/02/2011, 06:02 PM
No back tire cover panel - what I have is the small exterior cladding material that goes over where the word ISUZU is/was on the back of a VX. The half moon or whatever it is we call it around here (it's been a while for me).

Not asking anything for this stuff, no cost to you other than shipping. Will try to get pics posted tomorrow, but got a lot going on... none of this stuff is new, but it's in decent shape. Wasn't mine, got it from another local VXer who used to be on here too. I know the front piece is missing the cover for the license plate bracket. Wheels are nothing special, good for someone who does off-roading.

VX KAT
12/02/2011, 08:54 PM
No back tire cover panel - what I have is the small exterior cladding material that goes over where the word ISUZU is/was on the back of a VX. The half moon or whatever it is we call it around here (it's been a while for me).

Not asking anything for this stuff, no cost to you other than shipping. Will try to get pics posted tomorrow, but got a lot going on... none of this stuff is new, but it's in decent shape. Wasn't mine, got it from another local VXer who used to be on here too. I know the front piece is missing the cover for the license plate bracket. Wheels are nothing special, good for someone who does off-roading.

Hey David- Good to hear from ya. I'll take the half moon piece.
I'll PM you.

Chopper
12/03/2011, 05:36 AM
hate to lose a Fla VX
See ya around Jax Bud
good luck with the Fiat

johnnyapollo
12/03/2011, 06:31 AM
Hey David,

Sorry to see you leave the fold! Have you called Joe up about the parts? I'm sure he'd come by for them.

-- John

Chopper
12/03/2011, 06:59 AM
David?
Did you sell/trade the VX? Where? How much? I may try to get it back if they auction it....(perfect LS1/4sp candidate and I have the parts and goodies all at hand)
and.....
Whatcha think of the coil spring rear?
(I like the idea....but I pull way too much weight....53', tri-axle, Gooseneck car hauler. The big shiny Dually-Diesel Sivlerado does it....Yeoman style:bgwo:) ) Good luck Bud

Heraclid
12/06/2011, 06:42 PM
Chopper, sent ya a PM...

John, Joe was the first person I contacted (via Facebook), but I've heard nothing back yet.

Everyone, I referenced I was trying to find any FL VXers interested first... honestly I'd rather put this stuff in the truck bed and go meet someone in person who can see exactly what condition they're in and make a decision and avoid shipping hassles. So far no bites, and if that continues I'll respond to you each individually and we can go from there if it comes to it. Sorry if I haven't answered all the PM's, got a lot going on.

VX Kat, yes I am still aiming for vet school, can't say for sure that's where I'll end up but it will be something along those lines. After this spring semester I will be transferring to complete my bachelor's and after that, will give vet school a shot.

VX KAT
12/06/2011, 09:29 PM
oh please-oh please...can I still get the half moon piece :flower::flower:

RodL
12/14/2012, 04:26 AM
It looks like I ended up with the VX from this conversation. Am taking it in to have the Radiator replaced today and find out what is up with the A/C. It worked last Friday evening in Tampa when I tested it on my test drive. Sunday after I got back home no cold air. Hooked to gauges and shows a charge, compressor runs but apparently just pushing freon around too fast for it to cool. Mechanic said possibly the expansion valve. That's under the dash I think so will be a pretty penny to fix. Let me know if there is anything else I need to take a look at. I plan on having it for the long haul and want to stay on top of things as much as possible.

Rod

johnnyapollo
12/15/2012, 04:02 AM
Most of the HVAC components are under the dash on the passenger side (or behind the central column) - both are fairly accessible once you remove the glove box (4 screws) so the entire dash may not have to be removed.

-- John

RodL
12/15/2012, 04:21 AM
Thank you John,

I dropped the VX off at the shop yesterday and ordered a new Kenwood Radio to be put in at the same time. Currently has the Isuzu with the cassette. Put a cassette (load adapter) in to be able to listen to Slacker on my phone but the cassette wouldn't engage. Cant get the cassette out now either. Shop foreman loved his Kenwood with blue tooth. We will see what next week brings.

Rod

Hcloud13
12/15/2012, 07:38 AM
It worked last Friday evening in Tampa when I tested it on my test drive.
Rod

Holy crap! another VX owner near me!? I'm always in tampa,I was born & raised there.I now live in Brooksville...it's about 30min drive to tampa.

If you ever want to meet up let me know:yeso:

RodL
12/17/2012, 04:27 AM
Holy crap! another VX owner near me!? I'm always in tampa,I was born & raised there.I now live in Brooksville...it's about 30min drive to tampa.

If you ever want to meet up let me know:yeso:

I actually am across the state and south. About 2 and a half hours across HWY 60 and down the Turnpike. There were two VX's for sale within a few miles of each other. I managed to look at and purchase one of them. Maybe I should have looked at both but the photos of the one I got looked a bit better than the other and when I looked at the car in person, the photos didn't lie. Hopefully the A/C won't cost an arm and a leg to get working. Seems like everything else is in very good condition, despite my seeing the car run through a few "Rally" events in the photo page here.

Rod